this has the potential to rock the n800/810....bring video playback to new heights right??....like, could be made default player in many apps if it does better than mplayer for playing back certain codecs....great job!!...this is awesome!

GreatJob it still is buggy .. Had to load it from a command line as there was no icon on n800 2008 after i installed it . Also i was hopeing that i can maybe stream my n800 camera from it .. Like peekaboo software . that will be cool but it looks like it was removed in this ver of VLC when i click open devices.

But other wise it works i played a around 5 videos and thay played ok it crashed on 2 of the videos.

Great work ..

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Detroit, MI
GreatJob it still is buggy .. Had to load it from a command line as there was no icon on n800 2008 after i installed it
I had that problem too. A reboot solved the problem

bdogg64,

Downloaded from second site you provided and went into red pill mode and rebooted as others suggested. Does not work in blue pill mode. I get an error message, "Unable to open '%U' "at start. In messages it says, " no suitable access module for '%U'. Fixed this problem by reloading in red pill mode and using x-terminal and typing vlc then hit enter key(explain so newbies like me can follow along) . I can load an mpeg4 video and it stalls occassionally and I get no sound. Check x-terminal messages and it says that this vlc version does not support mpeg4a. Can you add the necessary mpeg4a codec. I use Handbreak to reformat my dvd's for n800 and they look gorgeous on n800 os2008 included player. Any ideas. It looks fanatastic though! lol, Dan

p.s. I'm using n800 with os2008.

Last edited by dan; 2007-12-31 at 11:17. Reason: forgot

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
People, just ask Serge how much work he had to do to get mplayer optimized for this platform. There is NO way a simple recompile of VLC is going to "just work".

The Following User Says Thank You to Karel Jansens For This Useful Post:
Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
People, just ask Serge how much work he had to do to get mplayer optimized for this platform. There is NO way a simple recompile of VLC is going to "just work".
VLC related threads pop up occasionally from time to time. Well, I have already answered a similar question
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...64&postcount=8

Both MPlayer and VLC primarily use the same decoding engine (ffmpeg). So the set of supported media codecs should be pretty much the same.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Serge For This Useful Post:
Serge,

Great job with mplayer, I love it! It's my primary video viewer.

Quick question. I'm noticing that the mplayer tends to stall briefly during playback of an mpeg4 movie I convert using Handbreak. I'm using n800 on os2008 which runs the movie better than os2007. If I turn off internet connection it helps a little but the player is not using much of the processor according to the processor monitor I installed. Have others reported this problem? On Handbreak I set the file to 1000kb at 400x176 or close to those numbers. Any suggestions to remeady these brief stalls or is their an upcoming fix? Thanks lol, Dan

Now all we need is a custom maemo skin . As it cuts some of the bottons off at the bottom. Now that i have been playing woth it . It works great on video streams that did not work with other players . I have a ip/webcam and not one program on my n800 played it till this VLC player and it works great for that live feed.

Thanks for the tip on the reboot my icon for vlc was listed after the reboot.

Also if you load VLC as root from command line it seems to run a bit better.

Thanks

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by dan View Post
Serge,

Great job with mplayer, I love it! It's my primary video viewer.

Quick question. I'm noticing that the mplayer tends to stall briefly during playback of an mpeg4 movie I convert using Handbreak. I'm using n800 on os2008 which runs the movie better than os2007. If I turn off internet connection it helps a little but the player is not using much of the processor according to the processor monitor I installed. Have others reported this problem? On Handbreak I set the file to 1000kb at 400x176 or close to those numbers. Any suggestions to remeady these brief stalls or is their an upcoming fix? Thanks lol, Dan
I think they're unavoidable. I've tried with every imagineable combination of audio and video bitrates (not with Handbrake, but with this, which is optimized for the Itablets) and I always get the occasional, fraction-of-a-second hang.

Mind you, given how it was just a couple of iterations of ITOS/mplayer ago, it's now a feast for the eye. Which just shows how easily Homo sapiens sapiens can be pleased, given enough time.

Posts: 163 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Alabama
Here is a fix for the %U bug. From the command line, go into the /usr/share/applications/ folder and edit the vlc.desktop file and change the line that says

Exec=vlc %U
to
Exec=vlc

I'll be posting a new deb soon, as well as a guide through the build process. The project is also registered on garage.maemo.org now