So, I have actually ordered a N900, but to be honest, I am not sure what to expect. Right now I have the ADP1 and the Hero. I cant stand the lack of a qwerty keyboard on the Hero, and the ADP1, is... well the ADP1.

With the N900, I am hoping for a great linux based devices that lets me do what I want, which I am pretty sure I will be getting. However, I rely heavily on emails and I especially appreciate the push gmail experience I get with Android. I havent really seen many in depth feedback on the email features on the N900, so I was wondering if anyone could elaborate? Will I at least be able to get push (g)mail?

Kind Regards!

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
The ActiveSync protocol Google uses is still broken so no push mail at for now. The Mail for Exchange support is very buggy and only support Exchange Server 2007 and not 2003 or Google's protocol. There probably will be a software update to fix this.

The Following User Says Thank You to joppu For This Useful Post:
1. It's not possible to search your e-mail.
2. It's not possible to directly copy & paste from e-mails (although it's possible with a work-around).
3. No push e-mail for Gmail yet.
4. IIRC no threaded e-mail conversations (shrug). I love Google's way of grouping replies together one topic, it's very easy to reread all has been said about one e-mail topic. Instead of looking up eveyr individual e-mail reply in a long list.
5.No portrait mode for easy/quick viewing of e-mails.

If you need real good e-mail functions, I would recommend a Blackberry or Motorola Droid at the moment; and check back in 6 months to see if Maemo/3rd party apps have been improved for the N900.

Also check out this review about the N900's email functionality.

http://thenokiablog.com/2009/10/19/n...-review-email/

Basically the e-mail client is stuck in the 1990s. It's not very sophisticated.

Last edited by Holyshit; 2009-11-27 at 23:23.

you can push gmail using Nokia Messaging. You wont get contacts and calendar sync this way though.

Thanks for the speedy replies. I do find it curious that a device being promoted as a "mobile computer" doesnt provide a superb emailing experience..