Active Topics

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Tauranga, NZ
Look what came in my email today from Bugzilla...

------- Comment #103 from kimmo.hamalainen@nokia.com 2007-09-25 09:45 GMT+3 -------
It's a kernel issue and it's being fixed.

At last some acknowledgement from Nokia - wonder how far away that fix is.

For me - that nice 8Gb card is going back in it's case and waiting.

Last edited by BarneyC; 2007-09-25 at 09:08. Reason: forgot part of title

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
I guess if there hadn't been prompting in Bugzilla for a progress update, Nokia would have kept silent and pulled another rabbit out of the hat (ie. provided a fix) with the next firmware release - in the meantime we would have continued devoting our time to filing more bug reports even though the problem had been isolated and fixed (think: touchscreen issues).

What the fck is wrong with Nokia and their lack of communication skills? Even the post in the bug gives no detail of the problem - I guess we'll need to trawl the kernel commit log to get any idea what the problem is.

This bug was already fixed with the last firmware. One day after official release the bug was reopened again. I don't believe it until I have tested this fix

I don't understand why they don't provide patches or test-packages for testing. They should mention in bugzilla the specific code-lines that are affected! Perhaps Nokia never heard of opensource.

A full community test of the fix ahead of any official firmware release would seem a wise decision (at least 1 month soak test), along with a more detailed and open explanation of the problem itself... if it was a Nokia coding error all along I really don't care - it's not about pointing fingers, just being honest. I don't understand this degree of "secrecy" whenever there is a problem - it really doesn't help to engage the community, rather the complete opposite.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I don't think they are purposely attempting to keep us out of the loop. It's just that they, along with MANY other corporations, are used to the way things have been for them for years and years. Development is closed and you don't spill any beans for any reason whatsoever lest you be fired.

Nokia's not used to the open source way of doing things... and I'm sure the employees aren't either as the IT stuff is basically a small project... so they are still used to being weary of opening their mouths and so on. Constantly *****ing and moaning about it (and making mountains out of molehills) doesn't help matters. They know we want more open communication from them and it's been slowly getting better. It's just very hard to have that happen when the overwhelming corporate culture of the huge company you work for is so hush hush.

Back on topic, I'm glad to hear that the issue has finally been found and that it's a kernel issue rather than a hardware issue, though I realize that's little consolation for those of you that lost cards to the bug. I hope Nokia compensates you for the loss/trouble.

Last edited by zerojay; 2007-09-25 at 12:17.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by N770-Freak View Post
This bug was already fixed with the last firmware. One day after official release the bug was reopened again. I don't believe it until I have tested this fix

I don't understand why they don't provide patches or test-packages for testing. They should mention in bugzilla the specific code-lines that are affected! Perhaps Nokia never heard of opensource.
They can't really do that because all their source code releases have to be approved by a legal department and I don't think they want to have to approve every single two or three line change. It would be nice.

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Nokia's not used to the open source way of doing things... and I'm sure the employees aren't either as the IT stuff is basically a small project... so they are still used to being weary of opening their mouths and so on. Constantly *****ing and moaning about it (and making mountains out of molehills) doesn't help matters. They know we want more open communication from them and it's been slowly getting better. It's just very hard to have that happen when the overwhelming corporate culture of the huge company you work for is so hush hush.
I fully understand the reasons why the Nokians let very little slip, however despite many promises to improve the process there appears to be no real progress - this is incredibly frustrating. You'd have thought after 2+ years of "open source" development they might be using Bugzilla more productively, yet it still appears they are using it grudginly.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
I'm glad to hear that the issue has finally been found and that it's a kernel issue rather than a hardware issue, though I realize that's little consolation for those of you that lost cards to the bug.
It may be a bit misleading to call something either kernel or hardware issue. It is quite common that hardware has bugs which are worked around in kernel. So we'll see if this is really some software bug or next kernel will simply have some workaround for buggy hardware (i.e. OMAP MMC controller or whatever).

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

They can't really do that because all their source code releases have to be approved by a legal department and I don't think they want to have to approve every single two or three line change. It would be nice.
Or they could provide enough detail for some enterprising community kernel developer to apply the diff and release it unofficially. Currently we have neither

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
I don't want to see the whole sourcecode. But if the bug is kernel-related, I don't know why they shouldn't provide their changes in bugzilla. As far as I know: the kernel is opensource
(apart from binary-blobs)