Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Reading through the doc, I'm wondering exactly how much this is about the open-source MeeGo Reference Handset UX and how much it is about the Nokia closed-source MeeGo-Harmattan UX. This is because the doc refers to Ovi more than once, which obviously is a Nokia-only thing.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
These things stuck out for me.

Switcher
Tasks are shown in the order they were opened, from left to right. Every time a new task is opened, it pushes the previous task panels to the left and adds its thumbnail view to the far right.

Users can use a pinch multi-touch motion to change the switcher into an overview mode. By pinching in, thumbnails move into a grid display. The grid can scale up to a 3x3 version, thereafter the switcher then starts to create new pages. Pinching out, while in the grid mode, changes the view back to larger stacked mode.

Reminds me of N8's horizontal stack view for multi tasking minus the pinch to grid function. Not sure how I feel about swiping to get to the window i want. However if you can default this view to grid - then i like

UI Feedback
You can use tactile feedback alone, when it is appropriate to confirm the user’s action, but a visual confirmation message is too much. For example, connecting the charger and the device starting to charge (as opposed to not starting, due to a wrong charger type, for example). In this case, haptic feedback can also be used because the user is in physical contact with the charger connector and the device.

This is just great. Makes sense doesnt it? I'm also quite annoyed that a message tells me everytime I unplug my phone from the charger that I should pull it out of the wall to save power. Ok. I get it.

Text Input
MeeGo provides support to both virtual and hardware keyboards

Good. I need me a physical keyboard.

Gonna read through it later. I got the Google cached page saved as an HTML doc.

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Reading through the doc, I'm wondering exactly how much this is about the open-source MeeGo Reference Handset UX and how much it is about the Nokia closed-source MeeGo-Harmattan UX. This is because the doc refers to Ovi more than once, which obviously is a Nokia-only thing.
I think the most of the principles it describes are enabled by the UX framework and thus should be applicable to the reference implementation too. Ovi stuff is obviously Nokia only. Very Maemo-ish, as was expected. Extendable, IM presence, widget area, multitasking, etc. Nice to see global search added.

Page gone.. So much for transparency...

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Nokia have done some great stuff with open source - Qt, development tools and potenetially MeeGo - a new os for your computer/phone.

However, the secrecy sorrounding their developments is beginning to p*** me off!

The MeeGo UX is really exciting but there is very little information about it.

If Nokia are paranoid about how the competition is going to react then why open-source the developments?

To be honest I'm growing a bit skeptical about MeeGo.

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
If Nokia are paranoid about how the competition is going to react then why open-source the developments?
Well, open development process and open sourcing a piece of software once it's released, are two different things.

It seems Nokia is going for the latter mostly.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by gviterbo View Post
Why did they even title it "Bananas and Pears"?
The Bananas and Pears seem much better than that cherry we were served earlier, so I'm happy.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Text Input

MeeGo provides support to both virtual and hardware keyboards.

The virtual keyboard is invoked automatically when an input field is in focus (that is when the user taps an input field). The Title Bar and Status disappear to optimize screen real estate. It has a portrait and landscape layout, opening according to the orientation it is being called from. If the user rotates the device, the layout is smoothly changed according to the new orientation.
yay for portrait mode keyboard?

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
send me a PM if the google cache disappears, have the page saved as wiki entry and CC makes it last forever

http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?p=3951#post3951

Last edited by chemist; 2010-06-17 at 13:41.