Posts: 428 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Philippines
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Ah Bohol - that's the chocolate hills place, right? i asked a tour guide if I could taste the hill to confirm it was chocolate and she said that it would not be possible, and that I shouldnt come to Bohol as there was no chocolate there at all. So sad. Maybe someday i will visit. I been a few times to Philippines, mainly Makati and Boracay. I prefer the beach more than the city, and I would like to try Palawan next time. Where abouts in Phils are you from?

Thanks for the Phils mobile background, it seems strange that a developer's phone like the N900 wouldnt have any developers from Phils. Maybe we should try encourage that more, with a Filipino themed app. Although I don't know what it could be.. maybe a slideshow of Manny Ps knock outs with Jovit singing in the background... "faaaaiithfulllllyyyy"..
Hey there.

Where to travel in the Philippines? Well...the Philippines is an archipelago so if you are the "outdoors-type" of person you will enjoy it here. Beaches are abundant; fishing and agriculture are the main highlights of the country. Climate is generally tropical (we're near the equator, about South of it). We have two seasons; at this time of the year we're in the rainy season. We get visited by an average of 23 typhoons in a year, lol...

I'm from the nation's capital (Metro Manila) and I work in Makati. There are a lot to see in the main city though traffic is horrible here. If you're the urban-type and can withstand traffic, you may be interested in the metro.

There are a lot of I.T. guys here in the Philippines but most go abroad/out of the country. As for developers specific to the N900...well, Linux patronage in the Philippines is very low and is common only in the work environment (server admins, etc. who don't use Nokia). Perhaps that's the reason why.

Hope you will enjoy your visit. We could probably accompany you (we have friends who are also N900 users) in case you want to visit Metro Manila. I can do so on weekends only though.

The Following User Says Thank You to topet2k12001 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
sir topet, dapat ata may sahod tayo galing sa dept of tourism. hehe todo endorse eh.
translation (not word for word): i think we should be getting some compensation from the dept of tourism for our active endorsement.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vetsin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vetsin View Post
sir topet, dapat ata may sahod tayo galing sa dept of tourism. hehe todo endorse eh.
translation (not word for word): i think we should be getting some compensation from the dept of tourism for our active endorsement.
How I wish, lol...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topet2k12001 For This Useful Post:
Thanks for all the info and ideas!

Originally Posted by topet2k12001 View Post
Hope you will enjoy your visit. We could probably accompany you (we have friends who are also N900 users) in case you want to visit Metro Manila. I can do so on weekends only though.
is there an 'official' Philippines Maemo/MeeGo/N900 Group? Perhaps we should set up an international meetup lol

Originally Posted by vetsin View Post
i think we should be getting some compensation from the dept of tourism for our active endorsement.
Definitely!

ok to bring it mildy back on topic i'll share a N900 in the Philippines story. On a previous trip I took a yellow metered taxi from NAIA to my hotel in Makati and was wearing those baggy type of tracksuit trousers - unkown to me my N900 fell out of my pocket into the backseat of the taxi! i had no idea it was gone, checked into the hotel, and 20 mins later i got a call - the taxi driver had returned it! He refused a tip, but ofcourse I made sure he got one for his honestly and his time/petrol cost. I heard many bad things about taxi drivers in Manila, but that was a good experience.

Although.. the last taxi I took got lost on the way back from Mall of Asia, turned his car across some lanes he shouldnt have, and got picked up by the cops. So you can't win all the time

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2011-07-01 at 11:39.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
It's not official but we do have a facebook group. hehe
We also have a pretty active thread here.
It's hosted by none other than Sir Topet, our local maemo idol.
Another TMO user, Garcel, has been very helpful in keeping the thread alive. They give answers, we ask questions. We are still growing despite the N900's demise.

And I gotta say, you're pretty lucky to have your phone back!

The Following User Says Thank You to vetsin For This Useful Post:
Thanks for all the info and ideas!

is there an 'official' Philippines Maemo/MeeGo/N900 Group? Perhaps we should set up an international meetup lol

Definitely!

ok to bring it mildy back on topic i'll share a N900 in the Philippines story. On a previous trip I took a yellow metered taxi from NAIA to my hotel in Makati and was wearing those baggy type of tracksuit trousers - unkown to me my N900 fell out of my pocket into the backseat of the taxi! i had no idea it was gone, checked into the hotel, and 20 mins later i got a call - the taxi driver had returned it! He refused a tip, but ofcourse I made sure he got one for his honestly and his time/petrol cost. I heard many bad things about taxi drivers in Manila, but that was a good experience.

Although.. the last taxi I took got lost on the way back from Mall of Asia, turned his car across some lanes he shouldnt have, and got picked up by the cops. So you can't win all the time
You are indeed pretty lucky. Perhaps because you're not a Filipino (no offense). If it were a local he/she would never have it back. In fairness, there had been good publicity on honest drivers in the news a couple of weeks ago (i.e. passenger left PHP70,000 cash and was returned).

As for cops, it's going to be a different story. If it were you driving and got caught, they will feast upon you for bribe money instead of having to surrender your license.

EDIT: the thread that Vetsin referred to is basically a "Filipinized" version of the TMO thread. Just a quick disclaimer, we practically read stuff from here and we share it on that thread as there are others who may not be comfortable writing/reading in English...so to set expectations as well, the langauge being used on that thread is a mix of Tagalog/English (we're practically bi-lingual speakers of the said languages).

EDIT AGAIN: Saw one of your links in your signatures, seems like you're on to learning how to program. There are currently no programmers/developers interested in the N900. I'm no programmer too but I'm interested to learn.

Last edited by topet2k12001; 2011-07-01 at 16:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to topet2k12001 For This Useful Post:
wow proud owner here

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Rota Land
happy weekend TMO!

Originally Posted by topet2k12001 View Post
EDIT AGAIN: Saw one of your links in your signatures, seems like you're on to learning how to program. There are currently no programmers/developers interested in the N900. I'm no programmer too but I'm interested to learn.
Thanks for checking out the link. i've been programming mobile projects for quite a few years now since I started with J2ME and Symbian on the 6600, I have a few Maemo projects and I'm one of the lucky developers receiving a N950 through the MeeGo developer program.

The tutorials I link to in my sig are pretty basic and were created for beginners, and all you really need is the Qt SDK which is a free download... so if you're interested in learning then what's stopping you from learning?

I think i'm gonna make it my mission to find or create (build Frankenstein style, if need be) a filipino Maemo/MeeGo application developer by the end of 2011! Call Ai-Ai and Kris, let them know Pilipinas Got Mobile App Talent is coming soon! If im going to be able to have my dream job in the future (creating applications on Boracay beach) I need the Philippines mobile app industry to get started asap!

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2011-07-08 at 14:42.

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
The tutorials I link to in my sig are pretty basic and were created for beginners, and all you really need is the Qt SDK which is a free download... so if you're interested in learning then what's stopping you from learning?
Work?
I already have the Qt SDK in my laptop but there still are loads of things to learn. hehe

I think i'm gonna make it my mission to find or create (build Frankenstein style, if need be) a filipino Maemo/MeeGo application developer by the end of 2011! Call Ai-Ai and Kris, let them know Pilipinas Got Mobile App Talent is coming soon! If im going to be able to have my dream job in the future (creating applications on Boracay beach) I need the Philippines mobile app industry to get started asap!
Seems like you're really interested in tapping our local talents! And I think you're quite fond of our country or you just love watching PGT? hehe

EDIT: Plus I need to learn more about Linux first. hehe

Last edited by vetsin; 2011-07-08 at 17:04.

The Following User Says Thank You to vetsin For This Useful Post:

Tags
filipino, jovit, nokia n900, pacman, pinoy ako, pinoys, selling n900