Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
What the hell is going on here, for the 9001th time on the forum?

MeeGo DE is going to be complete rather soon, but it'll always still be a DE. Expect that for a few months after release, it'll feel like Maemo PR1.0 all over again. Hopefully it'll get polished up over time, though. Note the emphasis.
If you need/want a good, stable OS for the N900, it's already here, and it's called Maemo 5 PR1.3. Learn how to use swappolube and Transition Control, and turn on HWSync. If you really need it, 750MHz+XLV is a safe overclock.

Why so negative, TMO?
And BTW, can people PLEASE stop *****ing to the Nitdroid team that NITDroid can't make calls, FC's apps, runs the phone VERY hot, etc. It's very different from Maemo, not to mention they had to make some drivers for it to work acceptably. Same for the people *****ing about MeeGo, 2.6.37 is a real feat on the N900, not to mention how nice it runs on the device (HINT: If all the functions worked - phone, messaging, camera, accel, sensor, slider, MeeGo HUX apps - the quality would be on par with PR1.0. Hopefully that'll be done in a month.)

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
What the hell is going on here, for the 9001th time on the forum?

MeeGo DE is going to be complete rather soon, but it'll always still be a DE. Expect that for a few months after release, it'll feel like Maemo PR1.0 all over again. Hopefully it'll get polished up over time, though. Note the emphasis.
If you need/want a good, stable OS for the N900, it's already here, and it's called Maemo 5 PR1.3. Learn how to use swappolube and Transition Control, and turn on HWSync. If you really need it, 750MHz+XLV is a safe overclock.

Why so negative, TMO?
And BTW, can people PLEASE stop *****ing to the Nitdroid team that NITDroid can't make calls, FC's apps, runs the phone VERY hot, etc. It's very different from Maemo, not to mention they had to make some drivers for it to work acceptably. Same for the people *****ing about MeeGo, 2.6.37 is a real feat on the N900, not to mention how nice it runs on the device (HINT: If all the functions worked - phone, messaging, camera, accel, sensor, slider, MeeGo HUX apps - the quality would be on par with PR1.0. Hopefully that'll be done in a month.)
I think that cow does not do it for you haha i would pick a different animal if i was you cos your in a bad bad mood

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Nah, abill_uk, I'm fine, it's just that I'm bothered by the amount of people that want MeeGo ASAP just because it's shiny and new.

Personally, I still like Maemo, and contrary to what a lot of people believe, it's still a decent phone OS in 2011 for the enthusiast, unlike iOS and Android.

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Hopefully not--but it's left me very cynical despite the "here and now" of MeeGo. There's still closed drivers and firmware to deal with and I can't help getting the sneaking suspicion that Nokia will find a way to ruin it.
Well, they wont, and they can't.

The Following User Says Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 179 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Gold Coast, Australia
The n900 is getting old why are people still trying? ffs its like you all saying you want windows 95 to still be updated.. yes the n900 is a bloody fantastic mobile computer but lets face it things change for the better just deal with it.

Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
Well, they wont, and they can't.
Explain to everyone how they won't and can't?.

Originally Posted by lucas777 View Post
The n900 is getting old why are people still trying? ffs its like you all saying you want windows 95 to still be updated.. yes the n900 is a bloody fantastic mobile computer but lets face it things change for the better just deal with it.
That's not what we're after at all. We want a more future proof platform with which we can bootstrap development for future devices that haven't appeared yet. I don't understand your hostility or negativity, if you've not got anything worthwhile saying, why not just keep quiet?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Explain to everyone how they won't and can't?.
MeeGo development is open, if Nokia stop contributing it doesn't mean the work they and we have put in disappears, and it doesn't mean that the development will cease.

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Nah, abill_uk, I'm fine, it's just that I'm bothered by the amount of people that want MeeGo ASAP just because it's shiny and new.

Personally, I still like Maemo, and contrary to what a lot of people believe, it's still a decent phone OS in 2011 for the enthusiast, unlike iOS and Android.
Yes i agree to an extent as Maemo is very much a functional OS but this MeeGo is a very debatable subject as it is not a Nokia production OS and certainly some questions to be asked there, we wait and see with anticipation.

Obviously a lot of doubts shadow MeeGo due to past history with Nokia over the N900 so as i said....... we have no choice to wait and see.

Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
MeeGo development is open, if Nokia stop contributing it doesn't mean the work they and we have put in disappears, and it doesn't mean that the development will cease.
This does not sound right to me because if as you say Nokia IS contributing? then surely it would release everything that is closed to the MeeGo team to make sure the development for the N900 will be complete without any hinderances from closed anything that Nokia are obviously holding on to.

If there are legal reasons Nokia do not let everything be open then surely it should be pointed out the area's that are difficult that end up in a nofix situation consquently for the MeeGo release.

My point right from the beggining was not a doubt on the MeeGo development team and everyone involved in its progress but the so called input from Nokia for MeeGo.

Tags
douching, kill me now, n900 douche, what a douche