Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I can't recall all the detail, a large chunk of it bolied down to; having a proven track record, a device to show to ODM's in a working state, & to showcase the full potential of the sw.
Also IIRC one of the factors was that they wanted to ensure they had a regular revenue stream, they couldn't take the risk of relying solely on wealthy backers/loans etc.
And IIRC the original intent wasn't necessarily for it to be a definite long term thing, but after a short time it became that, as they saw so many inherent benefits...

They've detailed several times why it was important to them, & why it wasn't as simple as saying: Here, take our license for this sw & you -largely- take care of the hw & sell the end product.
That would've been their preference, as they saw themselves (& still primarily do) 1st & foremost as a sw co, but they determined it wasn't going to work -entirely- that way, for them.
To move forward they had to have device(s) in the game too, I remember vociferously arguing against it in the earliest days, I didn't get it, they explained a lot back then & thereafter.
Too bad I don't have a photographic memory, just CBF'd trying to find it in that last post (nor now), perhaps stskeeps will fill-in-the-gaps/refresh-our-collective-memories...

@stskeeps, I don't suppose you can flesh-this-out with lots more detail?
Update: He refuses to, oh well, if they want misinfo/misunderstanding around this subject to perpetuate, that's their problem.

Last edited by jalyst; 2015-02-19 at 03:32.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Ubuntu Phone: Is It Worth It? (Aquaris E4.5)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0oQy7jgH_w

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
Once you've had a Jolla phones with a 'Home' button on the front seem really funny don't they?
i cannot tolreate touchscreens with buttons on the front
look at n9 & n900 funny arent they
my first priority is no buttons on front or hell no bezels

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Ubuntu Phone: Is It Worth It? (Aquaris E4.5)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0oQy7jgH_w
like the swiping.

scopes are a waste of time, just as n900 widgets were.

if it was android we'd call it landfill.

os not as pretty as sailfish, but worthy alternative.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
scopes are a waste of time, just as n900 widgets were.
Oh, by the way, have you seen my latest n900 widget? It keeps track of the most recent podcast on a given RSS stream, showing you what it contains and letting you play it at a touch:

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
It's funny how corporations succeed selling crippled systems as "improvements" and masses swallow it, isn't it? No widgets? They were "outdated"! No status bar? We are "removing clutter". No more than 3 apps running (2 if one of them is a browser with more than one tab open)? That's obviously "improving user experience"

Last edited by pichlo; 2015-02-14 at 20:24. Reason: s/clatter/clutter (D'oh!)

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
You know why? Os itself is no longer the main thing for the masses but easy access to serviceş. Most services get most users stop talking about Oses. Nobody cares

BR,
The mass

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
It's funny how corporations succeed selling crippled systems as "improvements" and masses swallow it, isn't it? No widgets? They were "outdated"! No status bar? We are "removing clutter". No more than 3 apps running (2 if one of them is a browser with more than one tab open)? That's obviously "improving user experience"
Yes, you're very right.
But the trade-offs they make are totally worth it for the average consumer who doesn't know how to place widgets, can't navigate the clutter and won't manage the running tasks.

I'm surprised everyday about the level of stupidity mankind can have.
I mean today I stumbled across this:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Lomak1581/videos

I'm flattered

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Flash Gordon sale coming up tomorrow...
Want an UbuntuPhone? Hit up the bqreaders website tomorrow at 8AM GMT — but you'll need to be quick! pic.twitter.com/DX2cEbbrrq

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Yes, you're very right.
But the trade-offs they make are totally worth it for the average consumer who doesn't know how to place widgets, can't navigate the clutter and won't manage the running tasks.

I'm surprised everyday about the level of stupidity mankind can have.
I mean today I stumbled across this:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Lomak1581/videos

Funny what the russians have to do to get some road rules!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bingomion For This Useful Post: