Originally Posted by brendan View Post
is "uploading" from the "future" a paradox of ideas? (..) wouldn't it be like backloading or preloading or pre-back-down-date-rape-loaded-ness-ing-ly-ism
Not sure about the order of the first three words (obviously), but yes, something like that. Or so I seem to recall.

Posts: 269 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by sherifnix View Post
The battery isn't an issue except when it fails. There is plenty of external charging options for ipods (same connector). At least for me, in 2 years when the battery is on its way out, I'll want an updated phone.

The N95 can't even make it through the day without a recharge, the iPhone has almost double the battery life, with a much superior web experience. And its half the thickness, I don't need a brick in my pocket. Maybe the N95 is ok if you like fanny packs!

Secondly, in terms of usability, fluidity and speed... the iPhone destroys the N95 on all fronts.

Geeks and forum goers like to go off specs like HSDPA and GPS... people that actually buy phones won't care about specs and zomg 3g if its a pain in the *** to use, and your battery is dead at 3pm.

I don't expect Nokia or HTC to produce a phone that compares to the iPhone for at least another year or two. Apple has raised the bar in usability. Yea its not perfect, but hell if you say it isn't a MUCH superior experience.

Edit:

Plus you can now unlock the phone using DVDJon's iphone authentication server, no more contract if you're so inclined. Everyone here is savvy enough to handle that
ok but i ve been surfing with Edge phones as modem. it s so slow it s frustrating.
soon there will be a flat version of the bulky n95.

i dont work for nokia and i m not a Finn ;-)

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Not sure about the order of the first three words (obviously), but yes, something like that. Or so I seem to recall.
i suggest pastloading. it means sending material into the past.
hey TabulaRasa, pastload us 250 million dollars credit note, i m sure it's worth nothing upthere ;-)

Hello, I'm back. Sorry it took me so long -- traffic was backed up pretty badly because one of the Segways in the Bill Clinton Tunnel lost a gyro.

It's not possible to send financial instruments back in time with the N800 firmware update Only information can be transmitted. However, 250,000,000 dollars is not an insignificant sum here in the future. It covers three months of SkypeIn service on our N800s.

Anyway, it's time for me to call my grandson. I'm trying to get him to port a version of OpenOffice or Abiword over to the N800. After all of these decades, it's a shame that there is no word processor for our tablets. I'm happy to report, though, that the synching issue has been solved (as a result of there being no more PCs to synch our tablets with).

Enjoy the new firmware!

Posts: 299 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Wales UK
Not any more it isnt.
Just downloaded from http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I am a *****
I am the greatest ***** in the world

That's the one I was downloading yesterday! I know because the firefox link is the color of already followed links! And I stopped downloading without controlling the file name when reloading the page the 4.something version wasn't there any more!

I could have been testing this release yesterday.

Oh well who cares :-)

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
I am a *****
I am the greatest ***** in the world

That's the one I was downloading yesterday! I know because the firefox link is the color of already followed links! And I stopped downloading without controlling the file name when reloading the page the 4.something version wasn't there any more!

I could have been testing this release yesterday.

Oh well who cares :-)
At least I do!
You achieved something great. THis thread was probalbly the funniest in the whole forum. People cracked jokes for the whole day, your thread remained on top of the list! And we discovered the next releases thanks to TabulaRasa who posted from the future.

I'm trying to manually download.

I've been trying for 5 times already and the file never completely downloads...

Is it just me? As a consumer, I feel that this is another reason why Nokia doesn't provide good after-sales service. Their servers don't seem to be up to it.

Edit:

Finally got the file...updated. Skype looks good! But what was important in this update is that the screen sensitivity has been improved. The right edge seems better now on my set. All this is just on first glance..have not fully tested yet.

Last edited by luketoh; 2007-07-06 at 09:03.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
It seems that the initfs flasher by Fanoush has to be updated for the new firmware. The first thing I wanted to do is transport the OS on my internal mmc, but for now wasn't possible.

Edit: The new flasher is already available. Thanks!

Last edited by debernardis; 2007-07-07 at 13:16.

I read there is also an Opera update. But what version is it? Is it 9.0 or still a 8.5x version? Because the 9 series for devices is out for over half a year. Would be nice to have in combination with the new flash 9