Posts: 56 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ SP-Brasil
what is the command line to uninstall a package that was installed like this:
aegis-dpkg -i myexplorer_1.0.0.deb

Posts: 645 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Finland
aegis-dpkg -r

Normal remove wont work?

Last edited by Mikkosssss; 2013-10-10 at 16:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mikkosssss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,339 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel
Normal remove also work, just run:
apt-get remove myexplorer

I'm trying to enlarge new set of emoticons through QuickTweak-app. However, after rebooting the device the messaging app doesn't work. After restoring default size messaging app works correctly. I think it could have something to do with installing aegis-install hack and uninstalling inception. What could've gone wrong?

Posts: 5,339 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by jubbe View Post
I'm trying to enlarge new set of emoticons through QuickTweak-app. However, after rebooting the device the messaging app doesn't work. After restoring default size messaging app works correctly. I think it could have something to do with installing aegis-install hack and uninstalling inception. What could've gone wrong?
1. Your question is not related to this thread.
2. N9QT not use inception anymore. It use Coderus Aegis-install and Opensudo.
3. Use latest version of N9QT to enlarge emoticon.
4. If you installed Coderus Aegis-install manually (not from tweak EE-1 or EE-2), just reinstall develsh package:
Code:
apt-get install --reinstall develsh
5. Another questions about N9QT ask in the relevant thread.

Hi @coderus and all other helpul fellows!

First 'n foremost, I apologise for this long post and request that I not be ignored.

I've bought an N9 4 days ago and since then, have kept myself busy day and night tryin' to read up about all the development that has happened over the years in this space. But I'm having trouble understanding all this despite my best effort in referrin' to various sources to learn associated terminologies - I'm new to linux; I'm no dev or programmer but have immense interest to this.

I humbly request u to help me understand all this better and proceed. Allow me to tell u how much I know so far:

1. First thing I learnt was to reflash original firmware in case I go wrong somewhere. Did this 3 times to get comfortable.

2. Next I formatted my N9 for faster USB speed. Fairly simple

3. Then read up all about Inception and realised that's obsolete now and installed your aegis-install hack.

4. I also came across stable Fastern9 and installed it.

For installing (3) & (4), I simply downloaded the respective .deb files, moved them to MyDocs, and tapped on them to install (while I had enabled dev mode and installing from non-store sources). Really simple till here. Thus, I don't understand yet, the need for Debinstaller when I can simply tap on .deb files to install them. Please help me understand the purpose of debinstaller

I have also been readin' about open mode and opensudo. What are these and do I need them too or is having aegis-install hack good enough?

Next up, I plan on installing Powerpack but even after reading most of that thread I'm not able to understand how to install. They talk about usin' inception or open mode but not about usin aegis-install hack. And y shouldn't I simply tap on Powerpack .deb files to install them as I did with Fastern9 (asking to understand the limitation/obstacle)?

Then I also plan on installing N9QT but I notice that can just be installed by tappin' on file. Why can't we use same method for other .deb files like Debinstaller and Powerpack? Why is installation code necessary for these specifically? How are they different from fastern9 or N9QT packages that they can't be tapped on to install?

Pl pardon me for paraphrasing the same question in multiple ways. Also Pardon if you think I'm not postin' in the appropriate thread - I'm lookin for radical understanding that's not respective of any single thread. And believe me I have searched a lot before asking you all this. It's just that I'v gotten overwhelmed by so much info in jus 2-3 days.

I pray thee, read my lengthy post in full and give me an understanding to each query mentioned. This will really help me a long way further.

TIA,
Cheers 'n beers,
JoEy

Last edited by StygiAn TrepidAtioN; 2013-12-08 at 15:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to StygiAn TrepidAtioN For This Useful Post:
Posts: 138 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Devon, England
Originally Posted by StygiAn TrepidAtioN View Post
First 'n foremost, I apologise for this long post and request that I not be ignored.
Given that nobody seems to be answering this one, I'll give it a shot. Bear in mind that I'm by no means an authority on this myself, and anyone who wants to correct bits of this should go right ahead.

Thus, I don't understand yet, the need for Debinstaller when I can simply tap on .deb files to install them. Please help me understand the purpose of debinstaller
Debinstaller gives you more options when installing a package from the UI. It lets you choose whether you want to use dpkg or gdebi, which handles dependencies when installing this way. It lets you see the log when installing using these methods, so if something fails in the installation you can find out what happened (with the default installer dialog, the errors aren't helpful at all).

I'm guessing the bit you're looking at, though, is the 'trusted' switch. This only works with the aegis-install hack or openmode active. It does what aegis-dpkg, etc., would do: overrides the packages' actual origin with the trusted 'com.nokia.maemo' origin, allowing them privileges Aegis would not normally grant.

I have also been readin' about open mode and opensudo. What are these and do I need them too or is having aegis-install hack good enough?
With an openmode kernel, Aegis doesn't work properly. Generally, you can do things without needing the aegis-install hack or similar, you don't need to worry about refhashlist, and it's generally a pretty good solution if you want to mess around with your device.

Opensudo is a different thing entirely; a way to get proper root privileges yourself (equivalent to the old Inception/ariadne methods), being basically sudo patched to give proper credentials on Harmattan.

Next up, I plan on installing Powerpack but even after reading most of that thread I'm not able to understand how to install. They talk about usin' inception or open mode but not about usin aegis-install hack. And y shouldn't I simply tap on Powerpack .deb files to install them as I did with Fastern9 (asking to understand the limitation/obstacle)?
I've never used the Powerpack myself, so I'm not entirely sure on this, but... I can't see any reason why the aegis-install hacks wouldn't work just as well as the Inception method. It seems to me like the reason Inception was used is because it was the method available at the time. This could be true for many applications that recommend Inception.

Then I also plan on installing N9QT but I notice that can just be installed by tappin' on file. Why can't we use same method for other .deb files like Debinstaller and Powerpack? Why is installation code necessary for these specifically? How are they different from fastern9 or N9QT packages that they can't be tapped on to install?
N9QT doesn't actually require enhanced privileges to install. Individual tweaks sometimes require openmode or the aegis-install hack (Inception used to be used, but now AFAIK all tweaks needing it have been rewritten to use the hack).

And believe me I have searched a lot before asking you all this. It's just that I'v gotten overwhelmed by so much info in jus 2-3 days.
I think all the info is out there, but it's certainly pretty scattered around, and there's a lot of out-of-date stuff which turns up in searches and doesn't really help.

Last edited by Eztran; 2013-12-11 at 00:10.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eztran For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 385 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Madrid, Spain
Hi.
I have installed the hack and I cannot connect via ssh.
I get the following:

Code:
developer@n9's password: 
/bin/develsh: Operation not permitted
Connection to N9 closed.
Am I missing something?

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 385 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Madrid, Spain
Well, the answer was a few posts above

Code:
apt-get install --reinstall develsh
Problem solved!

Regards.

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ England
Hello there,

The download repository on dropbox (and any other I have been trying to locate, in that respect) does not seem to work.

Any chance someone (maybe Coderus but really anyone) could upload it and let me have the executable? At the moment I have had to use inception but really I would prefer a cleaner solution :-)

Many thanks!