Notices

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Version 0.0.6-1 has been uploaded to the repository.

Fixes:
* Small thread bug connected to GUI updates.
* Small change in startup graphics.

Changes:
+ Repeat works better now.
+ End of playlist is handled better if there is no Repeat.
+ Shuffle is almost working. Try to start a new song if it stops playing when a new song should be started automatically.

To note:
Shuffle can, still, only be started before playing the first song or just after a playlist has ended.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joorin For This Useful Post:
is the client fairly stable? I don't want to install apps that can brick my device, is it safe to install or should i wait a bit longer?

not sure if it can help at all, but i remember yaspot had the same issue with the music stuttering when the screen dimmed however that was fixed in the latest release... i guess it might be the same problem?

thanks

Posts: 424 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sweden
What do you mean by:
Local meta-data cache.

Is it offline Playlists? Or just songnames, albumarts and so on?

Originally Posted by orcocan View Post
is the client fairly stable? I don't want to install apps that can brick my device, is it safe to install or should i wait a bit longer?
It is always unwise to promise that something will not happen, but bricking your device via footify sounds so unlikely that I'd have to say that I find it almost impossible. There are no kernel modules that get installed, no basic component gets updated and all components that I use are standard and well tested.

The only unstable parts are libdespotify itself (which works very well as is) and the connection between my GUI and libdespotify. If you haven't installed something else that tries to abuse PulseAudio in some weird way, I'd say footify is pretty stable.

The feature that is the least stable is Shuffle so if you really need this to work, you might want to wait a bit if stability is your primary concern.

not sure if it can help at all, but i remember yaspot had the same issue with the music stuttering when the screen dimmed however that was fixed in the latest release... i guess it might be the same problem?
If there is an easy fix to handle this, I'm interested. If the fix is more complicated, I'd say that makes it uninteresting to implement since I don't see one short hickup in sound as such a big problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joorin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by toxaris View Post
What do you mean by:
Local meta-data cache.

Is it offline Playlists? Or just songnames, albumarts and so on?
Cover art is a good example. More is saved locally but I haven't investigated what exactly. As soon as I get around to adding support for it, I'll compile a list.

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
I've made a logo for you... its not perfect but I personally prefer this one over the current (no offense everyone got his or her own taste right)... If you want to use it its okay by me. I've also uploaded the PSD file if you want to edit it. And i can remove the shadow (or modify the shadow and fine-tune the picture to your liking if you want.

As you might have noticed its basically a mockup of the gnome and the spotify logo, so i take no credit for the design. I just wanted to express my preference

EDIT:
When the file was uploaded as an attachment it was converted to jpeg and transparency was removed. the psd has transparency.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip gnome-spotify.psd.zip (101.9 KB, 168 views)

Last edited by Siggen; 2010-06-05 at 13:54.

The Following User Says Thank You to Siggen For This Useful Post:
Version 0.0.7-1 has been uploaded to the Extras-devel repository.

New features:
+ It is now possible to choose between high and low bitrate.
+ It is now possible to enable local cache of cover art, album information and playlists.

Changes:
* The debug message from the sound layer has been removed.

To think about:
The cache is located in /home/user/.cache/despotify and it's important to remember that this is in the 2GByte "program partition". If you'd like to allow for a bigger cache, you need to create a symlink to somewhere under MyDocs and hope it works. I have not tried this.

Please experiment with high and low bitrates and report if it changes the behaviour of the client. It's extra interesting to know if lots of big playlists still is a problem or not.

Playlists handling seems to be atomic in despotify. This means that if you change one playlist, all playlists will be downloaded again. This might be by design by Spotify.

If you change the settings for bitrate and cache, please wait a moment for the change to reach the gconf system before clicking Login. I have no idea why it sometimes takes a while.

Originally Posted by Siggen View Post
I've made a logo for you... its not perfect but I personally prefer this one over the current (no offense everyone got his or her own taste right)... If you want to use it its okay by me. I've also uploaded the PSD file if you want to edit it. And i can remove the shadow (or modify the shadow and fine-tune the picture to your liking if you want.

As you might have noticed its basically a mockup of the gnome and the spotify logo, so i take no credit for the design. I just wanted to express my preference

EDIT:
When the file was uploaded as an attachment it was converted to jpeg and transparency was removed. the psd has transparency.
Thank you for the new logo. The only problem I have with it is the GNOME foot.

I intentionally did something that looked like a footprint but not the GNOME footprint so this is not something that I'd use.

If you want to keep the creative flow going, I'd suggest dropping the shadow, tilting the foot as in the present logo and making it less GNOME. Then I'd have less problems with it.

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
Originally Posted by Joorin View Post
Thank you for the new logo. The only problem I have with it is the GNOME foot.

I intentionally did something that looked like a footprint but not the GNOME footprint so this is not something that I'd use.

If you want to keep the creative flow going, I'd suggest dropping the shadow, tilting the foot as in the present logo and making it less GNOME. Then I'd have less problems with it.
I was just thinking since Hildon is based on gnome :P
But if I remove the shadow, tilt the foot, and make it less Gnome, then we would have your current logo :P

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
That logo sure does look good, but it being the GNOME foot bothers me as well.

Also, I think it could be made to remind people of the original Spotify logo a little better. Maybe just make a simpler foot with more "space in it" to include a portion of the Spotify logo.

Tags
client, despotify, gtk+2.0, spotify