Active Topics

I've found that unless I deliberately switch off the n800 the battery seems to go in just a few hours. This is with the unit sitting alone, without me using it. The screen has switched itself off, BT & Wireless are on, but not active AFAIK. Any advice?

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
Originally Posted by axzr View Post
I've found that unless I deliberately switch off the n800 the battery seems to go in just a few hours. This is with the unit sitting alone, without me using it. The screen has switched itself off, BT & Wireless are on, but not active AFAIK. Any advice?
First off, if you leave wireless/BT on and connected you will limit your battery life to 8-10 hours, period. If you're not using them just go to offline mode and you can get quite a bit more life. If that's a hassle you can always set your wireless timeout period to be shorter (10 minutes maybe) and your search interval to be never under the control panel/connectivity options. That way it will reconnect when you use it without asking you. It's either this kind of stuff or get used to plugging it into the charger. Finally, if you're using ad-hoc connections (as opposed to using a router) for wi-fi it will drain your battery easily in a couple hours. For whatever reason (a bug?) this runs the wi-fi interface continuously without ever powering down. Lots of power, no battery life.

HTH,
Larry

I've set my wireless router to power down after 11pm, and the n800 to never search automatically. As a result the wireless powers down overnight at the very least, and I usually get 3-5 days in standby with occasional use. As the previous poster mentions, you can achieve similar results with just settings in the n800. I've got blue-tooth turned off though, so maybe that helps.

Thanks, I've changed my WiFi settings and battery life is much improved

I was hoping this might be better with the new v3.2007.10-7 OS but it doesn't seem much improved.
I guess it is to be expected but I was hoping for magic!