Active Topics

Has anyone manage to actually find a proper way to add multiple contacts when sending a text message.

Example, I have 2 contacts, John Smith & Mary Smith

I typed in john, then Enter, then Mary on a new line, tap To for it to auto search. It found nothing.

If I just have john and tap To, it finds John Smith and allows me to select.
Box To now has John Smith and underlined it to show it's a contact -> John Smith

I type Space (as the contact-per-line doesn't seem to be the way), then mary then tap To, it found nothing, noticed John Smith is now part of the search -> 'John Smith mary' as John Smith is no longer underlined to show it's a contact

A little bit hard to explain, but if you try it you'll see what I mean.

My current workaround is to tap To and get a full list of contacts then manually select each one that way, very time consuming.

Last edited by Venomrush; 2009-11-27 at 12:00.

You can just select multiple contacts when you press the "to" button.

Typing them in manually works for me, my "to" field looks like this when i'm finished:
  • John, Mary

Are you separating the contacts with a comma?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ovek For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Ovek View Post
You can just select multiple contacts when you press the "to" button.

Typing them in manually works for me, my "to" field looks like this when i'm finished:
  • John, Mary

Are you separating the contacts with a comma?
Ok just tried putting in first names only follow by a comma then tap To, works!

found another annoying thing: when you go through your sent texts and you want to check what number it was sent to (for example when someone has two mobile numbers), there seems to be no way to get the details

similar thing in the phone call log. there seems to be no way to see the numbers. the call log is very basic and there's no additional one in the menu

i'm liking this phone, but Nokia seemed to have dumbed down a lot of features, which is against why i like Nokia in the first place. They always have loads of options for every phone feature.

very frustrating!

The Following User Says Thank You to huntr77 For This Useful Post:
oh well these little software isues will be fixed in time im sure - this is the beauty and potential of this device

The Following User Says Thank You to fusi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by Venomrush View Post
Has anyone manage to actually find a proper way to add multiple contacts when sending a text message.

Example, I have 2 contacts, John Smith & Mary Smith

I typed in john, then Enter, then Mary on a new line, tap To for it to auto search. It found nothing.

If I just have john and tap To, it finds John Smith and allows me to select.
Box To now has John Smith and underlined it to show it's a contact -> John Smith

I type Space (as the contact-per-line doesn't seem to be the way), then mary then tap To, it found nothing, noticed John Smith is now part of the search -> 'John Smith mary' as John Smith is no longer underlined to show it's a contact

A little bit hard to explain, but if you try it you'll see what I mean.

My current workaround is to tap To and get a full list of contacts then manually select each one that way, very time consuming.
@Venomrush,
there is a simple way to do this that I found out in S60 and seem to work fine here too:

1) Hit the 'To' button to bring up a list of contacts.
2) start typing to filter list for first contact
3) select contact to create a tick and include in list
4) DELETE the text you typed and start typing the SECOND contact
5) select the SECOND contact to show a tick next to them as well
6) continue adding contacts until done then return to main screen as before.

Hope that helps - bit odd until you think about it and then it makes sense! (Either that or I've lost more than I thought on the sanity scale!)

The Following User Says Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by huntr77 View Post
found another annoying thing: when you go through your sent texts and you want to check what number it was sent to (for example when someone has two mobile numbers), there seems to be no way to get the details

similar thing in the phone call log. there seems to be no way to see the numbers. the call log is very basic and there's no additional one in the menu
See http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33551 for more on this.

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by huntr77 View Post
True. Is there already an enhancement requests filed about it in bugs.maemo.org? If not, feel free to do so. :-)

Posts: 163 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Alabama
There are a couple things I dont like about the way it sends text to multiple people.

First, you have to choose the cell number for each person that has more than one number. I see why because you may send it to someones skype number, but if you have just a home and cell #, why not just default to the cell.

The other thing is that if you try to skip one while you are selecting numbers, it skips all the rest you selected.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by bdogg64 View Post
First, you have to choose the cell number for each person that has more than one number. I see why because you may send it to someones skype number, but if you have just a home and cell #, why not just default to the cell.
In theory, yes. But looking at other ppl's cell phones (nooo, I'm not curious), I find they usually dont give a damn about which is which. Depending on their models, they have a choice of entering a home/cell/office/.../ numer - and with many people, in the end everythings all mixed up because they dont see why they should care.

Also, some folks have their contacts imported from whatever system they keep them... and you know strange things can happen when you sync contacts.

So in the end, I'd always prefer having to do this one extra click for selecting the actual cell phone number over pseudo-intelligent applications that think a number is a cell phone only because it's listed as one.

Oh, and one more thing:
Until recently, the company I work for (a telco) offered text messaging for land lines, including a gateway to cell phone networks of course. Which meant you could in fact send a text message to any land line (as long as the owner paid for this service).