Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
Posts: 1,501 | Thanked: 3,046 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
#51
It comes down to how good is band 41 coverage in US by Sprint. Anyone have experience with this carrier?
 

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 611 | Thanked: 2,002 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
#52
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
It comes down to how good is band 41 coverage in US by Sprint. Anyone have experience with this carrier?
Here's what Sprint says regarding BYOD:
Bring your device to a Sprint store or call us at 866-789-8292 . We'll check if it'll work on our network and help you get it activated.
Also:

Eligible devices include: iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s (Verizon only), iPhone 5c (Verizon only), Motorola X Pure Edition (16, 32 & 64 GB – all colors), Nexus 6 (32 & 64 GB – black and white), Nexus 5 (16 & 32 GB – black, white and red), Nexus 5X (all versions), Nexus 6P (all versions), HTC One A9 (Sprint version only), iPad Air 2, iPad Air (Verizon only), iPad mini 4, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 2 (Verizon only) and iPad Pro. Some devices may be eligible, but could have network band limitations that would result in a subpar experience. Some devices that may not be eligible. Devices must be unlocked domestically by your current carrier before switching. We will not accept lost/stolen devices. Features and network experience may vary based on original device carrier. Restrictions apply.
Love the fact that compatibility of some phones varies by color. Reminds me of the Car Talk radio guys getting stumped by a question and asking what color the car is to give them time to think (or think up a joke).

Sprint also says no prepaid BYOD plans.
 

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,143 | Thanked: 9,969 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
#53
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
Love the fact that compatibility of some phones varies by color. Reminds me of the Car Talk radio guys getting stumped by a question and asking what color the car is to give them time to think (or think up a joke).
Just like N9 software versions, there exist different download of EMMC & rootFS based on the memory model (16G/64G) and the color of the device; except that all the downloads for a given country variant are exactly the same file when downloaded from Nokia servers...
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Cambridge, England
#54
Interesting update from Ubuntu, convergence on Meizu Pro 5, video here
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 338 | Thanked: 496 times | Joined on Oct 2010
#55
Originally Posted by richie View Post
Interesting update from Ubuntu, convergence on Meizu Pro 5, video here
It's potentially great.

On SD820 or equivalent chipsets, this can be really quick (though the Exynos 7420 is no slouch). Though I'd much prefer a wired solution (MHL).

Still not sure why people aren't using the MX4 / MX5 Pro for Sailfish ports. The libhybris adaptation work has already been done on them. It ought to remove a lot of the headaches. 2 years on, the Nexus 5 port (most mature) is still being adapted and bugfixed ...

Last edited by bluefoot; 2016-06-03 at 03:26.
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,375 | Thanked: 1,596 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
#56
Regarding the Pro 5 and mira/aethercast, there have been queries about display resolution; apparently it is streamed 720 then up-sampled by the dongle. So yes, MHL / DisplayPort is preferable (such as the Bq M10 tablet). I imagine that the next iteration of UT phones will have that too.
 
Posts: 338 | Thanked: 496 times | Joined on Oct 2010
#57
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
Regarding the Pro 5 and mira/aethercast, there have been queries about display resolution; apparently it is streamed 720 then up-sampled by the dongle. So yes, MHL / DisplayPort is preferable (such as the Bq M10 tablet). I imagine that the next iteration of UT phones will have that too.
Apparently OTA-15 is intended to be a big milestone ... and I know Sony are still actively assessing UT.

Fingers crossed there'll be more later in the year.
 
Posts: 1,375 | Thanked: 1,596 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
#58
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
Apparently OTA-15 is intended to be a big milestone ... and I know Sony are still actively assessing UT.

Fingers crossed there'll be more later in the year.
I hope so too. But, unless the dev team gets enlarged, I fear they never will get to present a polished experience. There is loads happening, really exciting stuff, but still the UI stutters. I showed my Mx4 to a programmer, busy learning to code for IOS. Swipe right, swipe right. "That is stuttering" was the spontaneous comment

Now, I could care less about that. But just about every review of UT from the first BQ phone to the 5 Pro has commented the same. Crap PR. Improvements of load times and paging between scopes are promised. I really hope so, and before the next generation of devices.
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 338 | Thanked: 496 times | Joined on Oct 2010
#59
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
I hope so too. But, unless the dev team gets enlarged, I fear they never will get to present a polished experience. There is loads happening, really exciting stuff, but still the UI stutters. I showed my Mx4 to a programmer, busy learning to code for IOS. Swipe right, swipe right. "That is stuttering" was the spontaneous comment

Now, I could care less about that. But just about every review of UT from the first BQ phone to the 5 Pro has commented the same. Crap PR. Improvements of load times and paging between scopes are promised. I really hope so, and before the next generation of devices.
IIRC a major overhaul of animations and some UI elements (together perhaps with some rendering back end) is meant to occur soonish.

But yeah, the dev team is tiny, and a huge amount of their time is spent on getting everything working with the stuff added upstream in the full desktop distro.

Still, they're getting a lot done, and Canonical not devoting too many resources before they have a solid base is probably a good thing.

My main concern is with Scopes ... they've been harmful to the whole project, IMO. They should have pushed native app development and the SDK much harder.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 15:26.