Can someone tell me how to set up my mac and/or VNC viewer on the nokia 770 so that I can finally get a VNC going here? Networking is my one weakness....
But I thought I set up everything properly, and I'm pretty sure I was giving VNC viewer the right IP... but could someone help walk me through it?.. Thanks

F.Y.I.: I'm using a Nokia 770 with IT OS 2006 (latest version) and my Mac is an intel MacBook pro. I'm on a linksys wireless router, but my mac is connected directly to it (via ethernet cable).

Originally Posted by dmainzman View Post
Can someone tell me how to set up my mac and/or VNC viewer on the nokia 770 so that I can finally get a VNC going here? Networking is my one weakness....
But I thought I set up everything properly, and I'm pretty sure I was giving VNC viewer the right IP... but could someone help walk me through it?.. Thanks

F.Y.I.: I'm using a Nokia 770 with IT OS 2006 (latest version) and my Mac is an intel MacBook pro. I'm on a linksys wireless router, but my mac is connected directly to it (via ethernet cable).
I'm going to make a couple assumptions. I'm going to guess you're using 10.4.X. I'm also going to guess that it won't matter which tablet you're using, cause I don't have a 770. So what you need to do is open up System Preferences/Sharing. Checkbox Apple Remote Desktop. Click Access Privileges, checkbox your user. Under the Allow user stuff checkbox everything. Checkbox the VNC viewers may control with password, give it a password.

Now in the vnc application just give it your macbook's ip address, it will then ask you for the password.
Attached Images

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Last edited by barry99705; 2007-07-09 at 01:24.

If you have a screensaver with a password you will not be able to dismiss the screensaver. At least that has been my experience.

barry, I already did all of that... but when I try to connect with the tablet it either says "cannot connect to server" or it says "connection failed:" and doesn't give a reason.

I'm on the same network, so it just needs to local IP, right? Do I need to forward any ports?... I already forwarded 5900 to both which is the default port that Apple Remote Desktop uses...

Thanks for your help

In my experience the built in VNC app on the Intel Macs will not work with the VNC viewer, you will need to download another VNC app and run that.

Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
In my experience the built in VNC app on the Intel Macs will not work with the VNC viewer, you will need to download another VNC app and run that.
Oh really?...
Well, I downloaded VineServer from redstone, or whoever it was, and I tried that as well, and it still would not work... however I'm not sure if I set it up correctly either... although I believe I did.
One thing, however, when I cicked the button to send a connect request to the viewer client, I gave it the local IP of my tablet and nothing happened.

Oh really?...
Well, I downloaded VineServer from redstone, or whoever it was, and I tried that as well, and it still would not work... however I'm not sure if I set it up correctly either... although I believe I did.
One thing, however, when I cicked the button to send a connect request to the viewer client, I gave it the local IP of my tablet and nothing happened.

I had this same problem when setting up VNC with my iMac G4 and my N800. The only VNC server that I found to work on the Mac was the VineServer that you mentioned, I found it works great.

If you have Apple's default firewall on, do you have the VNC ports allowed in System Preferences > Sharing? If you dont have the correct ports open, then you will get a connection failed message. Also I believe you will want to turn off Apples Remote Desktop in Services under Sharing as well since if I remember correctly, that enables Apples VNC server, which would conflict with the VineServer.

I'm not sure what you were referring to when you said you 'sent a connect request to the viewer client'. I didnt notice that option on VineServer that I'm using, though maybe mine is outdated, as its v2.1

Er...
Well i'm not using apple's firewall at all, so that's not it... and I tried disabling apple remote desktop.. That did something. I started getting a lot of new weird error messages on the nokia, but they all disappear before i can read them and resolve to the same ol' "could not connect to server"

Er...
Well i'm not using apple's firewall at all, so that's not it... and I tried disabling apple remote desktop.. That did something. I started getting a lot of new weird error messages on the nokia, but they all disappear before i can read them and resolve to the same ol' "could not connect to server"
Hmm this is a bit odd, as Vine Server worked nearly perfectly for me out of the box. Just so I'm clear here, you are trying to connect via your local network's internal IP (ie. 192.168.x.xxx or whatever) and not via your external IP that your ISP assigns (which you could do too, but you would need to set up port forwarding and such).

Oh and I dont know how I missed it, but I see that Reverse connection thing, to send a connection invitation, and yeah, that seems to do nothing in regards to my nokia.

Yeah, reverse connection... that's what i was talking about

But yeah, i am using the local IP like you said... I even tried the external IP after I forwarded the ports too, as a desperate measure...
And by the way, I restarted VNC viewer and it's stopped giving me the wierd errors... just cannot connect to server.