Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
penguinbait's Avatar
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,493 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
#1
DISABLE VIRTUAL MEMORY IN CONTROL PANEL BEFORE ATTEMPTING CLONING OR PARTITIONING

UPDATE
Because of several people requesting an EASY nothing way to clone your system. I have created a new set of menus called pbeasy
UPDATE


pbeasy contains 4 options.

1) Partition, select a disk and partition it, the system will reboot

2) Clone, After you partition run this to clone the flash OS image to the new partition you created. Bootmenu will be installed and system will reboot. Partition will be formatted as ext3

3)Upgrade, to the latest version of bootmenu (for future releases of bootmenu)

4)Bootmenu, This Just installs bootmenu, scans and puts all ext2/3 partitions in bootmenu

You can still run pb for an advanced set of tools
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




I have put together a set of scripts with gui menus to clone and backup/restore Flash and SD partitions. (Note I have only tested this on 2008 Firmware 43-7 on an 810, please report any issues)


There were several changes in output of command line tools in 43-7 which I had to fix and rewrite. I have not goneback and tested in versions prior to 43-7 and I am unsure in it will work in lower versions. It should but somethings may fail due to scripting errors.

Clone
Allows you to clone from SD/Flash/USB Disk to SD/Flash/USB Disk

Remove
Allows you to mount another bootable partition and remove installed packages via dpkg. Great for recovery after installing something you shouldn't have. Not to be used lightly

Bootmenu
  • Install
    Allows you to pick from a list of ext2/ext3 partitions (flash is always in bootlist), and allows you to set timeout from 0-60 seconds
  • Upgrade
    Downloads initfs_flasher.tgz from Fanoush website and extracts it for use. Hopefully this will save me work when the next version comes out.
    (worked great)
  • Boot
    Set default boot device
  • FSCK-ON
    Enable Filesystem checking when you boot to flash and play a wav when complete (will fsck all ext2/3 partitions) (DEFAULT IS DISABLED)
  • FSCK-OFF
    Disable Filesystem checking when you boot to flash (if you have enabled it)



Backup

Allows you to backup from SD/Flash/USB Disk to SD/Flash/USB Disk
Full and Incremental backups are supported as well as bz2 compression (compression is slow, takes about 20x longer. If backup takes 1 minute without compression it will take 20 minutes with compression)
Currently only backups to ext2 or ext3 partitions are supported. I will be adding support for simple backup to FAT partition in the future.

Restore
Allows you to restore from SD/Flash/USB Disk to SD/Flash/USB Disk. Allows for restoring multiple archives at once, so you can select to restore full and any number of incremental backups.

Swap
Select partition to enable swap on, and select which swap device to use.
(If booting from mmcblk0 I put swap on mmcblk1 and vice verse)

USB

Toggle USB support HOST/OTG and Check its status



I will not be updating install-tools, bootmenu-installer or mgmt-tools any longer. install-tools will not be updated to support 43-7. mgmt-tools in theory should work if you update initfs flasher from the menu. I have not tested it. I am only supporting console-tools from here on out.



CLICK > Console-Tools Version 1 Download < HERE


or

CLICK > Console-Tools Version 1 Download < HERE


Takes 9MB installed, 7MB downloaded.

This installs also: fdisk - parted - cfdisk - wget - tar - bzip2 - e2fsprogs, so the 9MB is not that bad.


To run open xterm and type:

pb <enter>

Thats it open xterm, type "pb" and hit enter

[B][U]


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
OR
To run open xterm and type:

pbeasy <enter>

Thats it open xterm, type "pbeasy" and hit enter

[B][U]


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------


NOTE: You can adjust the font in xterm with the zoom + - keys
You should adjust the font on the main menu and avoid changing the font while operations are in progress. You should also try to avoid changing from full screen to windowed while operations are in progress


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is version 1, and there will be some updates and some cleanup. The new SSU caused me to rush to get this done. Its all working good, please report any problems. Have fun!!!!!!!!!!

NOTE: I have been debugging this for two days and I think I have all the functionality working. PLEASE report any and all repeatable problems I try to test the software as much as possible, but you may find oddities, badly worded menus. I will do some howto's and some menu updates soon. I have been working non-stop since I saw SSU update to finish console-tools. The decision to not update install-tools was made because There was 4 versions install-tools install-tools-N810 and install-tools-ad and bootmenu-installer. This was 4 debs I had to update each time new nokia version is published.

More to come...


Understanding Disk Devices

There are internal (mmcblk0) and external (mmcblk1)

The Internal SD slot (mmcblk0) is located on the file system at /dev/mmcblk0

The Extermal SD slot (mmcblk1) is located on the file system at /dev/mmcblk1

These represent the entire physical device. /dev/mmcblk1 is the whole SD card. If you wanted to partition the cards from a command line, you would run fdisk or cfdisk and pass to it the physical device you wish to partition.

For example:
fdisk /dev/mmcblk0
or
cfdisk /dev/mmcblk1

In order to Clone your flash to a SD slot you need to partition your SD card. These partitions are also located on the file system and are represented as:

/dev/mmcblk0p1 (First Partition on Internal Memory/SD)
/dev/mmcblk1p1 (First Partition on External Memory/SD)
/dev/mmcblk1p3 (Third Partition on External Memory/SD)
/dev/mmcblk1p4 (Fourth Partition on Extermal Memory/SD)
/dev/mmcblk0p2 (Second Partition on Internal Memory/SD)

Partition Allocations and rules:

As a General rule you will want to make partition 1 on both Internal and External a FAT partition. FAT (File Allocation Table) is the partition type used by Microsoft Windows. These partitions /dev/mmcblk0p1 and /dev/mmcblk1p1 are the internal partitions that are shared to a host system when you plug in the USB cable.

When you are creating filesystems for cloning you will create them as Linux partitions, and format them as either ext2 or ext3. I have been using ext3 for a while now without issue and I highly recommend it. Ext2 support is included though. Ext3 is a journaled file system and it will recover cleanly after a crash without needing fsck (file system check) run. If you choose ext2 you will need to run fsck on a file system after any crashes. There is an option under bootmenu menu to enable fsck on boot to flash, it can only enabled while booted to flash. This will check all filesystems when you boot to flash, it will play a wav when complete, it leaves fsck output in /tmp/fsck.txt

Swap partitions, you can use swap partitions or use Virtual Memory in control panel. I prefer partitions. I personally use swap partitions. I have my partitions booting off internal memory using a swap partition on external memory. I have my partitions booting off External memory using a swap partition on internal memory.

Please look at the following information pertaining to bugs and usage.
>> NEWBIE FAQ <<
Provided by Eladon
__________________
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2009-02-28 at 16:53.
 

The Following 75 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Austria
#2
Haven't tested it yet but looks great. pb-allin1+extras
 
Posts: 302 | Thanked: 254 times | Joined on Oct 2007
#3
First off I had to make xterm font smaller (to fit the console-tools' ncurses screen) to make it start, otherwise I'd get "ESC pressed" error and it'd quit. (N800 here)

Next I had a quick look around the new menus. I half-expected there to be, for instance, preset options for cloning system to SD (2GB/4GB/8GB etc), but it appears that at least at this stage that means manually creating new partitions to "target" and figuring out how to move the "source" over. Some HOWTOs would be useful indeed.

I also tried the REMOVE packages option. I had an internal SD with recent system which fails (reboot loop) soon after booting to desktop, but the menu found only the booted flash partition.

I'd also suggest that you start using version names (eg. console-tools_v0.95.deb or somesuch) and perhaps even get the package to Maemo Extras or another repo for easy updating while letting them worry about download traffic.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to Peet For This Useful Post:
penguinbait's Avatar
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,493 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
#4
Originally Posted by Peet View Post
First off I had to make xterm font smaller (to fit the console-tools' ncurses screen) to make it start, otherwise I'd get "ESC pressed" error and it'd quit. (N800 here)

Next I had a quick look around the new menus. I half-expected there to be, for instance, preset options for cloning system to SD (2GB/4GB/8GB etc), but it appears that at least at this stage that means manually creating new partitions to "target" and figuring out how to move the "source" over. Some HOWTOs would be useful indeed.

I also tried the REMOVE packages option. I had an internal SD with recent system which fails (reboot loop) soon after booting to desktop, but the menu found only the booted flash partition.

I'd also suggest that you start using version names (eg. console-tools_v0.95.deb or somesuch) and perhaps even get the package to Maemo Extras or another repo for easy updating while letting them worry about download traffic.
As for the HOWTO's, like I said, more to come. Used fdisk or cfdisk to create the partitions, use the clone menu to clone the newly created partitions.

When pb starts it scans for new partitions and any ext2 ext3 partitions should show up to be able to remove software?

As for the repos and naming, well, maybe some day. There is just not enough hours in the day..
__________________
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2007
#5
HI! Thanks for your programs
Tried to install on an N800 with almost new 43-7 (+ openssh, mc, python); got the error:


/usr/bin/dpkg-deb -f '/home/user/MyDocs/.documents/console-tools.deb'
/usr/bin/dpkg --install '/home/user/MyDocs/.documents/console-tools.deb'
Selecting previously deselected package console-tools.
(Reading database ... 16923 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking console-tools (from .../.documents/console-tools.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/console-tools.deb (--install):
trying to overwrite `/usr/share/terminfo/x/xterm', which is also in package terminfo-base
Errors were encountered while processing:
/home/user/MyDocs/.documents/console-tools.deb

Last edited by Dimm; 2008-12-20 at 23:45.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to Dimm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 9 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ New Mexico, USA
#6
Help pb!

I have tried to install the console tools, but get a message: "Unable to install console-tools".

I am using a N800 with OS cloned to SD. I tried installing it there and got the error message. I then read the installation details and saw that about 9MB is required, but I have about 4.3GB available. Next I tried booting to Flash and installing there, but got the same message. I have about 53MB free in Flash.

Also, when I tried to download from the first source (penguinbait.com) It displayed a garbled text file. But the second source worked fine.

Any suggestions?

ps I am using release 43.7 in both Flash and cloned OS.

Last edited by SilverHound; 2008-12-21 at 00:13. Reason: forgot to mention release version
 
penguinbait's Avatar
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,493 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
#7
Originally Posted by Dimm View Post
HI! Thanks for your programs
Tried to install on an N800 with almost new 43-7 (+ openssh, mc, python); got the error:


/usr/bin/dpkg-deb -f '/home/user/MyDocs/.documents/console-tools.deb'
/usr/bin/dpkg --install '/home/user/MyDocs/.documents/console-tools.deb'
Selecting previously deselected package console-tools.
(Reading database ... 16923 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking console-tools (from .../.documents/console-tools.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/console-tools.deb (--install):
trying to overwrite '/usr/share/terminfo/x/xterm', which is also in package terminfo-base
Errors were encountered while processing:
/home/user/MyDocs/.documents/console-tools.deb
I looks like I had a conflict with terminfo-base. I have updated the deb so it will not fail if you have terminfo-base installed.
__________________
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
penguinbait's Avatar
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,493 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
#8
Originally Posted by SilverHound View Post
Help pb!

I have tried to install the console tools, but get a message: "Unable to install console-tools".

I am using a N800 with OS cloned to SD. I tried installing it there and got the error message. I then read the installation details and saw that about 9MB is required, but I have about 4.3GB available. Next I tried booting to Flash and installing there, but got the same message. I have about 53MB free in Flash.

Also, when I tried to download from the first source (penguinbait.com) It displayed a garbled text file. But the second source worked fine.

Any suggestions?

ps I am using release 43.7 in both Flash and cloned OS.

Probably same problem as previous post, let me know??
__________________
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2007
#9
Installation worked fine now.
Clone menu shows message:
You have selected to clone all data on Can't make sub-window at (9,3), size (1,5). to Error: Expected at least 7 tokens for --radiolist, have 4. Use --help to list options.

Would we debug it to the end for n800? I could go through all the menu items
 
penguinbait's Avatar
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,493 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
#10
Originally Posted by Dimm View Post
Installation worked fine now.
Clone menu shows message:
You have selected to clone all data on Can't make sub-window at (9,3), size (1,5). to Error: Expected at least 7 tokens for --radiolist, have 4. Use --help to list options.

Would we debug it to the end for n800? I could go through all the menu items
I will have to charge my 800 and update it to see if its 800 related.

Can you tell me more about your system? How many SD installed? What sizes? What partitions have been created?

When you start the menu: pb does it start with a scan and a %bar?
__________________
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
bootmenu, bootmenu-installer, install-tools, mgmt-tools

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:36.