Posts: 21 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ California
hey guys, i'm writing a little ruby program for connecting to my Blackjack PAN and wanna provide it for others to use eventually cuz connecting manually is quite the feat..

couple of questions..

please lemme know of any good tutorial on creating .deb's that are gonna require dependencies.. and a .install file, i think i got it.. but maemo had me bouncing between a few different sites.. just wanna make sure i get this right, cuz the user's gonna need ruby-maemo and becomeroot packages i believe.. maybe a few others.. definitely wanna make it as easy as possible for the end user

icons, i've changed some stuff in the .desktop file for it to load up an icon i put in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/hildon i've also tried /usr/share/icons/hicolor/26x26/hildon but to no avail.. it's a transparent png.. but maybe i didnt save it the right size or something, any help on this would be appreciated..

also is it right to just have Icon=blackjack in the .desktop or would a full path be better/doable?

thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to truent For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
Hi,

I ll say take a look at PyPackager and take a look at the .desktop.

You don't need to have the full path in the icon name ... In OS2007, icon are located here : /usr/share/pixmaps/blackjack.png

http://khertan.net/softwares/pypackager.php

'm having the same problem with icon sizes, altho I'm using Pypackager.

It seems to me there are at least four different places where an
application icon appears, and in different sizes.

(0) In the Application Manager - Show installed applications (40?)
(1) In the Task Navigator (64?)
(2) In the Application Switcher - most recently launched (26?)
(3) In the Application Switcher - all running (40?)

There are also at least four different places where I see the icons themselves are
placed when installed:

/usr/share/icons/hicolor/26x26/hildon
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/40x40/hildon
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/hildon
/usr/share/pixmaps

The sizes of the 1st two are clear, but the others, not so much.
In addition when using Pypackager there's an enrty area for an "Icon URL"
that lets you select a location in the file system.

Can anyone explain the mapping between where the icons appear when the files are placed. What sizes they are supposed to be? Are there other requirements besides a png file with transparency?

While I can get an icon to appear in the Task Navigator it's not the large one that I want. I can't get the right one to appear in the Application Manager either, and I get the default cubes in both Application Switcher.

And I've read the the Maemo Tutorial and I can't figure it out from that. Thanks for any help.

Posts: 98 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Antonio, TX
I've run into the same problem with my Advanced-Backlight statusbar applet. I've done a lot of tests, none of which have been successful at anything besides making me want to throw my n800 at a brick wall. Here are some of the notable tests and their results, and how I interpret the results:

Test 1: Create a new icon and set it as the icon for an applet.
Code:
Applet: Bluetooth
.desktop file: /usr/share/applications/hildon-status-bar/hildon-status-bar-bluetooth.desktop
Icon: qgn_list_bluetooth_visible
full path: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/26x26/hildon/qgn_list_bluetooth_visible.png
new icon file: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/26x26/hildon/qgn_list_bluetooth_copy.png

what I did: copied the original bluetooth icon png and renamed it
            set the Icon variable to: qgn_list_bluetooth_copy

Result: a blank space next to the text Bluetooth where the icon should be.
Interpretation: Icon files not present on the system when it was flashed are not readable by the applet list.
Test 2: Change the icon for an applet to use another applet's icon.
Code:
Applet 1: Bluetooth
.desktop file 1: /usr/share/applications/hildon-status-bar/hildon-status-bar-bluetooth.desktop
Icon 1: qgn_list_bluetooth_visible

Applet 2: Display
.desktop file 2: /usr/share/applications/hildon-status-bar/hildon-status-bar-display.desktop
Icon 2: qgn_list_displaybright4

what I did: changed value of Icon1 (in .desktop1) to the same as Icon2 (from .desktop2)

Result: The icon changes to Icon2, as expected.
Interpretation: Icon files that are already present on the system or are in use by other applets can be read normally by any applet, and the Icon variable in the .desktop files DOES affect the icon displayed.
Test 3: Copy an existing icon png over the original png for an applet.
Code:
Applet 1: Bluetooth
.desktop file 1: /usr/share/applications/hildon-status-bar/hildon-status-bar-bluetooth.desktop
Icon 1: qgn_list_bluetooth_visible
full path 1: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/26x26/hildon/qgn_list_bluetooth_visible.png

Applet 2: Display
.desktop file 2: /usr/share/applications/hildon-status-bar/hildon-status-bar-display.desktop
Icon 2: qgn_list_displaybright4
full path 2: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/26x26/hildon/qgn_list_displaybright4.png

what I did: replaced the png file from fullpath1 with the file from fullpath2

Result: The bluetooth icon does not change at all.
Interpretation: The applet list does not actually get its images from the file system, but possibly caches them somewhere in memory we can't access (similar to the first boot image, for those familiar with that system). Note that I am really only speculating what kind of @&#*ed up stuff is going on here...
Please note that I rebooted my tablet after each test just to make sure it wasn't a simple caching issue.

I will add more test results here as I get them if they show me anything new. As of now, I really don't want to work on this any more, as it is extremely frustrating to have things just NOT WORK when they should, especially something so trivial.

Last edited by rm_you; 2008-06-05 at 22:51.

Code:
gtk-update-icon-cache -f /usr/share/icons/hicolor

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know why this isn't in the documentation anywhere... >_<

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Code:
gtk-update-icon-cache -f /usr/share/icons/hicolor

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
Originally Posted by rm_you View Post
I don't know why this isn't in the documentation anywhere... >_<
It is: http://maemo.org/development/documen...n_package.html

In a yellow note at the end of the document

The Following User Says Thank You to yerga For This Useful Post:
Interesting... I just looked all over the pages about statusbar applets and such, didn't think about it being a more general issue... That said, it is still odd that rebooting didn't fix the problem, as I did that after every single test and it never affected anything, even though that note suggests it would.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by yerga View Post
It is: http://maemo.org/development/documen...n_package.html

In a yellow note at the end of the document
That link isn't valid anymore. It is now here.

Also I had to run Benson's command and then reboot for my icons to show up. Interesting.