Closed Thread
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Seems that finally many of you also think market, visibility and how Jolly using the words in public. The SDK won't change that. It's very lily that they just add a link to their OS page and send out a tweet and that's it. When you release somthing as a small Compony. Make something about it. Doesn't really matter how small and what the release is about. Mybee they relaying on the community to work as their marketing machine, providing step by step, videos and texts.

Show us the browser and show working android applications that is the "new stuff".

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
So you know for a fact that they've even bothered to read/answer some of it?
I hope they're not taking the attitude; "Oh well, they can just wait till MWC for SOME answers." Starting to feel like deja-vu again :-/
So this has been confirmed, it is definitely coming (at least some answers)...
It has been delayed primarily due to stskeeps being ill, but it is being worked on supposedly.
No clear time-lines yet sadly, but hopefully a large chunk will be addressed before we hit MWC.
The remainder can be cleared-up @MWC or in subsequent mths, hopefully there won't be many non-addressed Qns/Ideas by the end of MWC though.
Then the Concerns/Criticisms doc can get more of a workout, & eventually be presented to the Sailfish_Alliance too.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-02-11 at 08:48.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
does this mean they answer half a question/day?

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-02-11 at 08:36.

no device announcement on mwc - disappointing.....

From @JollaHQ
#Jolla will be at #MWC13 focusing on meeting key partners, and presenting the #Sailfish SDK (via pre-arranged meetings only).

Also from @JollaHQ
@vedhaspatkar The first Jolla device product will be announced at a later time.

Last edited by Morpog; 2013-02-13 at 15:29.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Really disappointing. But still the first device shall be announced during Q1 so it can't be that far away for the public.

Does it mean that the alpha SDK will be available for DL for the public or is closed meetings only?

Well, that makes it easier to focus on the first tizen devices during MWC.

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-02-13 at 15:53.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Disappointing, I hope this doesn't mean Q1 is slipping as the announce target too, we'll know soon enough...
Tizen's not very interesting now that it's looking like a completely closed Samsung-only game, with little-to-no wider collab.
There's still confusion over what native libs they're now using*, no-one's even allowed to know that, bizarrely enough.
But, lets see what extra detail they decide to release at MWC.....

*EFL may no longer be a major component.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-02-13 at 16:54.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Well, they sure learned how to procastinate and be late with everything at Nokia!

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
Let's see... Ubuntu apparently will release a beta version of their phone OS for developers (running on the Galaxy Nexus) this month. Jolla will release their N950 version for developers to use - never, apparently. Ubuntu has an SDK and sample native app available for download at their website now. At Jolla's website, you can view a collection of twitter posts.

Both companies seem to have a beta version of their code running on an existing phone, which looks nice in a demo video. What makes you so sure Jolla is way ahead of Ubuntu?
because of its history. Jolla developers knows about embedded Linux and phonestack, camera stack etc... Canonical does not.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-02-13 at 19:40.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
because of its history. Jolla developers knows about embedded Linux and phonestack, camera stack etc... Canonical does not.
How do you know what unknown (to you), devs knows. Pretty intressting assessment

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 120 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
Well, they sure learned how to procastinate and be late with everything at Nokia!
I don't think they're late with anything... Jolla announced their Sailfish SDK by Q1 2013 and a device before summer 2013. That's all and we're still in time - everything else was brought of by others.

I would even say, that they're being very different to Nokia. While Nokia often announced many things which afterwards got cancelled or weren't published for months, Jolla is more careful with that.
We probably shouldn't compare Canonical/Ubuntu Foundation with Jolla and we'll certainly see a proper jolla.com website once they have more to show/tell.

Just see what happened with their statement that Sailfish can run on N9/N950...many started to think that there will be some kind of update by Jolla for those Nokia phones (I heard many creative requests about that...).

Last edited by almamo; 2013-02-14 at 02:28.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to almamo For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
jolla, nokia-again?, not-so-open, totally closed, zipper is open