Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
I like being able to use my Nokia Internet Tablet as a computer, so that in a pinch I can work in a spreadsheet or edit some word-processing file.

But I got over the notion that it would be a computer for me and not primarily a web and e-reading device a long time ago.

Yes, the NIT really brought the price of a carryaround Linux computer way down.

But today I see[1] that Target has an Asus 7-inch EEE, complete with wifi, keyboard, 800x480 screen and 3 USB ports, for $270. BestBuy has the Asus 8.9-inch EEE (1024x600) for $300. And soon BB will be selling the 10-inch MSI Wind (1024x600, 120GB drive, 1.6 GHz Atom processor and Windows XP Home) for $399.

These are computer-first, carryaround-second devices, with pricing that seems to have sped past Nokia's. If computing were my primary portable need, I'd be looking at them instead of the 8-ounce pocket-sized NIT.

To stand out in the crowd, the Internet Tablet needs to be the best at what it does best. Versatility counts, but let's keep in mind what our primary need is, what we want to see first when we turn the device on. And really shine at that.

So, yippee! that the N810 WiMAX Edition is out, and hurray! that HSPA is in the works. Getting the internet — even walking or driving around — that's what it's all about.

_____
[1] Via techbargains.com
Read the full article.

Last edited by RogerS; 2008-10-15 at 19:47.

The Following User Says Thank You to RogerS For This Useful Post:
Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
For me the ability to put the tablet in my pocket is what differentiates it from the netbooks. Once you move to the clamshell size, I feel that limits it's use.

Each person's needs will be different. I just got back in town having left my laptop at home taking just the tablet. For me the tablet form factor is different enough I don't feel burdened taking it anywhere.

Frank

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Frank Banul For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
If they somehow manage to make a "clam shell swivel tablet" pc thin enough to fit in ones pocket, I will buy it. Until then, neither the N810 or a netbook is the ideal choice, because there are so many sacrifices.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
I personally like using my 810 to print, play games with joystick, burn DVD's.

It's not just a niche device, It is a computer, if you use it as one.

Is that a penguin in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Yeah.. I may get a netbook someday for fun but... with the USB tricks.. a USB keyboard, mouse, and a 4 port hub.. this little device is my computer at home. Not quite perfect.. but pretty darn close.

The main thing a netbook is useful for (for me) is the VGA out for a real monitor. Once we can get the USB2VGA to work flawless on this tablet then an entire PC docking station is 1 cable away. But looking at the small screen while typing on a keyboard is sometimes quite a pain...
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
I prefer a full blown, dual 24" screen computer, at least 8GB RAM, 5TB hard drive. But carrying it around is tedious.

I learned at IBM in the late 60's to carry a thinkpad, (see sig) and eventually moved to a small pocket notebook. When the RS 100 came on the scene I was lucky enough to get one from work. I liked it and subsequent notebooks, but they were all to big to replace my paper solution.

I've got the HP95LX, 100LX, and 200LX they all replaced paper in my pocket.

Normal PDA screens (Palm, Compaq,...) are all to small.

The Nokia N810 is the ideal form factor for me, fits easily in a shirt pocket, and with just a couple of small adapters connects me to everything I need. Thank God for OTG.

To me it's my Linux computer, my penguin in my pocket. It does internet well, but also a lot of other things.

It's my "Swiss Army Knife" computer. Now if they could just get the teleportation chip working
PLEASE use the Wiki

The Following User Says Thank You to gemniii42 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
World's first portable computer weighs 60 pounds, is built like a tank, and runs only on AC power.

http://www.computercloset.org/ibm5100.htm

Key Dates: Announced September 9, 1975

Original Price: $8975 to $19,975 depending on memory (16K, 32K, 48K or 64K) and language (APL, BASIC, or both) options

CPU: IBM circuit module

Operating System:
BASIC and/or APL

Input/Output: Built-in 5" monochrome monitor with 16-line by 64-character display; built-in tape drive with 204KB capacity; proprietary printer connection for 5103 printer and 5106 auxiliary tape drive

Its a computer and a pretty darn awesome one compared to the first portable computer. I'd say the price is pretty good also
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
;-))

OK.
Back to the topic...

I for myself have both a NIT as well as a netbook.

I bought the netbook recently - why?
- I tried to use the NIT as stationary devive as well. You need a bigger keyboard, a mouse and an VGA output for that.

All these things are included in a netbook and are not yet fullfilled with a NIT (connected via usb2vga toa monitor, keyboard/mouse connected to usb host).

So afterall both devices have pros and cons and can't (yet) replace themselves:

Netbook:
+ Office Keyboard (wind)
+ Mouse/Touchpad (Touchscreen additionally would improve)
+ 1024x600 display, even connectable to VGA

- doesn't fit in a pocket
- boot time

NIT:
+ small
+ "always on"

-/+ internal keyboard not for office use, but available (N810)

- mouse not (really) supported
- Display not realtime connectable to external VGA

My vision is to carry my NIT around, do everything with it and connect it to large VGA, keyboard, mouse at the office and continue working.

Hope that next device enables this...

asys3

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to asys3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
asys3,

sounds like a nice way to work.
I currently carry liqbase around on the drive and do all compilation directly from it onboard, or connect via ssh for a full editing session from a big computer.

What upsets me most about this device are programs written for the desktop running on the tablet.
The form factor is wrong and an interface which "works" with a mouse falls down horribly on the device.
the inverse is also true and when we start to plug touch specific applications onto a big screen you will see for yourself.

(liqbase on a 17inch monitor is awful to use with a mouse and the size of the buttons makes the pointer tremble!)

I wonder how this problem will be resolved in newer more touch friendly devices come around offering tv out capabilities?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
lcuk,
absolutely right.

Running desktop heavy apps ported to the NIT are from a academic point of view nice, cool and impressive.

But mostly slow and not optimized for a tablet.

But the other way round is not so bad, I think.
You can use most of the apps on the tablet as well on a desktop.

And if you could switch between stylus and mouse or use them both most things would work well.
Scaling of applications should work also (oh yes -that's not yet fulfilled).

asys3

Last edited by asys3; 2008-10-16 at 03:11.