Active Topics

Yeah, seems like a scam... too bad.
Or maybe its a good thing it didn't hit the target $30,000 limit.

Which to be honest, is unusually low. If it was $100,000 minimum it would make sense, but something like $300,000 to play with is more useful.

Even if it was real, and hit the target.... I'm not sure I would even pledge or buy one. Why? Simple... the outdated soc.

Its simply pushing lots of pixels using something that's as fast as the SGS3.
If lucky, the Tegra 3. And these were devices slow at 720p. This much pixels (and desktop programs) would push the soc to its limits most of the time, working in constant high voltage, it'd strain battery life hard.

Its an old processor, old gpu, old ram. No way around it.

They should’ve gone with 3GB RAM (for Ubuntu's sake).

And adopted a 2GHz Quad-A15 with 1.5GHz Quad-A7 SoC.
It's decent on battery life (LITTLE.big), and good performance in concurrent Octa-core mode.

There's some decent offerings form Allwinner, AMLogic, MediaTek and RockChip.
Just as long as they can provide the kernel source and drivers for Android (hence, Linux) it would be possible.

But that page was still good for a few lulz.

I'm flattered

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Was just curious how this project was doing and found their sort of blog with updates. Last update May 19. I'll be amazed if they can deliver.
http://www.ubutabshop.com/ubutab/

Update on first shipment
4 Replies

Good news everyone, our first batch has finally been released from customs back to the manufacturer. Our manufacturer has identified the issue which caused the hold up and is preparing shipment again. The issue was related to some of the units which were pre-loaded with Windows 8.1 but lacked the proper licenses.

This time we are having the Ubuntu units and the Windows units shipped separately to avoid this problem.

Thanks again for everyone’s patience and sorry for the lack of updates
This entry was posted in UbuTab on May 19, 2015 by TeamUbuTab.
First shipment on their way! – Update
12 Replies

-Update
Our first batch is currently being held in customs pending some information needed from our manufacturer. The manufacturer is aware of the issue and is working on providing the necessary information. Thanks again for your patience and understanding.

Our first batch of UbuTabs is on its way to us from the manufacturer! Thanks again for all your patience! We really appreciate everyone’s support and enthusiasm.

If all goes as planned we should be able to begin shipping in about 5 days.
This entry was posted in UbuTab on April 28, 2015 by TeamUbuTab.

They also have a webstore for these tablets now http://www.ubutabshop.com/

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/t...overs#/updates

Hello everyone!!

First of all, I apologize to all who haven't received any e-mail response. We are currently working on getting back to everyone's questions. If you are waiting for a response, please know you will get an e-mail back by the end of this week. If you haven't heard back after that, please try us again so we can help in any way possible.

Secondly, I know you are all anxiously awaiting the tablets. We are still a little bit behind in production. We were disappointed in the quality of the first batch of tablets from the manufacture. We do not feel they were of high enough quality to continue production of the current model. We are working with them to resolve the issues, and hope the next batch is up to our standards. Thank you for your patience in this matter! We are working on getting a few things updated so that we can send everyone the highest quality product. At this point we are looking at another 6-12 weeks before shipment.

I just want to thank everyone for their patience in this matter. We are working hard to get the UbuTab to you as soon as possible, but we don't want to skimp on quality to save time.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to comment or e-mail and we will get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you again for your support and patience!

- UbuTab Team

Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
It is a fake, they will never deliver.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
It is interesting to see how they stretch it out. I do feel for the people who ordered it.
I am divided on if it's a fake or if it's a person who's actually trying but is naive. Also interesting they opened a web store. Pushing it out to September is not a good sign, it was already pushed out.

Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by salyavin View Post
I am divided on if it's a fake or if it's a person who's actually trying but is naive.
no, it is really a fake. there is no 'maybe' or 'small chance', it is a scam by a young girl that will drag this on and on and on and on and on

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
It's nice to see IMHO how easily people part with their money, she's made pretty neat stash by now. (just about 29000 USD now...)

As it is flexi-funding, it means she can keep it all and doesn't need to explain anything to the people she's pulling

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Seems rather short-sighted though. Is US$29k worth your reputation? Obviously she seems to think so.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
How do you know it's really a her? Might be a 50 year old guy in his parents basement.