Hi there,
I'm new to N800, i have installed stardict on my n800, but i cannot copy dictionaries into /usr/share/stardict/dic because i cannot see that folder any where...
i've tries coping dictionaries into /media/mmc1/stardict/dic and /media/mmc1/stardict/dic but stardict could find them and still complain about no dictionaries...
Could any one help? Thanks
Shawn

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Wichita, KS
quick suggestions:
1) try EmelFM2. click on the green H on the toolbar to view hidden files and folders.
2) try putting your dictionaries in ~/.stardict/dic instead (a hidden folder).
3) are you sure your dictionary files are compatible?

The Following User Says Thank You to jmjanzen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 183 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Seattle, WA
Did you untar the dictionaries?

The Following User Says Thank You to baksiidaa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 30 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Bulgaria
Hi,
you do not need to put them there.
StarDict will search the dictionary files at "/media/mmc1/stardict/dic", "/media/mmc2/stardict/dic", "/media/mmc1/stardict/treedic", "/media/mmc2/stardict/treedic" which are folders on SD cards. So you just create one of these folders and copy dictionaries inside. And for sure you need to unpack archives that contain dictionaries.

The Following User Says Thank You to dzahariev For This Useful Post:
i've untared the stardict-longman-2.4.2 which contains 3 files and put the default folder under /media/mmc1/stardict/dic on both SD cards...
I'm going to try downloading another dictionary and see if the dramma still remains.
Thanks for all detailed replies, i really appreciate them.

Still doesn't work, it says no dictionary is loaded and reminds me to put dictionaries to /usr/local/share/stardict/dic. stardic version (3.0.0). I cannot even install EmelFM2 because the previous owner set the password and is not contactable...
Also i cannot install the stardict.install file on my n800, it says Unable to install stardict, incompatible application package....
Any one has any ideas?

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Never buy Hardware without getting all passwords. You can't copy anything to /usr/share without being root. That's the concept of Linux. It's the same if you don't have the Admin password for Windows.

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Bulgaria
I am not familiar with this password limitation that you talk about?
Is this a just a root password that keep you away from using sudo?
Or this is a some kind of password that prevent you from installing applications to your device using application manager (I do not know for such functionality in tablet software - but I may be wrong for this)?

Anyway this can be solved with reflash of device (if there does not have any custom applications that are not available on the net). Reflash can be done by following the instructions:
1. Create a backup (this will backup all your settings and also may backup and settings that you try to remove - because of this I usually unpack backups on my desktop machine and get from them data that i need after clean installation)
2. Download the flasher from: http://europe.nokia.com/A4305010
3. Connect device to the computer as is described inside flasher wizard.
4. Flash the device and restart
5. Restore only data that you think is needed by you.

If you use linux for reflash follow these instructions: http://www.internettablettalk.com/wi...nstall_2008_OS

latest version of stardict for maemo is v2.4.8-maemo.r6. You are supposed to get stardict from here https://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/stardict/ and not anywhere else.

If that install link doesn't work you have old OS version or your repository (application catalog) list is screwed up.

I've been using stardic for over a year on my n800. You need to put the files from each dictionary untarred in the .dic folder. In stardic look at the menu list and select 'manage dictionaries '. If you don't see your dictionaries there then they are either not in the .dic file or you have not untarred them properly or they are unsupported dictionaries. It's a great app that I use often in fbreader, web, etc...