that he regretted buying the Android after seeing my N900.

He's on T-Mobile as well so even moreso. Course I explained to him in detail all the shortcomings of the N900, with the phone, lack of MMS, lack of T9, portrait typing etc.. but in the same breath explained that there are already apps that are resolving these issues. I also told him my kernel was overclocked and my N900 modded relatively heavily. He was amazed at the speed and responsiveness.

He was showing me how his "multi-tasking" worked by dropping down the menu which was slow, and navigating around the phone which was also sluggish and sometimes unresponsive. I admitted the N900 cut its teeth the same way and if it wasn't for the community, the N900 would still be sluggish and unresponsive.

I also warned him that we don't have a single fart-app. After demo'ing it for a while I finally got to the "hammer it home" part of the conversation where I then proceeded to do the "Oh yeah, it's also got a front camera, gps, an FM transmitter, FM receiver and it can also use VGA cables so you can watch everything on your t.v."

Grass is greener syndrome runs rampant on these forums, but the reality is, the N900 is leaps and bounds above the competition out there. My wife owns an iPhone 3GS but I didn't really realize it until I saw an Android up close and the owner talking about it.

All I have to do now is find an HTC owner.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Laughingstok For This Useful Post:
Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
Originally Posted by Laughingstok View Post
that he regretted buying the Android after seeing my N900.

He's on T-Mobile as well so even moreso. Course I explained to him in detail all the shortcomings of the N900, with the phone, lack of MMS, lack of T9, portrait typing etc.. but in the same breath explained that there are already apps that are resolving these issues. I also told him my kernel was overclocked and my N900 modded relatively heavily. He was amazed at the speed and responsiveness.

He was showing me how his "multi-tasking" worked by dropping down the menu which was slow, and navigating around the phone which was also sluggish and sometimes unresponsive. I admitted the N900 cut its teeth the same way and if it wasn't for the community, the N900 would still be sluggish and unresponsive.

I also warned him that we don't have a single fart-app. After demo'ing it for a while I finally got to the "hammer it home" part of the conversation where I then proceeded to do the "Oh yeah, it's also got a front camera, gps, an FM transmitter, FM receiver and it can also use VGA cables so you can watch everything on your t.v."

Grass is greener syndrome runs rampant on these forums, but the reality is, the N900 is leaps and bounds above the competition out there. My wife owns an iPhone 3GS but I didn't really realize it until I saw an Android up close and the owner talking about it.

All I have to do now is find an HTC owner.
My guess is that he had a last gen Android phone... what model did he have? I have used both my n900 and a Nexus One quite a bit, and I enjoy both of them. They both have strong points, and they are both quite responsive.

Soon enough we'll be able to dual boot Maemo/Android (triple with Meego??). Then you can switch it up as you fancy day-to-day.

EDIT: also, how did you demo the front camera?

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ canada
"Lack of T9" ? This is a shortcoming?

I have a Nexus One which I don't like as much as my N900.

I prefer the resistive screen, I prefer the hardware keyboard. The N900 has a sharper screen, and better apps

And stereo speakers.

The Nexus One integrates better with Google services, which would be nice to have on the N900, and it feels like the battery lasts a bit longer.

But overall I like the N900 much better.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to memoryguy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Sounds like my htc G1...
I've heard that all subsequent android devices after that are considerably faster (minimum 2x RAM of G1) and handles better. The only saving grace of the G1 is that it has a half decent keyboard...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Okay so I just asked him about the model. It's a "My Touch 36 3.5" running the android 1.6 "cupcake"

So I guess it's not a true "Android" then? Maybe that was why it's sluggish.

Also, I told him about the front facing camera (which is used in PR1.2 btw), I did not demo any of the hardware items to him outside of the back camera. Just explained them to him.

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
What device was that? and which version of Android? if it was 1.6 then yes there are a lot of problems but 2.1 is not that bad

Also yea we know that N900 hardware rocks but you failed to tell him the truth

1. Front camera doesn't do anything

2. GPS? only use is for geotagging , no Turn by turn navigation

3. VGA ? its from 90's later this year mini HDMI devices will blow away crappy analog devices like N900

Its really sad that N900 has such great potential and powerful hardware
but its not utilized properly...

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post
What device was that? and which version of Android? if it was 1.6 then yes there are a lot of problems but 2.1 is not that bad

Also yea we know that N900 hardware rocks but you failed to tell him the truth

1. Front camera doesn't do anything

2. GPS? only use is for geotagging , no Turn by turn navigation

3. VGA ? its from 90's later this year mini HDMI devices will blow away crappy analog devices like N900

Its really sad that N900 has such great potential and powerful hardware
but its not utilized properly...
1. Front camera doesn't do anything - Does in PR1.2. Works with Skype and Google Talk

2. GPS? only use is for geotagging , no Turn by turn navigation - GPS is GPS. Turn by turn navigation is an application that uses gps in order to get directions. I use the GPS all the time when I go running to mark my path, distance and speed. I did not misinform him of anything.

3. VGA ? its from 90's later this year mini HDMI devices will blow away crappy analog devices like N900 - Maybe true, but no other phone does it currently without special hardware that I've seen.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laughingstok For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by Laughingstok View Post
1. Front camera doesn't do anything - Does in PR1.2. Works with Skype and Google Talk

2. GPS? only use is for geotagging , no Turn by turn navigation - GPS is GPS. Turn by turn navigation is an application that uses gps in order to get directions. I use the GPS all the time when I go running to mark my path, distance and speed. I did not misinform him of anything.

3. VGA ? its from 90's later this year mini HDMI devices will blow away crappy analog devices like N900 - Maybe true, but no other phone does it currently without special hardware that I've seen.
Oh really?

1. PR 1.2 is not out yet so you cant tell him that it works, its like if he told you about some functions from Android 2.2

2. You are right Turn by Turn is used in Maps app but still main point of having a GPS in my opinion is to use it for navigation as regular Garmin etc do

3. what do you mean by special hardware? N900 has some mega ultra super not special hardware to use VGA -> TV function?

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by memoryguy View Post
The N900 has a sharper screen...
I was comparing the N1 and the N900 earlier this week. The Nexus has a clearly lower resolution screen, but wow, it has great contrast and colour. It really makes a good impression when you see it, and the N900's screen, even when cranked to highest brightness (which it isn't by default), doesn't "jump out at you" like the Nexus' screen does.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post
Oh really?

1. PR 1.2 is not out yet so you cant tell him that it works, its like if he told you about some functions from Android 2.2

2. You are right Turn by Turn is used in Maps app but still main point of having a GPS in my opinion is to use it for navigation as regular Garmin etc do

3. what do you mean by special hardware? N900 has some mega ultra super not special hardware to use VGA -> TV function?
The front camera does work. Just have to write an app to use it. I told him about the hardware in the N900, not the apps that take advantage of them. Literally how I put it in the original post. The N900 does have the hardware. I just realized I forgot to mention the infrared.

GPS is global positioning system. What you do with it varies as much as a persons creativity. I also use it when I go hiking, geocaching and Jeeping out in the middle of nowhere. It's also great for camping, walking around a town you don't know, etc.

By "special hardware" I mean accessories required in order to do what the N900 does out of the box. If you want to hook your iPhone to your television to watch whats on it's screen, you have to go purchase accessories for it. If that clears it up.

So again, you claiming I mislead someone is at least wrong, at most insulting.