Posts: 9 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Jyväskylä, Finland
Hello,

I have a weird problem with charging of my N900 battery with Nokia DC-11 extra power unit (http://europe.nokia.com/find-product...ra-power-dc-11).

Problem is simple: DC-11 is not charging it if N900 battery level is low. So DC-11 fails to do what it is made for (with N900).

Is anyone here experiencing same problems with those devices? Charging functions ok with DC-11 when charging almost full N900 battery. My DC-11 also works fine with my E61i, so it is not a problem with that device.

Product compatibility spesifications at nokia.com does not mention N900, but states following: "Also charges other Nokia phones, accessories and other devices using a microUSB charging interface or a Nokia 2 mm charging interface." --> It should work ok (?)

I hope this is a software problem in N900. Any info about this?

Last edited by hessuj; 2009-12-08 at 13:51. Reason: Subscribed for replies

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Brighton
Maybe it's been updated since - Nokia Europe now *does* list the N900 :S

I have an N900 and DC-11 and have not seen this problem. I am able to charge the N900 with low battery.

i have the same problem also usb cable does not charge it sometimes. have to restart unit to make it work.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Liberty, SC
I have similar charging problems.

I can charge using the AC charger, a car charger in my truck but not in my wifes SUV. I can charge using the USB cable plugged in my computer but not if I plug it in a charger battery similar to the Nokia DC-11 or a AC to USB charger brick or Auto to USB plug. I have tried several USB cables also getting the same results as I just described.

yep its getting annoying and with gmail imap idle not working im getting even more frustrated. Cant even select text in an email, can in an sms though. do i keep the n900 or not?

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Virginia
I've just purchased several external batteries and noticed similiar problems. The ZAGGsparq does not work, neither does the battery from my solar backpack. However the tiny solar charged battery I got off ThinkGeek (The Juicebar) does. I'm not sure why, but it *is* a problem with the N900 and I can't wait till it's fixed.

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by vmessy View Post
yep its getting annoying and with gmail imap idle not working im getting even more frustrated. Cant even select text in an email, can in an sms though. do i keep the n900 or not?
I think that's a question shared by many of us. There are plenty of little bugs that make you feel like "is this worth the money I spent"? I was annoyed by the DC11 charging problems until I noticed that this didn't happen when charging through a real USB port or the wall charger.

The question remains. Why include an accessory that makes people think that the N900 is buggy? Good intentions, bad results.

It's the same with non-hildonized-good-for-nothing OVI Maps, the buggy A2DP (this hurts when using a BH-905, trust me), trashy IMAP...

But I bet for the Maemo community, the Maemo group at Nokia and Nokia (in that order) to find, report and kill those bugs and move the user experience forward.

The N900 with Maemo5 is still far better for me than Android 1.6 or iPhone OS 3.0, so I have no regrets.

I have this gut feeling that Maemo6 will be the real deal when it arrives. And as I said, I'm sure that in a couple of months most of the bugs will be squashed.

Edit: For the problems charging from "dumb" usb sources there is a solution posted in another thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38230

Last edited by itorres; 2009-12-27 at 19:00. Reason: add link to a charging solution

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Have you tried using the 2mm one with the microUSB adapter?

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
I believe the problem was mentioned somewhere else on the forum. The D+, D- Pins of the USB connector has to be shorted. Please search.