Active Topics

I see this as some people from the old Nokia we actually liked, trying to save things from Elops stupidity.

Like a mother giving away her child as it will be under attack if it stays at home.

Also good luck with the Windows 8 qt! Microsoft will need to be bought over, they will never happily accept qt, especially after trying to kill it!

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to godofwar424 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Great for nokia all and all. They don't need Qt. and stocks dont care.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Now lets see what markets think about digia and nokia stocks...

my guess is nokia up and digia down or around the same as before.
Digia up 10,42% in Helsinki at the moment. (They also annouced quaterly results today. Back on profit after few bad quarters).

Nokia up 5,51%.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by godofwar424 View Post
Also good luck with the Windows 8 qt! Microsoft will need to be bought over, they will never happily accept qt, especially after trying to kill it!
I don't think Qt on Windows 8 will be a problem. Qt on Windows Phone 8 on the other hand might be though not as big a problem as WP7 was.

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by godofwar424 View Post
Just because you are a hot head governed exclusively by bad feelings (and no reason) doesn't mean everybody else are. Business is business, choices has to be made. Qt didn't fit in. That is all there is to it. Besides, this is the best that could ever happened to qt. Now it is free to be used anywhere with no strings of any kind.

Originally Posted by www.rzr.online.fr View Post
"Following the acquisition, Digia plans to quickly enable Qt on Android, iOS and Windows 8 platforms."
Huh huh... "quickly" remains to be seen, perhaps :-)

But if they really do bring Qt to Android (preferably along with PyQt or PySide), allowing people to create useful apps like we did on Maemo... well at least there would be *one* positive outcome from this long and painful Nokia debacle...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by specc View Post
Just because you are a hot head governed exclusively by bad feelings (and no reason) doesn't mean everybody else are. Business is business, choices has to be made. Qt didn't fit in. That is all there is to it. Besides, this is the best that could ever happened to qt. Now it is free to be used anywhere with no strings of any kind.
I'm confused on this. Digia is, and has been for quite some time, the Commercialized version of Qt. Now unless they start putting some of the commercial modules (read non-free for open source programmers) back into the mainline, then this is pretty much business as usual for them. I don't think they can take anything away from Qt, but it seems most of the mobile parts of the libraries are governed by non-GPL or non-LGPL licenses.

Someone from the Qt project I'm sure could tell it better, and more accurately.

slaapliedje
I have figured out the reason 'smartphones' were invented. They are for reading the internet while pooping. This means the best smartphone ever created is the N9. It is the only one that works so well single-handed.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
I'm confused on this. Digia is, and has been for quite some time, the Commercialized version of Qt. Now unless they start putting some of the commercial modules (read non-free for open source programmers) back into the mainline, then this is pretty much business as usual for them.
Before they were only handling commercial licensing and professional support for Qt commercial licenses.

Now they bought the "whole" Qt Labs from Nokia. All of Nokia's former Qt developer teams now work for Digia. Its a big change.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Yep, here is the news.

http://www.reuters.com/finance/stock...rticle/2587375

Nokia also sold patents to Vringo today. The same Vringo that is in a patent dispute with google.

P.S. I find it odd that the Nokia stock thread was closed. Could somebody explain that please?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Those who have power are pleased to invoke it in the manner that pleases them.It is not for us mortals to question or even understand what they do. Their explanations would not make sense to us anyway, the gulf that always separates the human from the divine.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia defiled, strickn2thegrnd