Posts: 290 | Thanked: 472 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Today I open MaemoSweden.org for public! (www.maemosweden.org, www.maemosverige.org)

A project I have been working on the last two weeks. It is a community built on Joomla and will try to be a place for Swedish users and developers for the Maemo/Mer platform. It is still a work in progress and I am adding content and functions as I get time.

Maemo.org is growing really fast and its really full of information now and its getting hard to follow threads thorughly with so much users and posts (probably some pre N900 release fever here also atm). That is where I hope MaemoSweden can be useful.. A not so intimidating place to ask questions about Maemo and in the Swedish language.

As I am a designer myself and not into any type of developing except some php/mysql I would like to ask you guys here what I can do to attract coders? What type of functions and content can help? I want it to be a resource even for advanced developers in the future.

My plan is to one day have a beginners-guide to developing (faq, video tutorials...) and a rich amount of helping developers in the forums. I have contacted a few swedish developers which seem very interested in helping in the forums. As I am starting to briefly look into developing myself (having enough problems getting the SDK to work atm) it is a great way for me to learn what beginners could see as useful. My plan is not to be a serious coder but to understand what it is about so its easier for me to contribute to those who are serious coders with gui and graphical elements, design/host app website...

I am also looking for a team behind MaemoSweden. A the moment there is only me that is really dedicated in the project. I am looking for people with intreset in blogging about mobiletech, maemo/mer, nokia and developing for mobileplattforms and also for administrators in the forums. If you know anyone (familiar with the swedish language) that you think would like this idea send him to the website and ask him/her to make contact.

on twitter: http://twitter.com/MaemoSverige (I've installed a nifty plugin for joomla that automatic post new blogarticles directly on twitter)
Attached Images

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to claesbas For This Useful Post:
Dcesign is really nice (color scheme, etc) but I'm somewhat surprised that there is a 'need' for a local maemosite for, in particularly, Swedes.
To me it seems like most Swedes have a better grasp of the English language than many Americans and that language barrier should not be an issue.

Anyway, looks great and good luck!

(Ah Gothenburg, where Victor Hasselblad designed the world's best camera)

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
Dcesign is really nice (color scheme, etc) but I'm somewhat surprised that there is a 'need' for a local maemosite for, in particularly, Swedes.
To me it seems like most Swedes have a better grasp of the English language than many Americans and that language barrier should not be an issue.

So? Why should the swedes communicate in english amongst themselves?

Originally Posted by olighak View Post
So? Why should the swedes communicate in english amongst themselves?
No 'problem' at all...my comment about language was simply a reference to "A not so intimidating place to ask questions about Maemo and in the Swedish language."

I read it as a language-related thing but maybe it wasn't.

Anyway, still good luck.

Last edited by Tintin; 2009-11-01 at 17:21.

Thank you, gray/black and a strong color looks great whatever you try .. Im not trying to feed a need but to make it easier for Swedes to find each other.. and help.. perhaps meet up.. We'll see what happens

Nice work dude!

Do you have anything against that I translate a bunch of Maemo/N900 news to Swedish and post it in the forums? The reason why I ask is because the most will be pure translations... but still very informative. Obviously I'll check spelling and grammar errors after translating.

BTW, Maemo Sweden should get a logo! Plz second this.

---EDIT---

Edit: Maybe I wasn't clear about this, but I meant the logo that's shown in the browser's tabs.

Edit2: Obviously I didn't mean to change the site's logo, which is nice as it is right now.

Last edited by c0rt3x; 2009-11-01 at 17:50.

Hade ingen aning att dar var sa manga svenskar (och utlands-svenskar) har.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tintin For This Useful Post:
Just a moment of slight irritation: why was this site created in first place? To make a not so intimidating place to ask questions about Maemo and in the Swedish language, right? Then why is the registration in English!?

"Confirm Your Email

Now, just confirm your email to activate your account."

or

"Activation Complete!

Your account has been successfully activated. You can now log in using the username and password you chose during the registration."

Just don't take this annotation too serious. The site is still great.

Last edited by c0rt3x; 2009-11-01 at 17:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to c0rt3x For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by c0rt3x View Post
BTW, Maemo Sweden should get a logo! Plz second this.
That's what I have tried to do there in the top you want to post a new one?

Nice work dude!

Do you have anything against that I translate a bunch of Maemo/N900 news to Swedish and post it in the forums? The reason why I ask is because the most will be pure translations... but still very informative. Obviously I'll check spelling and grammar errors after translating.
Please do!

Hade ingen aning att dar var sa manga svenskar (och utlands-svenskar) har.
Är du svensk Tintin?

Just a moment of slight irritation: why was this site created in first place? To make a not so intimidating place to ask questions about Maemo and in the Swedish language, right? Then why is the registration in English!?

"Confirm Your Email

Now, just confirm your email to activate your account."

or

"Activation Complete!

Your account has been successfully activated. You can now log in using the username and password you chose during the registration."

Just don't take this annotation too serious. The site is still great.
I installed a anti-spam plugin (reCaptcha) which takes over the registration process and it does not seem to use the Swedish language file I've added for it. I will fix that!

Tags
maemo sweden community