Active Topics

Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
I'm guilty of it myself. A noob posts a "OMG this phone is crap" post and I jump to it's defence, ususally berating the noob, because personally I love it, but I am aware I have to put work into it to get the best out of it.

It's not good though is it, because often the noob will post a question without thinking and may not even come back to check the replies. We are left beating ourselves up with the same old posts.

Therefore I would like to make a suggestion: -
  1. One person replies to the post stating that the OP's post is not clear enough / does not provide examples / is inflammatory / is not helping.
  2. NO-ONE ELSE POSTS until the OP reposts in a more helpful manner.
  3. Helpful replies flood in. Karma flows and the world becomes a nicer place.

Hopefully this will reduce some of the FUD and misinformation floating around. Comments please!

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to JohnLF For This Useful Post:
Posts: 243 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Knowhere
Perhaps the initial reply could also point the OP to the Power Search finction and suggest a couple search terms?

The Following User Says Thank You to hellnick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 754 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
a nice start, how about a wiki for the non-linux/non-techy users , I know many exist, but 1 page with all links/answers to basic features and questions one could come up with

*EDIT*
there I picked up some
http://wiki.maemo.org/Frequently_asked_questions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N900
http://wiki.maemo.org/N900
Travelapp - london underground status/planner ( website )
Batlevel - desktop widget for battery level ( website )

“I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

Last edited by krk969; 2010-03-24 at 14:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to krk969 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by JohnLF View Post
I'm guilty of it myself. A noob posts a "OMG this phone is crap" post and I jump to it's defence, ususally berating the noob, because personally I love it, but I am aware I have to put work into it to get the best out of it.

It's not good though is it, because often the noob will post a question without thinking and may not even come back to check the replies. We are left beating ourselves up with the same old posts.

Therefore I would like to make a suggestion: -
  1. One person replies to the post stating that the OP's post is not clear enough / does not provide examples / is inflammatory / is not helping.

Hopefully this will reduce some of the FUD and misinformation floating around. Comments please!
Good idea.
We would have to make sure, that everyone knows of this strategy.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by JohnLF View Post
Step two would be great, but it's not gonna happen in the connected tubes knows as the Interweb.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 43 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Romania
@JohnLF Great idea!
@krk969 There are lots of wikis and how-to's as well as lots of threads and users still don't use the search function.
I don't know much about Linux or Maemo, but whenever I don't understand something, I look for it. There's nothing that I haven't found so far.
I think we should create a "Junk" section of this forum and then propose moderators to move unuseful threads there.

The Following User Says Thank You to sanki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 397 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sydney
Perhaps a simple box in the reply form reminding users to be respectful when replying.

that's a great idea! I will do my part!

let's see if it works!

Maybe the Mods can change the title of the thread to start with a letter or symbol that would indicate sucha thing.

... actually what if the mods just lock the thread?

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
The first poster should integrate something like that in his answer to remind everyone:

"Please remind to not post until the OP provides more information, to reduce unnecessary posts"

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post: