Posts: 248 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Birmingham
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Dynamic allocation
...means a bigger HV, probably a balloon driver for the guests too. BTW, I just ran Maverick this morning on an old Celeron machine with 128 MB RAM. It was painful, even if I had a MX440 to help out.

I really don't know what you'd like to run in a HV that you can't run in a chroot. Probably quick-switching between {Android,Desktop-Ubuntu/Debian/Gentoo/LFS/Redhat/Fedora/Arch,MeeGo,Maemo}. BRB, buying a 64 GB uSDXC. I think we're going to need the r/w speeds and raw flash size.
lol yeah I know the tricker bits like load balancing and stuff would bulk out the HV a bit, but it might solve some of the issues for a small cost in performance.

Well that doesn't look very good then, I don't know much about Maverick, but I'll have a read about it, is that slim or bloated? The ESXi box I built and tested worked extremely well, but it was a lot higher spec than mobile devices, but then again I was running a lot of VM to test it properly...

The main problem I found was the hardware support, the free version of ESXi from VMware covers a lot of hardware, but I had to buy a gigabit intel NIC because the on board wasn't supported, so I can see (if this ever does work) the hardware support/drivers would be an issue anyway, especially if they are closed, as I guess that would make things even more difficult....

As for why, your right, easy deb takes care of most of my needs, but VMs have a load of plus points too, I think it is a case of what you use personally, but I do agree the easy deb route is brilliant without a doubt, and we do have uboot/multi-boot as well...... just thinking about the future....and furthering this sort of application of VMs would be a good thing

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Ubuntu Maverick. I'll get around to running Unity 2D with GLES acceleration sometime.

If we do get a HV on the N900, whee, switching back and forth between Maemo, Android and MeeGo!

Originally Posted by davedickson View Post
Well like my initial post was hinting at, u-boot and other "booting" methods give us two/three options tops, with a hypervisor you can have as many images of os's as you like and just pick and choose, so we could have a lot more than just maemo/meego, plus we can just shut one down and start another one up, and then flick back to the original one without having to re-boot etc.

There are lot of advantages to have this rather than u-boot, whether or not the advantages out weigh the amount of work needed to create it is another matter....
Just out of curiosity, is this the type of thing that you were thinking of? Super Jumbo

The thread has not been updated for a few weeks now, (would like to hear how the progress is going myself) but it is a very nice teaser of what could be possible.

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st View Post
I think the /solution/ is to simply have /one/ good OS that can have anything you want loaded on it. Maemo's a good example: We don't /need/ to dual-boot Linux usually, because we either have it natively or can run a Debian(etc) chroot.

Now, perhaps Maemo's not going to be the end-all-be-all OS, but we should be thinking in terms of that instead of VMing everything(which /will/ reduce performance).
Completely agree, one great OS is definatly the way forward...but none of them are quite there yet... and im guessing there will always be apps that are only available on one....unfortunately....

although VM probably isn't the best way while the hardware hasn't caught up, it eventually will and I do believe VM style systems have a lot of very useful applications, some are listed below (on gazza_d's post).

Don't get me wrong I really do like Maemo, and your right chroot solves some of the missing features, however I do think it is worth looking into...

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Ubuntu Maverick. I'll get around to running Unity 2D with GLES acceleration sometime.

If we do get a HV on the N900, whee, switching back and forth between Maemo, Android and MeeGo!
Ok, ill have to read up on it.

LOL yeah it would be nice to just flick between the three

Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Just out of curiosity, is this the type of thing that you were thinking of? Super Jumbo

The thread has not been updated for a few weeks now, (would like to hear how the progress is going myself) but it is a very nice teaser of what could be possible.
Hey, now that is interesting! Looks very cool

Not exactly what I was thinking of, but a step in the right direction for sure!

Very tempted to go out and buy a beagleboard now!

Tags
good idea, just shoot me, kill me now, suicidal, vmware