Notices

Originally Posted by s33 View Post
I was thinking more like locking files with a PIN.when unlocking asks for the secret PIN....dnt know if thats easy or not......

What about that???Locking can be a feature of a file manager right?
It can, but you could still access them without any pin from the stock FM or anything else. So its pretty useless. You'd need to either hide them or encrypt them or both for it to be of any use. Encryption could be a FM feature but nothing I'm planning to do unless everything else is working... which will be a long long time.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by lukash View Post
New version is in the repos, featuring bright and shiny icons. It just didn't feel finished without them, so I rushed to make it before the competition officially ends

Oh, and they may not look like much... But they will change color with your theme, so you never have to worry they'll blend with the background and they'll always fit in

@s33: Speak of the devil... Regarding hiding of the files, I'm really not sure how you would like it done. Its not a job for a file manager anyway... I could hide them in case, but any other FM would see them. you can't really hide anything on a normal file system. You'd need something more elaborate. (hidden partition or something.)
I think he meant the hidden file feature in linux. That you can put a point (.) infront of a file or folder to make it hidden. Although the stock FM can't handle this on n900 other Filemanagers can. And i presume Case can too

Edit: Was to fast to write this

Last edited by AlMehdi; 2010-07-22 at 09:47.

Agreed. And some stuff will most probably end up in menus anyway, because there will be no other place for it and it wouldn't need to be accessed so frequently. And just today I actually noticed some notions of gestures support in the QT docs. I didn't look for it earlier and didn't bump into it. Seems there might be something nice available already

I'm not sure how hard it will be, but its on the roadmap. If it would be a good solution to just mount it on the FS, it wouldn't be too hard. But direct access.. don't know.
Remember it can be easy to do the gesture wrong which could be devastating when handlign files. But that looks promising.

I was more thinking of scp.. like if you want to send a file. A popup appers to put down the password. And then it sends it to the other preconfigured computer.

Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
I think he meant the hidden file feature in linux. That you can put a point (.) infront of a file or folder to make it hidden. Although the stock FM can't handle this on n900 other Filemanagers can. And i presume Case can too

Edit: Was to fast to write this
I've already explained the hidden files concept and it didn't seem to satisfy him case can show them (although its a bit buggy on the QT side) and will allow to create them too. Right now there is no possibility to create new file/dir or rename existing one. Its very high on the priority list though.

Remember it can be easy to do the gesture wrong which could be devastating when handlign files. But that looks promising.
I've found the context menu equally devastating sometimes One day on a train (a bit bumpy ride) I spent about 15 minutes trying to create a playlist in the default media player. What a horror... Every time, after tediously adding the songs one by one using the context menu, I either didn't press long enough and it started playing the current file, destroying my playlist, or messed up in some other way. Absolutely terrible.

There are confirmation dialogs on all operations in case and they will stay there. (possibly you could turn them off in the settings, but as much as I dislike confirmation dialogs, here they are really needed IMO).

I was more thinking of scp.. like if you want to send a file. A popup appers to put down the password. And then it sends it to the other preconfigured computer.
Something like that might not be so difficult, calling the scp binary.. (unless there's a lib for that as well) But still there are other things that need to be done first.

The Following User Says Thank You to lukash For This Useful Post:
I've found the context menu equally devastating sometimes One day on a train (a bit bumpy ride) I spent about 15 minutes trying to create a playlist in the default media player. What a horror... Every time, after tediously adding the songs one by one using the context menu, I either didn't press long enough and it started playing the current file, destroying my playlist, or messed up in some other way. Absolutely terrible.

There are confirmation dialogs on all operations in case and they will stay there. (possibly you could turn them off in the settings, but as much as I dislike confirmation dialogs, here they are really needed IMO).

Something like that might not be so difficult, calling the scp binary.. (unless there's a lib for that as well) But still there are other things that need to be done first.
That was what i wanted the hear
Me to do not like confirmation dialogs but in this case they would be important.

New bugfix release is in the repository, fixed some behavior on errors and improved the overwrite dialog.

Also, the voting thread of the N900 voting competition is up. So go get me some votes.... I only have 1 so far, thats very demoralizing.

New version should soon be available, with new feature to enter new file name in the overwrite dialog. I'm leaving on a vacation, so things gonna be slow, but heres some what's next for those interested:
- add ability to pause/cancel the operations
- add a hideable bottom panel with buttons
- some trivial buttons like create empty file/dir will go there
- and finally some buttons to send files over bluetooth/ssh/telepathy/email/whatever...

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Kerala,India
What is missing in all file managers is a detailed list view, with file size, date,time created/modified etc

i got denied permission while trying move the file to /home/user/ folder....is there a way to open the case with root ?

Tags
file manager