Hi everyone, please help me with your expertise of N900.

My phone fell from a file cabinet, when it lands, the back cover came out. When I try to turn back on my phone, the white light is on and I can feel a short vibrate like how it usually to be turn on.

HOWEVER, there is nothing on the screen. I can't see anything from the screen. Did I break the monitor? What should I do? I checked Nokia website and I can send it to Palco Cell Phone Repair to fix it for $80 or have Nokia fix it. Does anyone know how much Nokia will cost for repair? If you were me, what would you do? Should I just get a new phone? I only have this phone about 1.5 years. I like this phone..so I don't know what to do..please help!!!

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
Nokia most likely wouldn't repair your device, they'll replace your device with either N8 or E7.

Also with a device being dropped off from an unspecified height, anything could be damaged apart from just the screen. You might want to get a reliable electrician to inspect and repair damages (if they are repairable, that is). Even with the screen repaired, it has digitiser which may also need replacing if its damaged. It also depends on which side did it eventually land on, screen facing the ground? or backcover facing the ground?

For me, I would have long considered about getting a hard cover of somesort for N900 which I already have. I bought Otterbox communter case for my N900 which was an investment that has somewhat slowly paid itself in price. Apart from making N900 look ugly and even more bulky than what it originally was, I have accidentally dropped my N900 about 1 metre off the ground a few times with the Otterbox case and never had any serious issues with the device. Maybe you could consider buying that in the future too if your device is repaired or whatever.

Yes all Nokias are Finnish :P

You may want to check the ribbon at the back of the phone if you want to attempt a self repair.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tuxsavvy View Post
Nokia most likely wouldn't repair your device, they'll replace your device with either N8 or E7.

Also with a device being dropped off from an unspecified height, anything could be damaged apart from just the screen. You might want to get a reliable electrician to inspect and repair damages (if they are repairable, that is). Even with the screen repaired, it has digitiser which may also need replacing if its damaged. It also depends on which side did it eventually land on, screen facing the ground? or backcover facing the ground?

For me, I would have long considered about getting a hard cover of somesort for N900 which I already have. I bought Otterbox communter case for my N900 which was an investment that has somewhat slowly paid itself in price. Apart from making N900 look ugly and even more bulky than what it originally was, I have accidentally dropped my N900 about 1 metre off the ground a few times with the Otterbox case and never had any serious issues with the device. Maybe you could consider buying that in the future too if your device is repaired or whatever.
Thanks for your reply..

Replace with N8 or E7? Does that mean they will charge me the difference as a trade phone?

My N900 was screen facing the ground.. What do you mean by reliable technician? Do you mean to send it to BestBuy technician or something?

Thanks again

Originally Posted by Cue View Post
Yes all Nokias are Finnish :P

You may want to check the ribbon at the back of the phone if you want to attempt a self repair.
What ribbon at the back of the phone? Is self-repair possible? How?

Originally Posted by strayl View Post
Thanks for your reply..

Replace with N8 or E7? Does that mean they will charge me the difference as a trade phone?

My N900 was screen facing the ground.. What do you mean by reliable technician? Do you mean to send it to BestBuy technician or something?

Thanks again
No they won't charge you the difference, they'll give you an unboxed, without manuals, etc N8 or E7 as a substitute for N900 because they would deem your N900 is not repairable. You wouldn't be the first one to be offered N8 or E7 as many before you have had their N900 replaced by N8 or E7 because of various other faults.

Screen facing towards the ground would definitely damaged the screen and most likely digitiser. I do not know what BestBuy is like because I don't live in the stateside but you might want to get your device repaired by someone whom is actually qualified and wouldn't mind you watching them whilst fixing your device. N900 isn't as popular as iPhone but you wouldn't want the internals of your genuine N900 being swapped out for cheaper knock-off clones neither would you want the technician to do a poor job at fixing your beloved device.

No they won't charge you the difference, they'll give you an unboxed, without manuals, etc N8 or E7 as a substitute for N900 because they would deem your N900 is not repairable. You wouldn't be the first one to be offered N8 or E7 as many before you have had their N900 replaced by N8 or E7 because of various other faults.

Screen facing towards the ground would definitely damaged the screen and most likely digitiser. I do not know what BestBuy is like because I don't live in the stateside but you might want to get your device repaired by someone whom is actually qualified and wouldn't mind you watching them whilst fixing your device. N900 isn't as popular as iPhone but you wouldn't want the internals of your genuine N900 being swapped out for cheaper knock-off clones neither would you want the technician to do a poor job at fixing your beloved device.
Do you think it's worthy to switch to a N8 or E7? Besides, I have my phone over a year which means my warranty is over. Will Nokia still offer that to switch my N900 to a N8 or E7?

N900 is not a phone, its an internet tablet with phone functionality. There's are no other equivalent to N900 apart from the developer only N950 which is not publicly available, and poses its own set of restrictions.

N8 and E7 both runs symbian and there's numerous threads of hate with such devices when proud N900 owners got their devices replaced with either one of those. There is an alternative if you don't like the N8 or E7, that is to sell it and buy another second hand N900, though you may end up paying the differences.

I do not know if you'll be charged by Nokia should your device be out of warranty for them offering you N8 or E7. You may want to ask Nokia Care directly.

Last edited by tuxsavvy; 2011-09-24 at 07:19.

N900 is not a phone, its an internet tablet with phone functionality. There's are no other equivalent to N900 apart from the developer only N950 which is not publicly available, and poses its own set of restrictions.

N8 and E7 both runs symbian and there's numerous threads of hate with such devices when proud N900 owners got their devices replaced with either one of those. There is an alternative if you don't like the N8 or E7, that is to sell it and buy another second hand N900, though you may end up paying the differences.

I do not know if you'll be charged by Nokia should your device be out of warranty for them offering you N8 or E7. You may want to ask Nokia Care directly.
I know! That's why I love my N900 so much and trying to save it! I use it to substitute my laptop for school. But considering the time I have with this phone, I just don't want to spend to much money to fix it. I will call Nokia tomorrow. Thanks anyways!!

Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
My N900 is comming close to 2 years now and the jackstick stopped working. I checked the warranty on Nokias homepage and atleast here in Denmark it's 24 months. So I'm going to a repair shop Nokia recommended next week to see if they can fix it. I only use my N900 as a backup phone and for gimp and mypaint. Right now my main phone is in for repair and happely using this phone and have installed CSSU and loving the portrait mode. Anyway when i pick up my main phone i will give them my N900 and see what they an do about it (same place).

Regards Dousan...

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan