Active Topics

 



Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
Posts: 2 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Mar 2017
#211
Moto Z Play has a headphone jack and for me its much better than flagship model, It lasts longer on the battery and doesn't heat up too much. And of course its compatible with moto mods
 

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Trzyzet For This Useful Post:
chenliangchen's Avatar
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 3,788 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
#212
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
Again, it would be really cool if you succeed! It would really be impressive! But show a working prototype. No problem if it is a mockup on one side and working keyboard with dev-package casing. I would hate for the project to fail and leave hundreds of people angry because it will ruin the -at this point already- miniscule market for smartphones that are not completely boring.

Make and show a working proto before you take peoples money. Don't think that is a lot to ask for. Prove me wrong and I will join your volunteer marketing army.
Thank you for all the info!

I launched IGG compaign before showing prototype only because Moto/Indiegogo has a deadline of March 6th to take part in their official "Transform the Smartphone" challenge - with the selected winner has oppotunity to travel to Chicago and discuss potential investment and selling channels. They will also offer engineering support.

I did asked Moto/IGG if it is OK we start crowdfunding without prototype first, and they are perfectly happy and in fact, they encouraged doing so, and they are also happy to offer future engineering support, which I don't need at this stage.

Further more this is a fixed amount, I am not just taking money for nothing.

I do welcome you to join once prototype is out there. And by the time if you have any suggestions/ideas/criticism about product or engineering, you are always welcomed!
__________________
Please support my work on The Next QWERTY Slider!
 

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 5,588 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
#213
Engineering idea/suggestion: make a working prototype



Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
I hope his behaviour does not end up like his product.
Haha classic. You mean end up like a succesfull campaign with working proto followed by an actual working product delivered to every backer. I don't think you are actually making something, you are just -as we say in Holland- making people happy with a dead bird. Make a working prototype.

Last edited by dirkvl; 2017-04-15 at 12:43.
 

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
mosen's Avatar
Posts: 683 | Thanked: 4,166 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ germoney
#214
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
Haha classic. You mean end up like a succesfull campaign with working proto followed by an actual working product delivered to every backer.
Don't lie to yourself. You had success in the media but your product did not meet your announced and self set standard of "Delivering the ultimate tactile KBD"...
Please have the decency to wait with throwing dirt gifs until something actually fails now.
And even then, think back to the point in time when the community did not send your imperfect 100$ KBD collectively back to your door just because no one had the intention to ruin you but forgivingly accepted that it was fun while it lasted
You really think you delivered a product?
No, you where paid for your makerspace entertainment show with physical memorabilia attached.
I hoped you realized the situation back then but now it looks like you still have to.
 

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 5,588 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
#215
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Don't lie to yourself. You had success in the media but your product did not meet your announced and self set standard of "Delivering the ultimate tactile KBD"...
That sounds like a matter of opinion and how crowdfunding works, "delivering mid-range quality" is not in the title of any campaign. Luckily I had a working product before the campaign, with pictures and videos so people knew exactly what they were paying for.

Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Please have the decency to wait with throwing dirt gifs until something actually fails now.
So throwing dirt about imaginary product being better is cool?

Originally Posted by mosen View Post
And even then, think back to the point in time when the community did not send your imperfect 100$ KBD collectively back to your door just because no one had the intention to ruin you but forgivingly accepted that it was fun while it lasted
You really think you delivered a product?
No, you where paid for your makerspace entertainment show with physical memorabilia attached.
I hoped you realized the situation back then but now it looks like you still have to.
Jeez, well thanks. Sure it was a cute project with a very prototypy end product. Still, people knew exactly what they were getting and they got it.

I'll take your advice and wait. I hope chenliangchen makes a cool prototype thats works, stirs a lot of media, gets his campaign funded and delivers.
 

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,231 | Thanked: 3,733 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
#216
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Don't lie to yourself. You had success in the media but your product did not meet your announced and self set standard of "Delivering the ultimate tactile KBD"...
Ultimate tactile keyboard with respect to what ?
Psion 5/5MX/7/Netbook ? Ok, Psion's mechanical keyboards are way better than any netbook/notebook typical computer.
Compared to N8x0/N900 ? The TOHKBD was better in some aspects, worse in others.

Originally Posted by mosen View Post
And even then, think back to the point in time when the community did not send your imperfect 100$ KBD collectively back to your door just because no one had the intention to ruin you but forgivingly accepted that it was fun while it lasted
You really think you delivered a product?.
TOHKBD works well with my Jolla 1 for some years, no problems until now.
Yes, the TOHKBD team delivered a product (hardware and software).

By the way, I hope Moto Z hardware keyboard project has 1000% success.
__________________
Python, C/C++, Qt and CAS developer. For Maemo/MeeGo/Sailfish :
Integral, Derivative, Limit - calculating mathematical integrals, derivatives and limits. SymPy - Computer Algebra System.
MatPlotLib - 2D & 3D plots in Python. IPython - Python interactive shell.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
2 Jolla 1, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet. 2 Nokia N9. Nexus 4 with Sailfish. Nokia N900 & N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2017-04-15 at 19:52.
 

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
mosen's Avatar
Posts: 683 | Thanked: 4,166 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ germoney
#217
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
I'll take your advice and wait. I hope chenliangchen makes a cool prototype thats works, stirs a lot of media, gets his campaign funded and delivers.
Puuuh, great!
You did really really well and none of us could have gotten close to what you three accomplished because it was a unique and special momentum you created. It was a heartwarming story more than a product. (To correct my false "no product" statement!)

It is a great achievement of yours and i will show off TOHKBD2 and tell its great story for years to come.
Chen does a slightly different thing.
His momentum train is the moto-mod campaign and starting without a prototype is rooted in those circumstances.
I ask nothing more than giving chen the same advantage of a doubt than everyone gave to you

Last edited by mosen; 2017-04-15 at 20:12.
 

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
chenliangchen's Avatar
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 3,788 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
#218
@Mosen: Thanks for the encouragement, you know what happened

@all: Regarding prototype: It was facing an unexpected issue - We first used Motos dev board for prototype, but the top part thickness I think we can still improve - so we re-made the PCB layout, to move the components to the sides and empty the middle to fit the sliding frame, and to reduce thickness. The new layout was facing software issue and we were working with Moto to get the main connection work again, which has been solved. The proto is still under test and assembling, just don't want to show a half baked product before it's ready. Attached is some components. We are also performing test and validation for the sliding structure.

@Dirk: I know you had a prototype before campaign, but that did not mean any other campaign need to start with a product. In fact nearly all the Moto Mod related campaigns has no prototype.

I don't want to publish any unfinished work before product get finalised. As mentioned above, we are trying to make this product world class standard (That differs from yours) it just take this amount of time to get the SW and structure correct.

We will get this project funded out of IGG and in a much bigger scale. (In real world big players never doubt about our ability of making this product in industrial standard) Which makes "proof of early prototype" or anything which differs from final product less important now on IGG.
Attached Images
    
__________________
Please support my work on The Next QWERTY Slider!

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2017-04-15 at 20:54.
 

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
nthn's Avatar
Posts: 476 | Thanked: 1,560 times | Joined on Jun 2014
#219
Dirk, in plaats van de hele tijd zo pisnijdig te reageren op iemand anders die TOHKBD maar dan beter gaat maken kan je ook gewoon grappige geitenfilmpjes kijken op YouTube, dan ben je snel van je frustraties verlost.
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 5,588 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
#220
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
@Mosen: Thanks for the encouragement, you know what happened

@all: Regarding prototype: It was facing an unexpected issue - We first used Motos dev board for prototype, but the top part thickness I think we can still improve - so we re-made the PCB layout, to move the components to the sides and empty the middle to fit the sliding frame, and to reduce thickness. The new layout was facing software issue and we were working with Moto to get the main connection work again, which has been solved. The proto is still under test and assembling, just don't want to show a half baked product before it's ready. Attached is some components. We are also performing test and validation for the sliding structure.

@Dirk: I know you had a prototype before campaign, but that did not mean any other campaign need to start with a product. In fact nearly all the Moto Mod related campaigns has no prototype.

I don't want to publish any unfinished work before product get finalised. As mentioned above, we are trying to make this product world class standard (That differs from yours) it just take this amount of time to get the SW and structure correct.

We will get this project funded out of IGG and in a much bigger scale. (In real world big players never doubt about our ability of making this product in industrial standard) Which makes "proof of early prototype" or anything which differs from final product less important now on IGG.
Oh wow, you actually made some parts, cool! Flex connector between the parts is going to be 'challenging' to say the least. Well, this is a big step up, good luck!
 

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
crowdfunding, hwkbd

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:42.