Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
Yeah...Lineage 15.1 and oreo 8.1 is what I'm running on another currently as well...it seems to run decently so far with no concerns for me...(HATE their bubble icons though...)

Glad you had fun with it Mosen
I sure had and will have with the install script!

On oreo i must admit the new font is really soothing the overall cluttered droid pain. quite nice.

Plasma guys could easily step up their ui game by finding a red line when it comes to icon and symbol design. I was quite shocked to see they still have that much room for improvement and yet fire some "its gorgeous" sample on boot/login.
I mean the always present 3 buttons on the bottom foremost fit no other ui element found through the system and look cheap and clunky on their own.
I am in no way a capable designer like gerbick but instantly get the feeling i could improve the ui with my limited abilities in inkscape.
I wouldn't even be that ranty and more forgiving about the PM design if they wouldn't call it gorgeous themselves.
Is that audio sample ment as satirical cry for help and i fail to get it?

As you said, the features of PM are impressive and i hate to spit into their fine soup but it did not meet my standard of gorgeous even remotely.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
-CrippleOS ...oh sorry ....I mean SailfishOS ...that is downright proprietary and is further from Linux than even droid (the ugly step cousin)...
SailfishOS has less proprietary parts than Maemo. Just saying.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
no desire to touch nerves of sfos users here...
perhaps you are right..perhaps it is more open than droid...
My bias for maemo may color my sight on the issue...
I thought about that a bit why many maemonians detest SailfishOS on the basis that it has proprietary parts. Yet turn a blind eye on the fact that maemo has lots more of it.

I came to the theory that the reasons are historical. Back when maemo came around, such level of basing a mobile product on open source software was unprecedented. Things are not the same today, while SailfishOS is more open source than maemo, it is not amazingly open source compared to the rest of the mobile field.

So taken the time maemo and SailfishOS arrived, you could argue that maemo was more open source compared to the playing field back then than SailfishOS is compared to today's playing field.

It's a bit unfair, but understandable psychological reaction.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
SailfishOS has less proprietary parts than Maemo. Just saying.
Either I missed the news that Sailfish opened up their GUI and Silica components, or perhaps you missed the news that Maemo is on its way to version 7. The only proprietary parts in Maemo 7 are those which are unavoidable (SGX drivers, WiFi/Bluetooth firmware).

EDIT: Even Fremantle was arguably less proprietary than Sailfish in the places where it matters. If you wrote an app for Fremantle, in whatever framework, it would be mostly portable. If you write a Sailfish app, it will run wherever Silica components can run.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Last edited by wicket; 2018-06-02 at 19:26.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Well my view on Red Snapper OS (which would be the coolest name ever for the russian sfos) will be the same as on Red Star OS.

If i ever plan to hack in to Kwangmyong, Red Star Os will sure be my first choice on a dedicated laptop i burn or dip into nitric acid afterwards.

If i ever plan to become a russian postman i will sure embrace my Red Snapper OS POS to shift pension money directly to all russian grannys doorsteps with ease.
For my personal use, i will continue to rely on vanilla Fedora without Kim Young Un enhancements and am sure my sfosx maintained in finland will not force me into using VK or ask for FSB influenced privacy policy update anytime soon.

It is in best interest of jolla to not taint vanilla sfos in light of offering it to all parties. What do you think would the chinese or even bolivian say if Jolla would hide Red Snapper bits behind their backs?

Wahh, talking of red snapper bits made me hungry.

Last edited by mosen; 2018-06-02 at 03:53. Reason: changed wikipedia links from de to en

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
Either I missed the news that Sailfish opened up their GUI and Silica components, or perhaps you missed the news that Maemo is on its way to version 7. The only proprietary parts in Maemo 7 are those which are unavoidable (SGX drivers, WiFi/Bluetooth firmware).
It seems rather unfair to compare an OS that's currently being sold on and for new devices to a community effort that got rid of the proprietary parts (because you can't develop those any further) of an OS for which development stopped seven years ago. Obviously, ajalkane was not talking about the latter, but about Maemo when it was still being developed by Nokia, before the community took over and made it better. If you want to compare Maemo 7 to anything, it should be Nemo Mobile. Hey, it doesn't have any proprietary parts!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
It seems rather unfair to compare an OS that's currently being sold on and for new devices to a community effort that got rid of the proprietary parts (because you can't develop those any further) of an OS for which development stopped seven years ago. Obviously, ajalkane was not talking about the latter, but about Maemo when it was still being developed by Nokia, before the community took over and made it better. If you want to compare Maemo 7 to anything, it should be Nemo Mobile. Hey, it doesn't have any proprietary parts!
I'm not trying to start a debate on which OS is more open. It sounded to me like ajalkane wasn't 100% aware of the latest Maemo developments which is why I posted. endsormeans mentioned several times in this thread his intention to run Maemo Leste on his Nexus 5 (no mention of Fremantle), so fair comparison or not, to me it seemed to be the most relevant one.

I think you'll find that Nemo Mobile uses the same proprietary parts that Maemo Leste uses on similar devices. Here you can find the SGX blobs:

https://github.com/nemomobile/ti-omap3-sgx

I wasn't able to find the Intel Wi-Fi firmware on Nemo Mobile's GitHub but I assume they are using this too, otherwise I'd love to know how they got it working on devices like the N900, N9 and N950.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Last edited by wicket; 2018-06-02 at 17:34.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Albuquerque, NM, USA
I tried Plasma Mobile on my Nexus 4. I just followed the Halium docs. Compiling Halium took a long time and chewed up most of my the space on my SSD, but it was otherwise painless to build and install.

I couldn't get voice calls or mobile data to work. There wasn't even any mention of modem in Halium's porting docs. I tried asking around on IRC in #halium and in #plasma, but no one responded. Is modem working properly on Nexus 5? It didn't appear to be in the screenshots I've seen.

I had to manually enable the wifi on every boot by using some arcane command.

Launching the camera program caused the whole thing to reboot.

Being able to apt-get whatever the heck you want from the ubuntu repos is pretty cool, but there are some issues with XWayland. For example, some GTK programs displayed only in tiny windows in the corner of the screen.

XWayland didn't seem to know when the on-screen keyboard was being displayed, and clicking the enter key would also activate the close-program button.

Chromium and Firefox were pre-installed in the pm-rootfs tarball. Chromium worked okay (except for the above-mentioned keyboard issue), but FF consistently crashed on launch.

Rotation wasn't working, but IIRC, it seemed like I was getting good data from the sensors.

apt-get upgrade caused the device to boot loop.

Last edited by preflex; 2018-06-03 at 17:16.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to preflex For This Useful Post:
Now that I've read the whole thread , it seems like your modem isn't working either. I suspect nobody's modem is working.

Bummer. Sadly, a phone without a modem is digital chindogu.

EDIT: There's some possibly-relevant stuff about modem on PostmarketOS here, but PMOS doesn't use hybris or halium, so maybe not: https://github.com/postmarketOS/pmbootstrap/issues/1054

Last edited by preflex; 2018-06-03 at 17:36.

I rely on my Nexus 4 for communication, as well as my only internet connection. I've done some hacking on it in coffee shops so I could still get on IRC to ask around, but I can't do that all the time. Furthermore, halium doesn't support MultiROM.

For me, no modem is a no-go.