Notices

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo
Lardman, any hint when you would have a version in Extras-testing?

Personally I am not so confident to enable Extras-Devel (N900 is now my main device ), but reading your current feature set, I would be interesed to test out the app in it's current state (once you have got rid of the compiler warnings of course ).
For my use-cases, the look-up stuff can wait (getting the device to decode is a minimum feature set of what I need currently)

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 498 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Poland
Oh my, this actually works, a bit quirky, but works! However, nothing happens after the scan, it's just "Doing EAN13 lookup" and it sits there. I assume some parts are not implemented yet? Otherwise great job

However, nothing happens after the scan, it's just "Doing EAN13 lookup" and it sits there. I assume some parts are not implemented yet?
The web scraper is not very good.

Am currently thinking of just using mbarcode to do the decoding and then send out a message to interested apps so they can handle the 1D data as they see fit.

Lardman, any hint when you would have a version in Extras-testing?
I want to add the osso/dbus outputs (this evening), then I'll see about pushing it to extras-testing for people to play with.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Tomaszd View Post
Oh my, this actually works, a bit quirky, but works! However, nothing happens after the scan, it's just "Doing EAN13 lookup" and it sits there. I assume some parts are not implemented yet? Otherwise great job
Try electronics stuff. It identified my WRT54G just fine. Most of the other things it failed (focusing on shiny barcodes also proved to be a challenge), and it tried to convince me a Coke can is a Konica Minolta Color camera or sorts

lol

Well the webscraper uses Amazon atm, and you probably can't buy Coke there, so I've no clue how that happened.

I think I'll spin the webscraping stuff off into a Python app anyway (with a db, etc., to store your CDs/DVDs/books) and then mbarcode can be called by that (and any other) app(s) to just provide raw barcode info.

You should also all try scanning some 2D barcodes....

Google search for "QR code"

Posts: 245 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ CT USA
i was trying to get an update this morning and downloads fine but it stops right after the start of installing an update and give an error message update fail

There is an issue with a library that mbarcode depends on. I think no-one even tried installing this before releasing to the repositories.

What's the library in question and problem?

I just re-released zbar with various bindings enabled (and altered the name to match the strange Debian naming scheme to save me work) so there might be a problem there, please let me know.

OTOH It's not caused by the general extras-devel problems is it?

It was some kind of a fluke, I purged the package and its deps (there was a problem with libzbar0 wanting to overwrite something), installed it again via terminal and no errors this time.

Yeah, libzbar0 wants to overwrite a file in zbar, sorry about that, I guess there's some way to alter the control file to say that the two are incompatible.

So to re-iterate, please un-install zbar before you try updating mbarcode (and libzbar0).

Sorry!

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:

Tags
barcode, camera, mbarcode