I've tried several, and while some seem to work well they all start to choke the N900 around high action scenes. Is there a codec you all are using that allows for decent frame rates regardless of on screen activity?

2d

nobody has a preferred codec that seems to work well?

2d

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
just render something at as near 480 x 800 as you can.

If the video is larger and the screen can't display it, why waste CPU/GPU on it?!

Last edited by James_Littler; 2010-11-17 at 22:58.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Karachi
depends on the bitrate and/or profile you're using. the MPEG-4 codec works for me, next best thing to H.264 (which is supported but only the baseline profile, plus its more cpu/gpu intensive)

i use Handbrake and convert all my HD stuff into 800x448 using the MP4 codec at 90% quality with stereo audio mixdown. works brilliant on the N900, never stutters (even though i havent overclocked). max file size should be less than 4GB tho.

hope this helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to uhbhatti88 For This Useful Post:
You want to try out sharing your videos via your windows media player and then windows automatically converts/streams them on the fly over the network to the n900 at top quality without messing around with conversions, an icon appear in the n900 media player lower status bar area

PS3 can also play such videos without need for conversion

What I would be interested, is the codec and settings which is most efficient (quality/size) but is still optimized to use other processors than just CPU (so would use GPU and DSP).

I would not use H.264 settings which would make it non DSP-optimized. Same thing for audio. I'd love to use OGG Vorbis, but currently still I think , vorbis decoder is not optimized for DSP like MP3 and AAC.

Last edited by zimon; 2010-11-17 at 23:10.

I believe h.264 and aac are hardware accelerated. I don't have my device in front of me, but you can look at the libraries, the filenames will show it

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
well, this sounded good:
http://hacks.mozilla.org/2010/04/theora-on-n900/
i have no idea how it compares or if it's even available

Originally Posted by uhbhatti88 View Post
depends on the bitrate and/or profile you're using. the MPEG-4 codec works for me, next best thing to H.264 (which is supported but only the baseline profile, plus its more cpu/gpu intensive)

i use Handbrake and convert all my HD stuff into 800x448 using the MP4 codec at 90% quality with stereo audio mixdown. works brilliant on the N900, never stutters (even though i havent overclocked). max file size should be less than 4GB tho.

hope this helps.
Thanks this was what I was looking for. I use AVS video converter. It allows you to set all of the paramters, and so I needed a response like this to get me close to what the N900 could handle.

2d

Originally Posted by James_Littler View Post
just render something at as near 480 x 800 as you can.

If the video is larger and the screen can't display it, why waste CPU/GPU on it?!

The resolution is set to even slightly below the N900's native resolution. It's not a res problem, but a codec problem. Thanks anyway.

2d