Active Topics

Posts: 131 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Netherlands
Wow, impressive.

I always blamed the contact points of the sim-holder for those telephony errors, but never thought of the chips themselves being the culprit.

Good job, guys.

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Russia
Glad to help someone

Originally Posted by jabawok View Post
hopefully ready for another few years of faithful service.
I did the same procedure a month after first, but after that it works for several months already.

I opened my phone about 10 times already for various reasons

thanks a lot it solved my problem now it sees my sim

va ofera laptopuri ieftine din clasa business la cele mai mici preturi. Laptopurile business class sunt construite din componente de cea mai buna calitate garantand astfel o functionalitate de lunga durata.

Originally Posted by ForeverYoung View Post
What? Repair process?

Open N900, look manual. It's in Russian, you can find it in English I think.
Or watch this.
Do steps 1-13.

Open GSM module shield with thin screwdriver (shield is not soldered, it is closed like box).
Then glue some springs and close everything in reverse order.

Some more photos covering my specific steps.
Indeed this worked, thank you oh so much!

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Porto Alegre - RS - Brazil
Holly Crap! That worked for me too! Here i used a pen spring, that was easy to cut (2 turns). THANKS A LOT!!!! The sign itīs perfect now (before that, if i put my hands in entire back part of the phone, the signal was lost. Now, not even a single line of the signal is lost . Now to be back to life, my N900 only needs a original digitizer (the ebay one sucks a lot in touch screen) and the 2 screws that i broke

Best Regards,

Germano.

Originally Posted by ForeverYoung View Post
For me, it wasn't software error. When I shaked the phone too hard, about 8-10 seconds after "SIM failure", "CMT reset,,," in logs, etc.

I decided to open the phone. I opened it to motherboard. On the side where battery is, there is cell module (when you remove battery, there is sim card holder and free space with some label, so cell module is behind it).
So, I opened shield around cell module. There are 4 ICs under it. I made something like little springs, glued it to ICs, and closed shield. Shield distended a little.
springs photo

So, in conclusion, no sim failure after this. Before, if I keep phone in pocket and walk, failure was every 2 minutes.
Problem was even if open slider too fast.

I will write a post later with more photos.
Thaaaanks man !!! It works like a charm. I did it using pen's spring parts but the idea is the same. Now i've got two N900 100% functional.
Thanks again.

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Madrid, Spain
Just a mee too note. Now I have two fully functional n900s, I'll be using it until they come up with something better.

Very interesting idea for a fix - which, BTW, support theory that reflowing would fix this issue permanently.

I think that it's first "real" solution, after not-entirely-real infamous hammering (literally) pins. I'll try to convince moderators to separate this thread since Forever's post, and make it sticky - after all, they could get some real work, and take little break from banning innocent people

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Russia
Actually, my phone is breaking again and again, maybe because I added too strong springs, maybe because I opened it too many times, so its body became wobbly (is this right word?).

So I bought another one on ebay, "new" (seems to be "almost" real new).
But it has problem with wifi, when it's on and connected, it becomes warm and eats battery very fast. Does anybody know how to fix this?

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by Germano View Post
Holly Crap! That worked for me too! Here i used a pen spring, that was easy to cut (2 turns). THANKS A LOT!!!! The sign itīs perfect now (before that, if i put my hands in entire back part of the phone, the signal was lost. Now, not even a single line of the signal is lost . Now to be back to life, my N900 only needs a original digitizer (the ebay one sucks a lot in touch screen) and the 2 screws that i broke

Best Regards,

Germano.
On a slight tangent from the main gist of this thread, and possibly 2 months too late, but this may be of use to someone.

When I stripped the heads on a screw under the screen, I remember doing some research and I think I came up with M1.4x2.8 M1.4x5 as the two types used. It was over a year ago when I did the research, it might have come from one of the strip down pdfs.
Anyway, I asked googled around and found a place that sold them, but because I only wanted a few, the guy sent me some as samples. (Unfortunately, the ones he had were M1.4x3, so slightly too long, but they did the job).