Posts: 129 | Thanked: 321 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Finland (Turku)
Elop hasn't even begun his job at Nokia, and already he's been blamed on not supporting N900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stonik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 327 | Thanked: 249 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Λεμεσιανός, ρε!
Originally Posted by Stonik View Post
Elop hasn't even begun his job at Nokia, and already he's been blamed on not supporting N900...
SERVES HIM RIGHT! He should have already retroactively gone back and corrected the whole "step 4 out of 5" thing to "this is the best end-consumer device evar11!!one! Especially for those who never use or care about Linux, don't like hacking and tinkering and who think that everything with a touchscreen should work just like the i-thingie! Oh, and everyone who bought it gets free cake!"

Intel surely wants to know ASAP what is now Nokia's future with Meego.

The worst case scenario would be Windows7 only. The second worst Android+Windows7. The best, only Meego+Qt.

Originally Posted by zimon View Post
Intel surely wants to know ASAP what is now Nokia's future with Meego.

The worst case scenario would be Windows7 only. The second worst Android+Windows7. The best, only Meego+Qt.
The Windows thing is quite unlikely. It has so little traction that even if a colossus the size of Nokia deployed it across all their non-featurephone lines, I would bet it is unlikely it will go anywhere. As I have stated before, anyway, I would question the sanity of any Nokia CEO that would get rid of Symbian from the mid-range devices as those still sell in the millions, more than every other competitor combined, nevermind the fact that it looks to be replacing S40.

As for Android, do any of you really think that Nokia will reduce itself to competing with non-name Chinese mass-market OEMs with an OS that still has miniscule marketshare in Nokia's traditionally strongest markets (ie non-USA)? Unlikely - nevermind the fact that they will be hostages to Google's whims at that point.

We will have to wait and see. I would predict reorganisations and changes in middle-management to reflect the new CEOs ideas... You could think of this the way lions treat a pride they just took over. Kill the cubs from the prior adult male and mate with all the lionesses to put their own DNA in the pride. I think that parallels what usually happens with CEO changes in many corporations rather nicely

The Following User Says Thank You to skalogre For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Small spark of hope that if this here new bloke decides to push for the North American market again there may be a posible opening for Texrat again.

Other than that, It won't affect us for a while - and by then meego will be an Intel project anyway.

Last edited by RevdKathy; 2010-09-10 at 18:31.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 118 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ California
Wow, my mouth is ajar. As much I've heard Nokia disliking how much Americans are "arrogant" and "too aggressive", this just shocks me to no end. An American, the CEO of the precious Finnish conglomerate is just amazing!! Was Nokia desperate in hiring an American....from Microsoft?? I hope this turns things around and makes Nokia the giant they should be.

I digress... He's Canadian. But he's not Finnish, he's North American. Still shocking...
Flash Memory: ADATA 32GB SDHC CL10-RA1
Overclocked to 1GHz [Titan's Kernel]
-----------------------------------
Other Device: T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1653766084.png

Last edited by scribbles; 2010-09-10 at 18:47.

Originally Posted by scribbles View Post
Wow, my mouth is ajar. As much I've heard Nokia disliking how much Americans are "arrogant" and "too aggressive", this just shocks me to no end. An American, the CEO of the precious Finnish conglomerate is just amazing!! Was Nokia desperate in hiring an American....from Microsoft?? I hope this turns things around and makes Nokia the giant they should be.
He is Canadian and he led a very successful division at Microsoft.

P.s. the world's largest mobile device manufacturer would probably already qualify as a "giant" I would speculate

P.p.s. his LinkedIn profile: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/stephen-elop/1/3a0/b31

Last edited by skalogre; 2010-09-10 at 18:39.

The Following User Says Thank You to skalogre For This Useful Post:
Posts: 118 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ California
Originally Posted by skalogre View Post
He is Canadian and he led a very successful division at Microsoft.

P.s. the world's largest mobile device manufacturer would probably already qualify as a "giant" I would speculate

P.p.s. his LinkedIn profile: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/stephen-elop/1/3a0/b31
Thanks, I just went back to find this out... I should probably rephrase and clarify giant as recognizable in North America. Nokia is a ghost town here. No footprint at all...
Flash Memory: ADATA 32GB SDHC CL10-RA1
Overclocked to 1GHz [Titan's Kernel]
-----------------------------------
Other Device: T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1653766084.png

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scribbles For This Useful Post:
You can count on a lot more Nokia deals with Microsoft. Not good news in my book.

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ UK/Scotland
I would rather the CEO from Vodafone resigned

Cantonese Pen Power Input is only available in Hong Kong...SUX!

The Following User Says Thank You to Ykho For This Useful Post:

Tags
fool me once, let downs, new ceo, nokia, stephen elop