There is already an app that does a lot of what you are requesting, it's rachol's "I am here" application.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=50246

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Guys....most of this is already done. Just search for "I am here".

Edit: sorry, haven't seen previous post...

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Maidstone, UK
Originally Posted by zvogt View Post
The Iamhere app used the changing of the sim card as a trigger to send an out-bound sms/email. Once you recieve that, then you'd have the new number.
Thanks for that great idea. Only question is what happens if the new sim is PAYG with no credit, but we can think about that.

Originally Posted by tzsm98 View Post
Here is a possible flow for a device retrieval application

Front End

Have GUI request form that will:
  • Store the IMSI
  • Store emergency contact number
  • Allow owner to record 'This phone is lost or stolen, please contact (emergency contact number)'.
  • Prepend and append three loud beeps to message.
  • Store message in ringtone folder.

Back End
  • Have the N900 check the IMSI upon boot.
  • Compare the IMSI upon boot to stored IMSI
  • If same end
  • If current IMSI<> than stored IMSI then collect new IMSI; new Caller Line number, active cell, GPS coordinates.
  • Set profile to General
  • Set ringtone to 'this phone is lost or stolen, please contact (stored emergency contact number)
  • Write collected information to SMS.
  • Send SMS to emergency contact number.
  • Take front photo
  • Send front photo to emergency contact number using fMMS.
  • Using cpufreq command set maximum frequency to 250 MHz
  • Set phone to reboot every 180 seconds.

This will send, at three minute intervals, the new number, IMSI, image, active cell and GPS location of the phone. This will also semi-cripple the device through repeated rebooting and low processer speed.
I'm not sure the rebooting is a good idea. I'm sure I read reports that rebooting drains between 9 and 15% of battery power each time. It might be worth checking this out.

Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
There is already an app that does a lot of what you are requesting, it's rachol's "I am here" application.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=50246
I am aware of the "i am here" app, but it appears that it is not being maintained any more. I would definitely love to be able to build upon the existing app and create a full-featured one worthy of the extras repository.

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by Quasar View Post
Guys....most of this is already done. Just search for "I am here".

Edit: sorry, haven't seen previous post...
"I am Here" looks like a super application. It does the communication and location aspects of the anti-theft application being dreamed about in this thread.

Some of the posters have been thinking of ways to partially disable the device and/or secure the information in it upon SIM card change. The OP seemed to have information security as much as locating the lost device in mind.

Should this thread be in "Brainstorming"?

This was in the good start with iamhere. If rachol do not want or have extra time to keep up the good work, someone could continue with the source.

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Maidstone, UK
Originally Posted by tzsm98 View Post
"I am Here" looks like a super application. It does the communication and location aspects of the anti-theft application being dreamed about in this thread.

Some of the posters have been thinking of ways to partially disable the device and/or secure the information in it upon SIM card change. The OP seemed to have information security as much as locating the lost device in mind.

Should this thread be in "Brainstorming"?
I am not hugely worried about disabling the device except as a last resort, as you can already add your device to an international blacklist which means that it won't be admitted onto most networks.

The primary focus of this idea is damage limitation. I want to adopt a progressive approach to limiting the repercussions of losing the phone. Therefore, in the first instance, the most sensitive data (i.e stored passwords etc) must be secured so that the thief cannot do further damage by gaining access to your online "persona".

Secondly, data which wouldn't benefit a thief, but is important to the owner (eg. calendar, contacts, photos, messages etc) is retrieved.

From here on, various efforts can be made to locate and retrieve the device while safe in the knowledge that, should everything fail, both the sim and the device can be disabled and you've "only" lost a phone (as opposed to identity theft and loss of data).

I did consider putting this in Brainstorming, however, I thought it is more of a request/announcement as I intend to push on with this to the best of my ability and I am looking for help with it.

Originally Posted by zimon View Post
This was in the good start with iamhere. If rachol do not want or have extra time to keep up the good work, someone could continue with the source.
I am going to try to get hold of the source code for "iamhere" and maybe, if I'm lucky, get hold of rachol and see if we can work together.

The Following User Says Thank You to elepedus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 144 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Israel
Why not make it so that on your authorization the device sends a million sms messages or something..

The Following User Says Thank You to late666 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 73 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Austria (no kangaroos over here)
Originally Posted by late666 View Post
Why not make it so that on your authorization the device sends a million sms messages or something..
This would even make more sense, if the number would be like greenpeace's or something else where you make a donation of $ 5 per SMS

CU - M_99 (sorry for being OT, but the idea gabe me a lol )

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Portland OR USA
OP I think you are on the right track... how about crippling the device after every reboot? Also encrypting the password /conversation files by default? Have to find/run a script that is hidden / queries for password, that would then un-cripple & un-encrypt the password / conversation files till the system powers off?

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2010-08-16 at 13:33. Reason: removing reply to deleted trolling

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Austria (no kangaroos over here)
What I've learnt is that Einstein was right, and human stupidity is endless - NOTHING is save from those Buttheads and in fact it's not only about the lack of money, but also just for no other reason than to cause harm to another one

It's not the money what I'm concerned, but more the personal data on my device which I don't want to know in somwone others hands.

CU - M_99

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2010-08-16 at 13:34. Reason: removing reply to deleted trolling

The Following User Says Thank You to M_99 For This Useful Post:

Tags
steal my n900