Notices

Posts: 246 | Thanked: 204 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Potsdam (Germany)
First of all a big thanks for all the effort! It's great to see this application growing and (hopefully) hitting extras soon. It's one of the best "in the background running" apps for maemo I know.

Originally Posted by steven676 View Post
Before then, I'd like some feedback from Fremantle users, particularly those who use some browser other than MicroB as their default browser: would you rather have MicroB start faster when you do use it and behave more like it does when Browser Switchboard is not installed, or would you rather save memory by not having MicroB's browser process running when you're not using MicroB? Is the current feature which has all links opening in MicroB while MicroB is open useful to you? (We can make MicroB always behave as it does in this release when MicroB is the default browser, but that comes at the cost of keeping MicroB in memory all the time and losing the aforementioned feature.)
  • When microb is default wish to have running the browser non-visible in the background it all the time
  • If an other browser than microb is my default browser microb should not run as background process. In this case it's okay for me to wait a little bit longer after starting microb explicitly

Also, if someone with an N900 has some time on their hands, I'd like to see the results of the following to verify that the packaging works correctly:
[...]
If helpfully I'll do this later this day with 3.3-1fremantle1.

Thank you very much!
Best regards, jukey

Me on twitter

The Following User Says Thank You to jukey For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jukey View Post
  • When microb is default wish to have running the browser non-visible in the background it all the time
  • If an other browser than microb is my default browser microb should not run as background process. In this case it's okay for me to wait a little bit longer after starting microb explicitly
I agree, this is the most logical way.

The Following User Says Thank You to barzam For This Useful Post:
Also, if someone with an N900 has some time on their hands, I'd like to see the results of the following to verify that the packaging works correctly:
  1. Uninstall Browser Switchboard, if it's currently installed on your device.
Code:
# apt-get purge browser-switchboard
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  browser-switchboard*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 19 not upgraded.
After this operation, 172kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? 
(Reading database ... 29536 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing browser-switchboard ...
Removing `diversion of /usr/bin/browser to /usr/bin/browser.tablet-browser-ui by browser-switchboard'
Removing `diversion of /usr/share/dbus-1/services/com.nokia.osso_browser.service to /usr/share/dbus-1/services/com.nokia.osso_browser.tablet-browser-ui by browser-switchboard'
Purging configuration files for browser-switchboard ...
  1. Reboot your device.
  2. Install this release of Browser Switchboard (browser-switchboard 3.3~b2-1fremantle1).
  3. From a shell, run the following:
    Code:
    $ ps -ef | grep browser
    (where $ is your prompt, not something you type) and provide the output.
Installation:
Code:
Nokia-N900:~# apt-get install browser-switchboard
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  browser-switchboard
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 28,2kB of archives.
After this operation, 172kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://repository.maemo.org fremantle/free browser-switchboard 3.3-1fremantle1 [28,2kB]
Fetched 28,2kB in 0s (75,4kB/s)              
Selecting previously deselected package browser-switchboard.
(Reading database ... 29524 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking browser-switchboard (from .../browser-switchboard_3.3-1fremantle1_armel.deb) ...
Adding `diversion of /usr/share/dbus-1/services/com.nokia.osso_browser.service to /usr/share/dbus-1/services/com.nokia.osso_browser.tablet-browser-ui by browser-switchboard'
Adding `diversion of /usr/bin/browser to /usr/bin/browser.tablet-browser-ui by browser-switchboard'
Setting up browser-switchboard (3.3-1fremantle1) ...
then:
Code:
~ $ ps -ef | grep browser
 1220 user     42112 S    /usr/sbin/browserd -d 
 1615 user     55128 S    /usr/sbin/browserd -s 1615 -n RTComMessagingServer 
 1863 user      3932 S    /usr/bin/browser 
 1864 user     29792 S    /usr/bin/browser                                     
 1871 user     62780 S    /usr/sbin/browserd -s 1871 -n browserui 
 2160 user      3336 S    /usr/bin/browser-switchboard 
 2176 user      2092 S    grep browser
  1. Set the default browser to something other than MicroB and check to make sure links open as expected.
Switched to Opera as default browser using browser switchboard settings dialogue

I was surprised because Opera was already my default browser. In step 1. I used apt-get purge to unistal browser-switchboard and expected that all config fles are deleted too. There seems to go something (little) wrong.

1. Reboot your device.
  2. From a shell, run:
    Code:
    $ ps -ef | grep browser
    and provide the output.
Code:
 1267 user     39860 S    /usr/sbin/browserd -d 
 1308 user      3336 S    /usr/bin/browser-switchboard 
 1612 user      2092 S    grep browser
  1. Set the default browser to MicroB.
  2. Reboot your device.
  3. From a shell, run:
    Code:
    $ ps -ef | grep browser
    and provide the output.
Code:
 1235 user     42112 S    /usr/sbin/browserd -d 
 1299 user      3336 S    /usr/bin/browser-switchboard 
 1309 user      3932 S    /usr/bin/maemo-invoker /usr/bin/browser launch 
 1310 user     29776 S    /usr/bin/browser                                     
 1550 user     48532 R    /usr/sbin/browserd -s 1550 -n browserui 
 1569 user      2092 S    grep browser
Everything seems to work as expected. The only thing is the dialogue which knows the last used default browser even if browser-switchboard was purged in between.

Thanks, Uwe

Me on twitter

Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
Fremantle users: This release has been pushed into Extras-testing. If you feel this package meets the extras-testing QA criteria (see the link), please vote for it in the extras-testing queue! (If you don't, please do let me know what needs improving, either on this thread or via email.)
Hi,

Here are my comments from the package-testing page:
The behavior of MicroB is changed slightly. Without Browser Swtichboard, clicking on a link from an email opens the link in a new window. With Browser Swithboard however, the link is opened in the currently opened browser window. Bug created.

For Opera and Firefox, the links are opened in new tab, which is the expected behavior.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to archebyte For This Useful Post:
That's the current behavior; good to know others agree that it's the most desirable.

Everything seems to work as expected.
Yes, that's the expected behavior. Thank you for doing this!

I was surprised because Opera was already my default browser. In step 1. I used apt-get purge to unistal browser-switchboard and expected that all config fles are deleted too.
My understanding is that purging a package is only supposed to delete configuration files created during installation of the package. The config file for Browser Switchboard doesn't ship with the package and isn't created during installation, so it shouldn't be touched by the purge. (See section 10.7 of the Debian Policy Manual for details.)

Perhaps a button in the UI for restoring the default config would be in order; for now, "rm ~/.config/browser-switchboard" from a shell is the way to go.

The Following User Says Thank You to steven676 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by archebyte View Post
Hi,

Here are my comments from the package-testing page:
The behavior of MicroB is changed slightly. Without Browser Swtichboard, clicking on a link from an email opens the link in a new window. With Browser Swithboard however, the link is opened in the currently opened browser window. Bug created.

For Opera and Firefox, the links are opened in new tab, which is the expected behavior.
Thanks for the report -- I've committed a fix, which will be in the next release.

I'm unclear as to whether it'd be best to push a release with this fix into extras-testing now (and reset the 10-day clock, as I understand it) or wait until the package reaches extras before pushing a quick fix release. (I don't anticipate 3.4 will come particularly soon, and it seems silly to hold a one-line, low-risk fix that long.) Opinions?

Also, applications are supposed to have a way to request that a link load in an existing browser window (the load_url method). Currently, we treat this the same way as a request to open a new window. I question whether it's appropriate for applications to be allowed to choose the behavior, but strictly, if we're to have bug-for-bug compatibility with MicroB, we should implement this where possible. Comments?

Last edited by steven676; 2010-09-08 at 08:24.

Thanks for the report -- I've committed a fix, which will be in the next release.

I'm unclear as to whether it'd be best to push a release with this fix into extras-testing now (and reset the 10-day clock, as I understand it) or wait until the package reaches extras before pushing a quick fix release. (I don't anticipate 3.4 will come particularly soon, and it seems silly to hold a one-line, low-risk fix that long.) Opinions?
I prefer the option to push the new version now and to reset the timer again. There was never a version of browser-switchboard in extras until today so it should not be a problem to wait 10 days longer.
I also will advertise the package a little bit at the Testingsquad mailing list to make sure there are at least 10 votes which are needed to unlock the package for promotion after 10 days.

Also, applications are supposed to have a way to request that a link load in an existing browser window (the load_url method). Currently, we treat this the same way as a request to open a new window. I question whether it's appropriate for applications to be allowed to choose the behavior, but strictly, if we're to have bug-for-bug compatibility with MicroB, we should implement this where possible. Comments?
I would prefer that
  • the default setting ist "open in a new window" (this ist the current behaviour)
  • there is a check box to configure that in the settings dialogue (maybe in a future version of browser-switchboard)

However I don't know a use case where it would be great to have a new link opened always in the same window. If the "first" application wish to do that an implementation could be considered.

Best regards, Uwe

Me on twitter

My understanding is that purging a package is only supposed to delete configuration files created during installation of the package. The config file for Browser Switchboard doesn't ship with the package and isn't created during installation, so it shouldn't be touched by the purge. (See section 10.7 of the Debian Policy Manual for details.)

Perhaps a button in the UI for restoring the default config would be in order; for now, "rm ~/.config/browser-switchboard" from a shell is the way to go.
You are absolutely right. Only system wide configuration files ( /etc ) are touched by the "purge" option.

I can live very well without a "restore default config" button.

I tried also the following:
  • Set Opera as default browser
  • apt-get purge browser switchboard
  • apt-get remove opera-mobile
  • apt-get install browser-switchboard
  • Opening the browser-switchboard settings dialogue

"Microb" is the default browser. So everything works fine as it is implemented! :-)

Ciao Uwe

Me on twitter

I prefer the option to push the new version now and to reset the timer again. There was never a version of browser-switchboard in extras until today so it should not be a problem to wait 10 days longer.
Okay, I'll try to find time to do that in the next couple of days.

I would prefer that
  • the default setting ist "open in a new window" (this ist the current behaviour)
  • there is a check box to configure that in the settings dialogue (maybe in a future version of browser-switchboard)
I'm tempted to leave the configuration part up to the browsers, since (1) I don't know of a way to control this behavior in any of the browsers other than MicroB and (2) that's the way the desktop browsers seem to handle it.

I'm pleased to announce Browser Switchboard beta release 3.3-1fremantle2 for Fremantle. Packages are now available in extras-testing and on the Garage download page.

This release fixes one regression from 3.2 for Fremantle users: when MicroB was set as the default browser, all links were opening in an existing browser window, instead of a new window. Thanks to archebyte for reporting.

For more information on the changes in this release, see the package changelog; for excruciating detail, see the revision history in Git.

Fremantle users: This release has been pushed into Extras-testing. If you feel this package meets the extras-testing QA criteria (see the link), please vote for it in the extras-testing queue! (If you don't, please do let me know what needs improving, either on this thread or via email.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steven676 For This Useful Post:

Tags
browser, default, microb, opera