Active Topics

Notices

Why did not one think to use espeak to read your new message with a long press of the camera button? Good idea bad idea?

Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
Why did not one think to use espeak to read your new message with a long press of the camera button? Good idea bad idea?
Good idea but we need a sexy women speaking to us.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by j-a-k View Post
Good idea but we need a sexy women speaking to us.
I'm fairly certain none of the Free/Open Source TTS systems will meet that specification. The most bearable female TTS voice I've seen that wasn't from a proprietary system was slt_arctic_hts, from Festival.

To the OP: Are you referring to new SMS/IM messages?

Originally Posted by jaem View Post
I'm fairly certain none of the Free/Open Source TTS systems will meet that specification. The most bearable female TTS voice I've seen that wasn't from a proprietary system was slt_arctic_hts, from Festival.

To the OP: Are you referring to new SMS/IM messages?
SMS/IM and possibly even email. It's not a bad idea.

I tried out espeak Time but I naturally press the button twice to unlock (habit) thus every time I was unlocking my phone it would spout off the time.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
Thank you! I didnt know how to get espeaktime to say the time, its not written anywhere (I could find!)

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Hi,
anything new on this topic?
I discovered espeak while using gtranslate.
is it possible to run espeakt from the terminal?

I would like to let read my new messages to me

dabozz

Here is a quick script to speak the time

#!/bin/sh

T="`date +"%H %M"`"
echo The time is $T
espeak "The time is $T"

You would need something that could read the database file in which phone records and IM/sms are kept. I know you can see them in glogarchive but I don't know how to get espeak to read a line in the database using the command line.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

I wrote simple script in perl to speak sms IM messages and time
(like espeaktime).
You could try this (attached file).
czech muttation is here http://mymaemo.cz/forum/index.php/topic,1234.0.html

Download it and run in term.
perl espeakxen.pl.txt

Dependencies
espeak
zenity

by root run
apt-get install espeak
apt-get install zenity

break is CTRL+c
Attached Files
File Type: txt espeakxen.pl.txt (2.9 KB, 172 views)

Last edited by Tailbone; 2010-08-12 at 19:02.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tailbone For This Useful Post:
Without invalidating the Perl script above which reads the message, wouldn't it be simpler just to type in the command for reading the message? Just open the X Terminal window and type

sqlite3 -csv $( ls $HOME/.rtcom-eventlogger/el*db -1t | head -n1 ) "SELECT free_text FROM Events WHERE service_id='3' ORDER BY start_time DESC;" | head -n1 | espeak

You do have to make sure espeak is installed. You can do it from the usual App Manager or, if you know how to gain root, run as root: "apt-get install espeak". (You don't need espeakmsg or espeaktime or whatever.)

Of course, typing that 166-character line above is not that convenient, so you can stick it in a two-line shell script file that says:

#!/bin/sh
sqlite3 -csv $( ls $HOME/.rtcom-eventlogger/el*db -1t | head -n1 ) "SELECT free_text FROM Events WHERE service_id='3' ORDER BY start_time DESC;" | head -n1 | espeak

If you name the file "ss", for example, then you just type "ss"[Enter] which is 3 characters.

You can also stick it in a widget on your N900 "desk"top, so you can just tap the icon to read the most recent sms message.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to C.Whiteham For This Useful Post: