Closed Thread
Try asking estel for OFFICIAL information, what I said is just what I think it might be like..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akkumaru For This Useful Post:
Any hypothetical device that aims to be contact-point compatible with N900's board layout - as in "you can put it into N900's outer body, with or without special 3rd party spacer frames, cause contact points for antennas, battery, etc. are in the same place" - which include Neo900 specifications the last time I had any interest in that project, will be fully compatible with body replacement.

It's yet to be seen if all extended functionality of body replacement is going to work fine with 3rd party things, as it is dependent on what the 3rd party actually put on their motherboard (for example, body replacement is going to have external connector for all antennas, using the hirose U.FL connectors found on N900's mobo - obviously, if some other mobo lack hirose [or any, at all] connectors for antennas, no joy with that functionality), but the "basic" things must be compatible.

Any changes in body replacement general mechanics in comparison to original body might only tackle things like joints (for example, clips aren't super aluminum-friendly) and such things, but certainly won't tackle changing basic geometry of device (like, putting screen under keyboard, for example ). I'm especially aware of the need to consider thicker motherboards as a way of being future-proof, so there shouldn't be any major issues with spacers or other things making our beloved device even more bulkier.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
What would be the effect of metel on compass and nfc wifi 5ghz etc ?
just asking as say your body replacement goes like "wow i want that thing " then a bit of hypothetical neo900 mods wont hurt if applicable as i believe a lot of your customers do care about that

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
What would be the effect of metel on compass and nfc wifi 5ghz etc ?
just asking as say your body replacement goes like "wow i want that thing " then a bit of hypothetical neo900 mods wont hurt if applicable as i believe a lot of your customers do care about that
Quick reply...

NFC would be one more antenna to put outside the metal-body (via external connector), along with WiFi-Bluetooth and Cellular and FM.

Magnetic sensor... Not sure how it can be handled. Estel?

Best wishes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post

Magnetic sensor... Not sure how it can be handled. Estel?

Best wishes.
Substances that are negligibly affected by magnetic fields are known as non-magnetic substances. They include copper, aluminium, gases, and plastic. Pure oxygen exhibits magnetic properties when cooled to a liquid state.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetism

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to saponga For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
NFC would be one more antenna to put outside the metal-body (via external connector), along with WiFi-Bluetooth and Cellular and FM.
As I had understood it, Estel was planning on adding radial antennas internally to the full body replacement, for the existing stock antennas. It may be possible to do that same thing with any additional antennas? I have only the most primitive understanding of antennas (e.g. I know the formulas for basic electromagnetism and stuff, nothing really practical for modern antennas), but from what I thought I understood from Estel's explanations in this thread and others, that would make signal travel fairly well despite the aluminum body replacements?

P.S. What ever happened to "Backcover Press Service" or whatever that user was, who, along with Estel, were originally planning on releasing regular bimonthly updates (or something like that)?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
As I had understood it, Estel was planning on adding radial antennas internally to the full body replacement, for the existing stock antennas. It may be possible to do that same thing with any additional antennas? I have only the most primitive understanding of antennas (e.g. I know the formulas for basic electromagnetism and stuff, nothing really practical for modern antennas), but from what I thought I understood from Estel's explanations in this thread and others, that would make signal travel fairly well despite the aluminum body replacements?
Thank you for reminding me. I searched the thread and found:

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
But, in our application of whole body replacement, it doesn't matter - for the radios, we have a thousands orders of magnitude bigger "problem" with the *conductor* used for body (that is, Alu). Incidentally, conductor act as shield, in this case - even on it's own, but even better when it's grounded (at the very end to battery - not real ground, but still). It is the case for N900's metal parts (border around screen, back of screen...), and will+must be the case for body replacement.

Due to this, in full body replacement, antennas will get "re-delegated" to the outer side. Think N950's antennas, just without N950's poor radio performance (as they have failed with the quasi-coil antennas).

Of course, there is still the port for connecting external antenna for N900 that is a crucial (read: must have) part of body replacement which will allow to get absolutely superior radios performance in special situations - but I'm absolutely sure that performance of internal antennas is no less important, for everyday use. Won't neglect that part, that is for sure.

Side note - I was *very* tempted to create complete new internal fractal antenna, that could get integrated into back part of body replacement. But, designing one that will work well is hell of a task, with much, MUCH testing and trial&error (even if using antenna designing software, like 4nec), so it would delay body replacement part considerably (it could take as long as doing everything else...). So, it's idea that I'll try someday for my own, slowly, and report if I succeed

/Estel
So, internal antennas have got to work somehow, despite aluminium body (not just back-cover), and metal roof (the one which slides together with screen). Not sure how that can be achieved... Updates-details-clarification, please?

Thank you,
Best wishes.

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Knowhere
Quite off topic but I'm wondering why this thread has "gangnam_style" tag?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pistachio For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by pistachio View Post
Quite off topic but I'm wondering why this thread has "gangnam_style" tag?
My understanding is that someone troll-tagged it that way several years back. I used to tag every thread with such counter-productive tags "bullsht tags" (except s/ht/hit/... did I ever mention that swear word filters on forums are offensive to my religion of not being irrational?), but apparently when someone comes around to remove THOSE tags from threads they don't feel compelled to actually check and remove other utterly unhelpful tags, so I gave up on that practice a while ago.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2014-12-16 at 07:22. Reason: Character streams representing phoneme streams given meaning arbitrarily get censored, so I have to make workarounds to properly convey information.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
As i understand this is opensource project with transparency, so i wonder how many people have donated and how much?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
antenna, backcover, external, gangam_style, mugen cover, n900 body, neo900, sarcasm, where is estel