Hey folks,

now this happened to me also. I dropped the phone having plugged in the charger cable. Now, the pins are lose and the phone says, that the charger does not deliver enough power to charge the phone... I did some research on replacing the whole usb connector and now I'm pretty scared about doing that since I don't have any experience in soldering at all...

Originally Posted by TheoX View Post
Depends how the port was broken. If the PINS are broken, you can change it easily. If the port was broken and when it broke it affected the motherboard connectors (meaning 1, 2, 3 pins where the USB is mounted are broken) then only a new N9 will solve your problem.

Take it to a local service!
So is it possible to replace only the "inner thing" of the usb connector which includes the pins? Looking at a close up picture of the usb connector, I doubt that this is possible:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/ORIGINAL-Noki...p2054897.l4275

The Following User Says Thank You to meegofan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by meegofan View Post
So is it possible to replace only the "inner thing" of the usb connector which includes the pins?
No.

One word of advice. Do not take anything that TheoX posted seriously.

Your problem may be solvable even without replacing the USB port. The fact that the phone recognizes that it is plugged in gives a glimmer of hope. By the sound of it, only one, maybe two pins at most have lost contact. It may be possible to fix with a simple soldering iron. Don't quote me on that though, I have not seen it so I am only guessing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 196 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Near St. Albans UK
I've managed to damage a USB on a Nokia Bluetooth speaker recently and so dismantled.

having had it repaired I know that trying to re-solder it yourself is near impossible. the pins are so close together. you will most likely make a mess of it.

they actually use a heat gun to lift it off the board and the same to replace with a new one.

its only a 10 minute job.

if I was you I would remove 90% of the labour by stripping down the phone to mainboard only. I know you say some screws are stripped but also there are ways to get around that!

once you have the board out pop down to a local repair shop. there were several near me and quoted around £25 to do the job.

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways
now it happened to me either - first the N9 refused other power adapters than the original one (not enough power to charge) - since last night it only charges in upright position when the cable ist not fully plugged in the micro USB - so I think it's time to act!

Has anyone a good address in London (or near London - Bath/Bristol would be ok as well - as I'm usually there for the weekends) for fixing that (I'm here until end of Mai and don't have any tools with me to do it myself - even with the right tools I'm not sure ;-) ) - it's a N9 in nearly perfect condition so I think it's worth to spend a few bucks on it

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways
Really no one with a hint for a repair shop in London (or around) :-(

Originally Posted by elastic View Post
Really no one with a hint for a repair shop in London (or around) :-(
I managed to take the usb port off, but I'm unable to resolder it Even with a heat gun. I will take it this weekend to some shop here in Milton Keynes and see what they say.

The Following User Says Thank You to Flowcont For This Useful Post:
So, got it fixed by a shop in Hammersmith - for 25£ not really cheap but the best quote I got - works like a charm again (every charger works now - better than before the problems appeared) and the phone looks still like new - seems like the did a decent job