Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Thank you!

I've checked, and this patch is actually in the "stable" branch of CSSU. I think maybe it should remain only in the "testing" branch, until it gets a little more loving -- in particular, some work to ensure that it doesn't fill up all the space in /opt, or for that matter, wherever it deposits the mail. (I'm not sure I'd be able to fit all the e-mail in my various folders onto my SD card, let alone the /opt directory...)
Agreed or there needs to be more user input on how/what folders are saved with a purge function that dumps message bodies from the on device storage after x amount of days.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nakia View Post
To answer post #1
I have installed it before, but I did before there was a stable version, reflashed the device a couple times since then and didn't bother to try for fear to break a dependable device..... thank you for reminding me of it... I am installing it again, I admit I have not looked at it close enough... will come back with impressions

Install backup menu first in the repos, preform a full backup (opt and root) first. This way if you do not want it you can restore your device without reflashing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
Well, I do care that updates don't break applications that are out there, since it is difficult to revert if things go wrong. I do agree that the rather poor support for promotions makes it difficult to get proper updates without having to go onto Extras Devel, but I'd rather there be a repositiory where we know something is stable so that we have something to fall back on.
I don't even think we can "trust" the extras repository.

Just look at libsdl-mixer1.2. The standard version is 1.2.6-5+0m5, on which a "core" package depends (osso-lmarbles).

But then you have 1.2.6-5+0m5+ogg+mp3 in EXTRAS (no testing, no devel). You can imagine what happens if you install that one.

At first, I also dont want to use CSSU because -ve thinking that it'll break something. But after reading so much about CSSU, I decide to update thru CSSU because I know that I can trust this community. Somemore, I know there's no support from Nokian anymore. So we must help and trust each other. Thanks to community and dev for your contribution For who, still not update to CSSU, its your choice but I think this in only way to keep our device alive...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xev For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
I don't even think we can "trust" the extras repository.

Just look at libsdl-mixer1.2. The standard version is 1.2.6-5+0m5, on which a "core" package depends (osso-lmarbles).

But then you have 1.2.6-5+0m5+ogg+mp3 in EXTRAS (no testing, no devel). You can imagine what happens if you install that one.
But wait, you can always downgrade, can't you?
I trust the community, and even use CSSU testing. I don't care transitions.ini gets corrupt as I can fix it very quickly.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by xev View Post
For who, still not update to CSSU, its your choice but I think this in only way to keep our device alive...
Oh ffs! Even if Nokia stops supporting the N900. Even if the whole maemo.org is shutdown forever. Even if the whole Internet is shutdown forever. That won't make your N900 stop working!

I have a Siemens ME45, a Nokia 6800, a Nokia E70 and a Nokia E75. All of them a beyond-unsupported. All of them work perfectly OK.

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Oh ffs! Even if Nokia stops supporting the N900. Even if the whole maemo.org is shutdown forever. Even if the whole Internet is shutdown forever. That won't make your N900 stop working!
Nope, you ain't right!!!
Elop will release a special update that will crash the system and tell you that you should buy a Windows phone!! (at last will flash Windows into Nokia N900 and remove the flasher from Nokia website)

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:

I have a Siemens ME45, a Nokia 6800, a Nokia E70 and a Nokia E75. All of them a beyond-unsupported. All of them work perfectly OK.
Agree on that. But, maybe it wont grow / 'alive' anymore. Just different things to different people.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xev For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Quite funny. I have the blue S45, and it's almost not working for long time despite being not abused. Reason? because of the usual shitty "keyboard" (better: rubber key mat + bad plastic key domes above that) Siemens liked to use. Same issue with the S35 and especially the SX1 (worst keyboard ever, not the unusual layout but the technology used)

Those phones you mentioned do not rely on repositories - if the firmware is installed, it's installed. All other stuff (SIS + SISX packages) for them could be stored locally easily in the same way as the firmware images.

So i would like to see you if you need to reinstall anything which is on the Nokia repos (blobs, closed stuff that's not in the firmware packages etc., like 'fremantle/tools' and 'fremantle/sdk') and we haven't cloned those / weren't allowed...

Last edited by don_falcone; 2012-01-19 at 17:29.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Oh ffs! Even if Nokia stops supporting the N900. ...That won't make your N900 stop working!
Nokia stopped supporting Maemo 5

working ≠ alive. I could install windows 3.1 and get it "working" but the platform would be far from alive.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post: