Posts: 548 | Thanked: 562 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Germany
MWC 2017 is just around the corner, taking place in Barcelona from 27th February to 2nd March, and this year Jolla is again taking part in MWC to spread the word of Sailfish OS.

Both official websites https://jolla.com/ and https://sailfishos.org/ already got a new design: https://twitter.com/JollaHQ/status/834774637061996544

The blog post 'Meet Jolla in Mobile World Congress 2017' mentions the following

This year’s Mobile World Congress is particularly important to us, since we want to showcase our company’s new strategy in a big scale, and convince potential new partners, and the industry of our new path and potential.

We are working tightly together with our licensing partners at the event, and hope to make some positive noise with our new partnership announcements.
Previously Jolla already hinted to release a new community device and Jolla's CEO mentions in the blog post 'Letter from Jolla CEO: a strong Sailfish year ahead of us!' that after the deal with Rushia Jolla is also planning to expand to other BRICS countries like China, Latin America and Africa.

Sami Pienimäki also writes the following

We’re planning for further Sailfish community devices and programs to empower the community and all Jolla & Sailfish fans.

Stay tuned, we hope to announce something exciting for you already in Mobile World Congress in a few weeks.

So what do you expect Jolla to present at MWC 2017?
Are we actually going to see a great new hardware partner releasing a high-quality Sailfish OS powerd device?

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to willi6868 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by willi6868 View Post
Are we actually going to see a great new hardware partner releasing a high-quality Sailfish OS powerd device?
At this point, any device with sailfish OTB would do. Because evrything else didn't do much. Intex was/is a bust, that russian phone is lost in translation and turing was never there to begin with.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Russian mfr Inoi to showcase device?
https://translate.yandex.com/transla...ng=ru-en&ui=en

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
this translation is just....... well, lost.
Unlike iOS and Android, this platform stores the user's personal data in the smartphone and transmit it to foreign servers.
Today the system is officially installed on multiple devices: Jolla Phone, Jolla C, Oysters SF and Ermak weapons of mass destruction
now, I'm not sure if I should support them anymore

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
I've seen the 'weapons of mass destruction' thing before. Seems WMD is Russian initials for 'Open Mobile Platform', which is the group adapting Sailfish?

http://info-android.com/post-12952-e.../#.WK_z-VWLS00

[or that's just what they want us to believe ]

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MikeHG For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
this translation is just....... well, lost.
Unlike iOS and Android, this platform stores the user's personal data in the smartphone and transmit it to foreign servers.
Today the system is officially installed on multiple devices: Jolla Phone, Jolla C, Oysters SF and Ermak weapons of mass destruction
now, I'm not sure if I should support them anymore
There must be a "not" missing in the first sentence, ins't it? I mean, weapons of mass destruction is one thing, but transmitting my personal data to foregein Servers is much worse ....

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JoOppen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MikeHG View Post
I've seen the 'weapons of mass destruction' thing before. Seems WMD is Russian initials for 'Open Mobile Platform', which is the group adapting Sailfish?

http://info-android.com/post-12952-e.../#.WK_z-VWLS00

[or that's just what they want us to believe ]
Yep
OMP stands for Open Mobile Platform (in Russian — Otkrytaya Mobilnaya Platforma) and at the same time for weapon of mass destruction (in Russian — Oruzhie Massovogo Porazheniya).

What is also interesting, INOI (in Russian Inoy or иной) can be translated as '(an)other', 'different', 'not like others'. That's how they emphasise difference from android and ios devices, I believe.

And for sure that controversial passage has the opposite meaning in the original. So, correct translation is: Unlike iOS and Android, the platform stores the user's personal data in the smartphone and do not send it to the foreign servers.

Last edited by zxcvbnm3230; 2017-02-24 at 11:42.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to zxcvbnm3230 For This Useful Post:
Thanks.

'Unlike' ... where have I heard that before.

Dare I ask what the Russian for 'soon' is?

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MikeHG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
There clearly is a Jolla gap. We need a Jolla West!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by MikeHG View Post
Thanks.

'Unlike' ... where have I heard that before.

Dare I ask what the Russian for 'soon' is?
I am wondering what foreign means
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, mwc 2017, sailfish os, sony xperia