Active Topics

Hi guys i need your help, i have n9 16gb pr 1.2. Problem is my wife took a video of my daughter from her nokia e6 , and transfered it to my n9 through Bluetooth, but when i played it on n9 it only played for 2 seconds , and then an error appears on screen saying
' you cant play these types of file on this device '
i checked it for some more videos,and format is MP4 but no use. Can anyone help.
thanks

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
some symbian based phone videos are not compatible with Harmattan, codec missmatch, so your out of luck. You need to re-encode them in a PC to supported codec-format before they play in N9.

The Following User Says Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
its for the CODEC not for the container, i dont know which codec uses E6 but its for sure, it is one not supported by N9, sorry i know its a shame

The Following User Says Thank You to eltoffer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
I mean that E6 shoots 720p in medium or high profile, which is not supported by N9. You need to re-encode 720p to 480p baseprofile, and then it should play fine even on .mp4 files. (medium and high profiles will not play even on 480p).

The Following User Says Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
thanks to both for this info. Can you help me how i can re-code on pc. Which software can do that?

^You may have heard about vlc, ffmpeg or mencoder... There is also many Windows-based software for re-encode. Maybe Handbrake?

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

I use ffmpeg:
ffmpeg -i movie.mp4 -s 854x480 -vcodec libx264 -b 4096k -profile baseline -acodec copy -threads 0 out.mp4

The Following User Says Thank You to jflatt For This Useful Post:

Tags
n9 epic fail