Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
Posts: 186 | Thanked: 506 times | Joined on Nov 2014
#11
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
Ah right, I have an original Pebble so I don't see any of these problems. The Time looks a bit too Apple for me. I don't think watches should be spoken to
I actually think being able to set alarms, reminders and such things by voice would be pretty awesome... But I guess we've a long way to go yet to get there.
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeHG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
#12
Originally Posted by RobertMe View Post
I'm still alive I've started working on my own Pebble app/daemon.

Running some apps which need to run code on the phone (for internet access, positioning/GPS et cetera) [5]
[5] Support isn't on par with Smokus Pebbled yet, but the missing bits are minor, and shouldn't hurt running most apps.

[1] This will be a lot of work, as I then also need to be able to have some form of communication between the app/UI and the daemon, which I didn't start working on yet.

Afterwards I would then be able to work on things like music control, call/phone control, app store support.
The existing Pebbled already does most of this. Wouldn't it be easier to just fork that? You'd get the UI and the D-Bus API for app/UI communication. You'd get Javispedro's work on the JSKit for running code on the phone. Seems silly to start anew.
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billranton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 186 | Thanked: 506 times | Joined on Nov 2014
#13
Originally Posted by MikeHG View Post
...I find it works pretty well (the notifications are better than I expected - you get a summary of the email / text when it actually appears, even if it just says '2 new emails' or whatever if you look in the notifications app afterwards)...
I stand corrected about this, actually. Seems you only get a summary of the email if you've only got one new email since the previous notification (they appear on the watch at the same time as the phone, but the phone only seems to spit them out every so often), so if you're receiving lots of emails, you won't get anything except "X new emails..."
 

The Following User Says Thank You to MikeHG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 59 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Jun 2012
#14
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
The existing Pebbled already does most of this. Wouldn't it be easier to just fork that? You'd get the UI and the D-Bus API for app/UI communication. You'd get Javispedro's work on the JSKit for running code on the phone. Seems silly to start anew.
Building from scratch means I can "design" everything the way I want to. And I can thus build it in such a way that the features I want to include are easily possible. As in the end I also want the app to be able to be used in combination with the SDK (so the Pebble SDK running on a PC or cloudpebble can send commands to the Pebble app running on SFOS to communicate with the Pebble watchapp).

And properly integrating with the timeline also would have been a lot of work in Smokus Pebble app, and the same goes for notifications (as the solution chosen in Smokus app doesn't allow to update notifications, nor removing them when the notification gets removed on the phone). While rebuilding things like music control and call support are neither complex, nor that time consuming.

And besides the technical reasons it's also a political reason. As Smoku has stopped development (although he's still merging the pull requests) I didn't want to rely too much on him and his app. And as he also has the closed source firmware upgrade support which is only available after donating that could become an issue.
 

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RobertMe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
#15
I understand why you'd want to start from scratch, but that doesn't stop you forking/integrating any parts you're missing without relying on the original project. It's all GPLv3 after all. It's meant to be shared.

We do it together round here after all
 

The Following User Says Thank You to billranton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 17 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Belgium
#16
Originally Posted by RobertMe View Post
Building from scratch means I can "design" everything the way I want to. And I can thus build it in such a way that the features I want to include are easily possible. As in the end I also want the app to be able to be used in combination with the SDK (so the Pebble SDK running on a PC or cloudpebble can send commands to the Pebble app running on SFOS to communicate with the Pebble watchapp).

And properly integrating with the timeline also would have been a lot of work in Smokus Pebble app, and the same goes for notifications (as the solution chosen in Smokus app doesn't allow to update notifications, nor removing them when the notification gets removed on the phone). While rebuilding things like music control and call support are neither complex, nor that time consuming.

And besides the technical reasons it's also a political reason. As Smoku has stopped development (although he's still merging the pull requests) I didn't want to rely too much on him and his app. And as he also has the closed source firmware upgrade support which is only available after donating that could become an issue.
Good to hear,
have you been able to get new watchfaces on the watch? I don't really use the watch right now again because the default watchface is just so plain boring and I would like to use some of the more colorful ones from the store. It would be great if you have some fix for this!
 

The Following User Says Thank You to TomJac For This Useful Post:
Posts: 59 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Jun 2012
#17
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
I understand why you'd want to start from scratch, but that doesn't stop you forking/integrating any parts you're missing without relying on the original project. It's all GPLv3 after all. It's meant to be shared.

We do it together round here after all
Before i start working on a feature I mostly both check Smokus Pebble and Pebbles libpebble2 to get a general idea about how things should work, if there are any pitfalls et cetera. So it's not that I copy/paste over the code of Smokus Pebble, but I do get inspired by it.

Originally Posted by TomJac View Post
Good to hear,
have you been able to get new watchfaces on the watch? I don't really use the watch right now again because the default watchface is just so plain boring and I would like to use some of the more colorful ones from the store. It would be great if you have some fix for this!
This actually consists of three things. App store, making the app known to the Pebble, and being able to send over the app when the Pebble requests it.

The last thing is part of the "unlimited apps" feature. As not all apps are constantly available on the Pebble itself. Sometimes the Pebble needs to download the app from the phone when you start the app. And this is something which I implemented last week and thus works already.

Making the app known to the Pebble shouldn't be that much work. Because it just means sending a single command to the Pebble to insert the apps information into a database on the Pebble. After that you're able to start the app and the Pebble will then automatically request the app from the phone. And getting the apps information can be done by reading the installation file, and is already possible.

Adding support for the app store is much more work. As you need to log in before being able to use the store, and I also like to build it "the right way". Smokus app just loads the website and uses that to browse the apps. But it's also possible to load an app listing and manually show it, which means it can be build using a custom UI and thus be Sailfish like, instead of just showing the website.
 

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RobertMe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 17 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Belgium
#18
Where can we donate for you? :-)
 

The Following User Says Thank You to TomJac For This Useful Post:
Posts: 193 | Thanked: 348 times | Joined on Dec 2009
#19
No pressure, but do you have any sort of eta on a first release? There are quote a few of us that are quite keen to expand the use of our pebbles
 
javispedro's Avatar
Posts: 2,330 | Thanked: 5,197 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
#20
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
. You'd get Javispedro's work on the JSKit for running code on the phone. Seems silly to start anew.
I'd start a new program too. The Time is too different, as usual, and I know the complications of having a single program supporting many smartwatches.

Also, Allerta have mentioned they plan to publish the same software they use on the Time to the original Pebble, so that means that eventually even the older Pebbles would stop working with the original program.

(Note that, if they're still the same Allerta, they will never actually update the older Pebbles, just constantly promise the update is a few months away until everyone forgets about it).

Originally Posted by RobertMe View Post
as the solution chosen in Smokus app doesn't allow to update notifications, nor removing them when the notification gets removed on the phone
It would be more worrysome to me if you don't use libwatchfish for that at least. It's about time we start sharing the common parts of the different Sailfish smartwatch support programs, and why not start with notification support, since there's a shitton ways to get it wrong? (see the older issues such as pebbled "eating" jolla notifications).

I'm happy if you even fork it and make radical changes (the API is not fixed in stone); I will eventually pull them even if they don't apply directly to my branch.

For example, if this gets enough traction, I will push some changes to lipstick to support notification sinks as in the older Meego days, but first I need to know exactly which APIs are required by the different smartwatches... so please use it and make any changes you require!
 

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
pebble, pebble time, sailfish, sailfish os

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 15:04.