Posts: 56 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
Just found this on CNET Asia:

http://asia.cnet.com/crave/2010/03/1...able-to-meego/

Thanks a lot Nokia!

You just killed your flagship device! What are you going to be selling for the rest of the year until your first MeeGo device is released?

Last edited by troff76; 2010-03-15 at 11:06.

Not another thread on rumours and here say

The Following User Says Thank You to rolan900d For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
FUD?

I mean, wtf, N900 will be reference device for MeeGo. How is this not 'upgrade-able'?
:P

Go read http://meego.com/community/blogs/val...owards-day-one

Also, you are utterly insane if you think you can SSU your way to a different OS with different packaging. Which is what 'upgrade-able' usually means.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2010-03-15 at 10:59.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 135 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cambridgeshire, UK
What a shocker!

Same old same old from Nokia... they've dropped new expensive devices like this before and it would appear they're doing it again.

The Following User Says Thank You to stopgap For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Read carefully!
Maemo on Nokia N900 is not upgradeable to MeeGo
Sure that !MAEMO! is not upgradeable to !MEEGO!
Bad comparison: but is OSX upgradeable to ArchLinux?
We already know, that meego programs will run on maemo and vice-versa. we also know, that a community driven version of meego is coming to the n900.
I don't see, where Nokia has killed it's flagship device (the N97 btw....). Also they haven't killed the N900.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
First saw this and thought "more FUD" but cnet are quite a trusted resource and the article seems pretty thorough.

Either way it doesn't make much difference to the current situation.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
Seriously now. The N900 is the Top of the range device for Nokia and they should be promoting more than any device (along with the N97mini if they are planning on keeping Symbian).

By announcing something like this, they are putting people off from buying it. It's like telling people who want to buy a new phone "sorry, don't buy N900. go get yourself an iphone or an HTC coz our next good device will become available in 6 months...!" WTF! This piece of news is going to affect nokia sales big time.

The Following User Says Thank You to troff76 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
The quote said Maemo is not upgradeable, not that N900 will not run it. I never expected it to be delivered OTA.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
FUD?

I mean, wtf, N900 will be reference device for MeeGo. How is this not 'upgrade-able'?
:P
N900 will be reference device for developers, not users. The Nokia comment is clearly about end-user software.

Go read http://meego.com/community/blogs/val...owards-day-one

Also, you are utterly insane if you think you can SSU your way to a different OS with different packaging. Which is what 'upgrade-able' usually means.
Will "Meego" (code name Harmattan) on Nokia's first Meego device use different packaging? We seem to have other information here: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=14

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
I already expected this. The N900 is my last Nokia. Why? Because next year if I buy a Nokia-Meego, after 4 months I do not want to risk having the same disappointment that I am having now. Well, but this is my opinion.

It is perfectly normal for a new phone every year, however, a new OS after releasing Maemo 5 just a few months ago, is sad.
----
Do not get me wrong, I love my N900, I want to spend at least 2 or 3 years with him. But if this is the rotation of the Nokia's OS (I hope not) I'll migrate to another platform. Of course, after taking all that my N900 can offer (and I know he has much to offer).

Last edited by mccarmo; 2010-03-15 at 11:11. Reason: corrections

The Following User Says Thank You to mccarmo For This Useful Post:

Tags
fud, troll!, troll76