If the voltage can be controled, we could try to undervolt for uncreasing battery life.
(setting voltage to the lowest step, where the cpu is stable)

But thats very unique processor specific, how much you can undervolt.

I highly doubt there will be a jump in proc speed for the n800.

On Nokia's site which lists the specs shows the n800 being able to run both 2007 and 2008 OS, but only one clock speed 330mhz.

The n810 is listed at 400mhz.

I would love to be able to overclock my n800 to 350+, especially if its a software utility that lets me change it on a whim, but I will not be getting my hopes up.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Is there any CPU benchmark utility for N800 I can try to test if Chinook indeed speed up the clock speed? (Obviously it has to be compatible with Chinook... most apps I have tried do not install... some simple command line version has the best chance to work.)

But based on the "feel" how zippy the Chinook feels on N800 I'd bet the 400MHz mode is supported.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Grue237 View Post
I highly doubt there will be a jump in proc speed for the n800.

On Nokia's site which lists the specs shows the n800 being able to run both 2007 and 2008 OS, but only one clock speed 330mhz.

The n810 is listed at 400mhz.

I would love to be able to overclock my n800 to 350+, especially if its a software utility that lets me change it on a whim, but I will not be getting my hopes up.
It has been stated several times already (in other threads, and on other fora) that OS2008 _will_ clock the N800 to 400MHz. Apparently this info came directly from Nokia (but I only saw the second-hand postings myself). Personally I don't see the need to doubt this, ref. what I wrote about over/underclocking of ARM CPUs in general. And as far as I know the N810 uses the exact same omap chip as the N800 as well.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
It has been stated several times already (in other threads, and on other fora) that OS2008 _will_ clock the N800 to 400MHz. Apparently this info came directly from Nokia (but I only saw the second-hand postings myself). Personally I don't see the need to doubt this, ref. what I wrote about over/underclocking of ARM CPUs in general. And as far as I know the N810 uses the exact same omap chip as the N800 as well.
... and from TI's documentation:

• Interface signals to manage monitoring, operation controlling, regulator voltage setting changes
Indicating it is soft switched by the firmware.

To complete the OMAP 2 system, TI offers System Power Managers for maximum battery life and overall system efficiency and performance.
The TWL92230 System Power Manager enables brilliant multimedia performance on demand without compromising standby and talk time capacity.

-Delivers highly power efficient OMAP 2 system solution
without performance compromises.

-Highly efficient voltage regulators

-Dynamic voltage management

-Low battery and thermal shutdown protection

-Combines power management circuitry and control logic
into highly integrated single chip

Please allow me to vent: people please stop asking the same questions and use the search feature? Or even Google it? This question has been asked multiple times and the definitive, official, and real answer is: Nokia "underclocked" the N800 CPU to 330MHz to get the power management code in the Linux kernel up to scratch. It seems that they have now solved the problem to their satisfaction, hence their moving onto the newer clock speed.
In terms of hardware topology, the N800 and N810 are IDENTICAL (except for the GPS and keyboard in the N810) and they are intended to co-exist -- the N810 is not intended to replace the N810 in any way, just to widen the market and attract more users and attention to the platform; after all, not everybody wants/needs a built-in GPS or keyboard. It is the same reason why Nokia sells the N95 and the 1110 at the same time: different people have different needs and/or expectations. Hence, N800 owners (me included) should not feel ripped off that Nokia decided to expand the IT range.
And to answer another common question, the N800 will run OS2008 as well as the N810 does since, to reiterate, they have the exact same hardware.

The Following User Says Thank You to convulted For This Useful Post:
What about OVERclocking. It's clear we go at 400Mhz. What about 450? 500? Not mainstream option. Just app/script/whatever if power consumption is not a concern, you are feel you are advanced enough and need more power?

Mara,

Try something like this: http://www.tux.org/~mayer/linux/bmark.html

Based on previous articles it doesn't sound like OS2008 bumps the cpu speed across the board; most stories have said speed increases by application, so I assume that means a feature has been added to OS2008 to allow developers to bump CPU speed as necessary, keeping in mind what it might do to battery life.

Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Is there any CPU benchmark utility for N800 I can try to test if Chinook indeed speed up the clock speed? (Obviously it has to be compatible with Chinook... most apps I have tried do not install... some simple command line version has the best chance to work.)
As quick and dirty (and unreliabe) way you could check the bogomips.

~ $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor : Some Random V6 Processor rev 2 (v6l)
BogoMIPS : 320.37
Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp java
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 6TEJ
CPU variant : 0x0
CPU part : 0xb36
CPU revision : 2
Cache type : write-back

Tags
omap2420