Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
@ Megaltariak they realised themselves and corrected it with the n9:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...1&postcount=14

Edit:
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Hmm, swap on rootfs and everything else on EMMC.... IIRC it was nolo who couldn't can't handle such a setup.
From the Maemo5 running 32GB eMMC root FS (scripts) thread

Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
You can't use UBIFS as swap or format it in any way. N900 bootloader (forget it's exact name) boots /sbin/preinit from UBIFS. Changing that requires bootloader modification and flashing it into MTD0 (or MTD1 - I don't remember for a moment).

Besides of that it has no big sense - swap functions in kernel use a big blocks for swapping, so there is no advantage in OneNAND UBIFS vs microSD. It is a little faster, of course, but it would be interesting to test Class 10 and see.

Last edited by mrsellout; 2012-06-15 at 11:32.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Didn't even know that they did that for the N9.

Now the problem is either hacking NOLO to boot on another storage device (would be really difficult because NOLO is closed source) or resize/create new partitions on the 256Mo chip (would be trivial with standard tools if it was recognized as a standard storage device like EMMC, but that is not the case if I recall correctly)

That's a huge offtopic, but…
It is not NOLO mounts ubifs and runs /sbin/preinit. It is KERNEL. And we can recompile it or use u-boot to change it's cmdline to mount /dev/mmcblk0p2 as /. So, NOLO doesn't needed to be changed.

Obviously, swap on UBIFS with compression is bad choice. But mtdswap or even swap on uncompressed UBIFS is interesting idea to try.
Anover idea is to optify some more libs and other stuff and use uncompressed UBIFS as rootfs.

@Megaltariak, partitions on NAND are either compiled in kernel or specified in it's cmdline.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to hxka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
New version (21.2011.38-1Tmaemo4-thumb7) is available, check the first post for changelog

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
i installed successful; tanx

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy, Lombardia
Originally Posted by Megaltariak View Post
I believe that choosing UBIFS instead of standard ext3 was a really bad decision from Nokia
UbiFS is a MUST for Nand.

Nand is a raw flash chip (MTD) and not a generic block device so we need a software layer which handles directly a MTD and implements: tracking NAND flash bad blocks and providing wear leveling.
UbiFs / JFFS2 / LogFS are this kind of software layer

eMMC or SD Card have a custom hardware chip which handles the flash chips, so they are generic block devices that can be formatted with Ext2/3/4 or other FS

Last edited by Fabry; 2012-06-15 at 19:13.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Fabry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 855 | Thanked: 612 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Germany
had to reflash after upgrade...

Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
You're missing my point, it is not about the writes at all, rootfs is much faster on writes, but that does not matter when we're talking about executable code . Is is all about the read operations, and there is where rootfs is not only slower, but consumes 90% CPU time to achieve that slowness. BTW the reason i choose 95MB file to do the read test was to get rid of cache/buffers/whatever effects on the speed.

Also have in mind that there is no performance penalty for doing random reads on flash (i.e. /opt) it is only write operations that are affected.

Nah, there is no such thing like compression chip, it is the standard ubifs de/compression and it uses CPU. I definitely say it is slower, as my test ( the "time cat" one) shows the maximum reading speed achieved when there is noone else using the CPU. Imagine what happens with that speed when there are several processes using the CPU.

The case is closed for me, expect a new update (hopefully today) which moves Qt back to /opt.
Sorry for corpospeak, but that clarifies, thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 863 | Thanked: 213 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Goa
wats difference between power kernel and this custom cssu kernel??

Did you try to read first post?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hxka For This Useful Post:

Tags
code size, dinosaurs, fmg ftw!, fmg.da.king, performance, thumb, thumb life