Closed Thread
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ alor star
for sure nokia will die if they cannot invent the alternative to iphone and android device.. buy or not? maemo fails... meego fails.... symbian ongoing to fails.... wp is just a windows.... but i predict that wp will succeed if they can fight hard through several years to come... and if they succeed there will be another maemo/meego device for us.. cheers

Last edited by ir.miringila; 2012-05-04 at 11:24.

Originally Posted by ajwatt View Post
All of the companies you listed were started by American individuals with minimal budgets. So I ask you, why don't you go out and do the same? Why complain and wait for someone else to do it? I don't mean to criticize you, I am just asking it as a rhetorical question. Maybe the reason all those companies are American ones is because there is an American mentality that is different than that of Europeans. Everyone in the USA is dreaming about how to start more companies like that every day.

Also, Europe has good car companies. VAG is on top, for one. I don't know why they bought Ducati, but I guess they can because they are on top. Just because GM left Saab to die you should not be disappointed.
We have very good car companies.
Even in the "expensive sector":
http://www.netcarshow.com/bugatti/20...ibier_concept/

I liked this Quote from the comment section on Tomi's blog:

Originally Posted by asko, who was at the Nokia's shareholder meeting
About Skype Elop said that Nokia, Microsoft and some carriers are having meetings where they try to find a way for carriers to accept Skype. Basicly the goal was to make Skype chargeable (non free) for the carrier networks. For example giving bad normal service for free Skype at the carrier networks and so forcing Skype customers to buy premium service for using Skype.
Yes. That's the way to go into the future. Sabotage Microsoft's Skype.

Good news to open standards VOIP systems, if they start to restrict and sabotage Skype.

http://ekiga.org/

VOIP systems are here to stay. In America, the few big carriers can afford to upset their customers by blocking certain data traffic. But that would be the exception. Here, I think it would probably even be illegal.

I am assuming what Microsoft is doing, is something akin to what Spotify did. Pee on free users and gain a larger paying subscriber base in the process. Less traffic, more income. Win for Spotify/Skype, Win for competitors that want more users. Or want to sell phones with non-crippled software.

Last edited by volt; 2012-05-04 at 12:49.

This is a little off topic but since it came up; I have never undertood the concept of patents. When I was starting out as a researcher at university all those years ago we had somebody come in and talk about IP and patents. What he essentially told me is that you cannot patent an idea but you can patent a method. Trouble is that most of the things I've seen patented are ideas and often the method itself is an idea anyway. I remember him then asking the audience can you patent a green ball. I thought, no, but it turned out you can because high visibility ball is the idea and painting it green is the method. He then went on to discuss how to file for a patent and the cost. I've been confused about and hated patents since then. To me they do not promote innovation, they are merely a barrier to entry for independent inventors.

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ alor star
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
This is a little off topic but since it came up; I have never undertood the concept of patents. When I was starting out as a researcher at university all those years ago we had somebody come in and talk about IP and patents. What he essentially told me is that you cannot patent an idea but you can patent a method. Trouble is that most of the things I've seen patented are ideas and often the method itself is an idea anyway. I remember him then asking the audience can you patent a green ball. I thought, no, but it turned out you can because high visibility ball is the idea and painting it green is the method. He then went on to discuss how to file for a patent and the cost. I've been confused about and hated patents since then. To me they do not promote innovation, they are merely a barrier to entry for independent inventors.
one hundred percent agree with you.... the day will come when you have to pay a royalty just to paint your car green!

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
One of the main issue with patent is that they are absolutely not scalable (aside from the difficulty to judge what is patentable and what isn't).
Basically every inventor is supposed to check everything patented by every other inventor (so that's inventor squared complexity). Plus, with systems of systems as we have today, the value of the base bricks decrease much more rapidly than the patent constraints (software practice and transistors become market standard/ old tech in a couple of years, whereas patents stay for 20). That means for the same amount of innovation in a product, at constant R&D investment, there is an increase number of patented parts (and related costs) in your product.

Patents should fade at the same pace as tech improve (ie life of patent ~ life of tech / size of the industry R&D)

Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
Nokia stocks are still going down. Major fall today.

Nokia Stock $3.17 -0.19‎ (-5.53%‎)

Originally Posted by panjgoori View Post
Nokia stocks are still going down. Major fall today.

Nokia Stock $3.17 -0.19‎ (-5.53%‎)
Look at how their profits dropped since Elops announcement. They went from first (second since Elop) to dead last.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=CPVTkLOOPho

Closed Thread

Tags
goodbye nokia, investing, last quotes, lumiatard, samsung, specc=ericsson, stock, the elop flop, the flop elop, tizen