Notices

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by PMaff View Post
Just found this one:
http://forums.internettablettalk.com....php?p=1053095

and
ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/repos/trunk_en-US/dists/fremantle/extras/binary-armel/
or
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o.../binary-armel/

As it is alpha version be aware that it might do strange things.

I will give it a try.

Edit:
also quite interesting:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o...al-maemo5-gtk/
Thanks. From time to time I have a look at the mozilla ftp server, but at least to me it's not clear what all the various maemo-like folders mean.

The "latest-beta" now only points to the 7.0 version, but previously (i.e. when I originally downloaded), it was 8.0b1 (which I still use).

There are millions of nightly/alpha versions, but at least to me it's not clear which is which and what differences there may be (even the "10a1" seems to change multiple times during one day, however maintaining the same name -- confusing!

Anyway, for all I care, 8.0b1 works fine, ergo I don't "need" a newer version.

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
Thanks. From time to time I have a look at the mozilla ftp server, but at least to me it's not clear what all the various maemo-like folders mean.

The "latest-beta" now only points to the 7.0 version, but previously (i.e. when I originally downloaded), it was 8.0b1 (which I still use).

There are millions of nightly/alpha versions, but at least to me it's not clear which is which and what differences there may be (even the "10a1" seems to change multiple times during one day, however maintaining the same name -- confusing!

Anyway, for all I care, 8.0b1 works fine, ergo I don't "need" a newer version.
tried fennec for the 1st time yesterday with fennec_10.0~a1_armel and found it painful. i havent got 8.0b1 to test so maybe a filehost is allowed for sharing ? alternatively i do have :
fennec_8.0_armel
fennec_8.0~a1_armel
fennec_9.0_armel
but after v10 really not sure which to test ! does anyone have experiences of these builds ?

The Following User Says Thank You to moepda For This Useful Post:
Well, it was a good run. Looks like mozilla have finally stopped producing nightlys for maemo fennec.

From what I can see, the last .deb ever produced is here

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o...ra-maemo5-gtk/

It's version 10.

When version 11 came out, the nightly would crash on startup, so I suppose rather than trying to figure it out, they just removed it from the build process.

The only hope would be for someone here who has a maemo sdk installed somewhere to see if they can build it from source, rather than relying on mozilla to build it.

Fennec is our only hope for playing html5 videos.

Here's how to build it for maemo

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Buil...07q3/Fremantle

Last edited by marbleuser; 2011-11-19 at 22:59.

Originally Posted by Dead1nside View Post
I more have my hopes up that someone is going to build on the recent work on browsersd, and upgrade the Gecko rendering engine used in MicroB, that would be really amazing.
100% agree - could not care less for Fennec. It's funny, cause on desktop, I'm happy Firefox user - but, mobile version was total fail from beginning to the end.

I keep it on my device (nightly builds), just to give it a chance, and see if they - at some point - can make something that could even *start* to be considered possible replacement for microB.

Fennec failed miserably, so:

Code:
apt-get purge fennec
// Edit

Code:
BloodRose:~# apt-get purge fennec
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  fennec*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
After this operation, 43,0MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
(Reading database ... 63009 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing fennec ...
dpkg: error processing fennec (--purge):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 fennec
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Damn You, fennec! They failed even on providing correct pre-removal scripts (possibly, post-removal too). Had to wipe out this crap manually... Someone got list of files to rm -r?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2011-11-19 at 23:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
100% agree - could not care less for Fennec. It's funny, cause on desktop, I'm happy Firefox user - but, mobile version was total fail from beginning to the end.

I keep it on my device (nightly builds), just to give it a chance, and see if they - at some point - can make something that could even *start* to be considered possible replacement for microB.

Fennec failed miserably, so:

Code:
apt-get purge fennec
Good luck playing html5 videos then.

Rebuilding microB using more recent gecko engines solve html5 problem. Still, I don't see why we should care, cause inside html5 You can still embed proprietary coded video, with no library to decode it (using HW acceleration) provided for our device. There is no such things as "html5 videos" (standalone).

So, basically, you're saying, that fennec is going to save us from getting hit with Battle Axe - by hitting us with Giant Mace.

/Estel

// Edit

Of course, if industry decide to use open standards - like Theora - embedded into their html5 websites, that's ok. Still, we can use it (theora) already, so html5 is again of no interest to us.

html5 is rather sh*t for sh*tty web-based applications, less for videos/media/etc. I.E, you will get more chances to have malware installed/proceed, cause html5 websites gain more permission to use Your crucial software/hardware components
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2011-11-19 at 23:08.

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
i am able to watch smooth webm and smooth ogv 360p html5 videos with fennec. google via youtube are throwing their weight behind webm.

As for rebuilding microb, this won't happen without breaking conversations or ovi maps with the voice guidance hack (which i love and use), so I can't see it happening.

So, apt-get purge it now, but you'll be back as soon as someone with an iphone laughs at you for not being able to watch a video.

Here's a better guide to building the QT version of fennec which is faster on Fremantle

http://developer.mikek.dk/#post50

Maybe we can do it ourselves instead of relying on mozilla.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marbleuser For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marbleuser View Post
As for rebuilding microb, this won't happen without breaking conversations or ovi maps with the voice guidance hack (which i love and use), so I can't see it happening.
Honestly, could not care less for ovi maps - we got plentora of other possibilities for maps, navigation (both tile based or vector based) and whatsnot.

Ho ever, I don't see reason why porting more recent gecko engine to microB shall break anything. It's transparent for other programs, thanks to recent work on re-writing browserd as open source (actually, this task was finished, not so long ago).

So, apt-get purge it now
I wish, but this sh*t is broken even at point of pre-removal scripts.

but you'll be back as soon as someone with an iphone laughs at you for not being able to watch a video.
If I would care about iPhone (users), I would probably not sit here To be honest again, browser-embeded videos are of little-to-none interest for me. I'm discussing here, from pure technological/practical point of view - just saw that someone is (again) spreading FUD about html5 being cure for current flash problems

Not to mention that it won't happen, cause I'm using Iceweasel (via Easy Debian) as browser, mostly. AFAIK, it incorporates same plentora of new features (of gadgets) as desktop Firefox. Here goes another (extremely) funny thing - Iceweasel (=debian version of desktop Firefox) is working better, than Fennec (crippled version of Firefox - using same engine as desktop, but with less features). Of course it require proper configuration of chroot, but...

IMO, any work on porting more recent Fennec's to Maemo is pure waste of time, when we have Open browserd available. It could be spend on porting actual version of Gecko engine to our beloved N900, which would be more profitable/sane/rationale.

but, of course, it's matter of freedom - if someone want to play with toys like fennec, why not. There always will be some who care (and use), and I'm not against it, by any means.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Last edited by Estel; 2011-11-20 at 01:22.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

Tags
goodbye nokia, winding down