Active Topics

I suggest a bounty thread where users pledge for what they want and how much they're willing to pay to get it.
A request can be for anything to do with Maemo from bug hunts to reverse engineering.

Template to Request Bounty:
Code:
  Bounty:   	Amount you are willing to pay
  Requirements: What are the requirements to claim the bounty?
  Type:     	What type of request is it? Bugs/Memory Leaks/Replacement/Reverse Engineer/Porting/Translations/Upstream/Other
  File/Package: What is the file/package in question to look at?
  Location/URL: Where can the bounty hunter find the package/file?
  Additional Details: Is there any details which could help the bounty hunter?
Example:
Code:
  Bounty:   	$10USD
  Requirements: Provide source code, working deb file
  Type:     	Reverse Engineering
  File:     	libicd_log.so
  Size:     	4KB
  Location/URL: http://repository.maemo.org/pool/fremantle/nokia-binaries/********************************/nokia-binaries/i/icd2/libicd2_0.87%2bfremantle9%2b0m5_i386.deb
  Additional Details: http://maemo.org/api_refs/5.0/5.0-final/icd2/icd__log_8c.html
	Size of libicd_log.so is 4KB
After a request has been made, the first post of this thread can be updated with the request.
Or alternatively a Wiki can be set up.

Template of Requested Bounty:
Code:
  Bounty:   	Total amount users are willing to pay
  Users Requesting: Who is throwing in money?          
  Requirements: 	What are the requirements to claim the bounty?
  Claimed:			Has the bounty been claimed?
  Bounty Hunters:	Are there any bounty hunters working on it?
  Type:     	What type of request is it? Bugs/Memory Leaks/Replacement/Reverse Engineer/Porting/Other
  File/Package: What is the file/package in question to look at?
  Location/URL: Where can the bounty hunter find the package/file?
  Additional Details: Is there any details which could help the bounty hunter?
Let me know if you think this is a good idea/could this be improved.
If it is a good idea I'll change the title of this thread.

TL;DR:
Bounty thread. Good Idea?
If yes, Bounty list be updated in first post of thread or Wiki?
Have a Request? Use template.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Ilew For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
I did a similar thing for myself, see this thread.

So I adapted it for multi user. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Few/edit#gid=0

An online spreadsheet is the best way to do it, imho, and there's no need reinventing the wheel.

New stuff in the spreadsheet:
Reservations - if a developer is interested in developing an app for a bounty, he may reserve it. I suggest max. 3 reservations per dev.
Start threshold - the developer promises, that if the sum of pledged donations reaches the threshold, he will start developing the app without any new requirements (which can be added in developer comments). The threshold doesn't have to be always provided. Please think before setting up the threshold, don't create a moving target. Of course, the dev can always decrease the threshold

The spreadsheet was refactored a little, besides. Feel free to use it

Technical notes: if user A reserves app X for Fremantle, please don't add your reservation for Harmattan before asking It may be sometimes trivial to port an app

/edit: mods: it may be a good idea to merge it with this thread of mine. There's a lot of information in various places.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Last edited by marmistrz; 2015-08-29 at 17:00.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Great ideas marmistrz, the threads should definitely be merged.

You will probably have to update your thread title and the post as I wasn't able to find it with a quick search before making this thread.

However your thread seems to also be only focusing on app development and you doing all the work rather than:
  • Fixing bugs/memory leak that could be added to CSSU
  • Reversing/rewriting closed packages that are needed to work on NeoFremantle
Could a type column be added to your excel spreadsheet and the first post be updated to reflect that anyone can claim the bounty?

Finally my only problem with excel is that it may get messy and hard to find bounties.
Maybe adding a filter/sort that doesn't default to using a filter/sort would fix it?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ilew For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
why dont these kind of threads get sticky or a at a immediately visible place i.e it can only help devlopment by getting more exposure

there are many threads that kind of need more exposure for a better experience on our devices in 2015
my take on that is to collect thread links to a wiki then link it somewhere in talk as its the first place most people look into

??

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
we had/have a similar bounty free list over on etherpad i was working through. my only issue with this kind of approach is when one dev does a lot of work only to hit a roadblock right at the end that requires input from others.

jointly, marmistrz and myself hit an issue with upstream dropping qt4 support whilst working on an embedlite based replacement for microb.

i tried to build jasper, an existing siri like project only to encounter gfortran isn't built for our gcc4.7 toolchain. i didn't want to link each package against a different libgcc so raised issue with council.

love2d had a bounty offered, not that i was really interested in that. Had to port SDL2, built a patch to allow supporting GLES1 and 2, repackaged SDL2, upgraded libdevil, tested by porting libretro-prboom, patched love2d and the build failed right at the end during linking, possibly due to a problem with the toolchain based on what i'd read in a linaro bug report. sent files over to fmg to see if he could recreate it.

Finally, I posted a request for comments on the solution to an issue with perl modules so that I can fix get_iplayer. both options work as i run 2.94 on device. No input from anyone so I've not posted either option suggested so get_iplayer remains unusable in repo.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Good point Android_808.

I think you would be able to split the bounty with the helper or someone just passes on the bounty.

Though if you hit a roadblock and there's no one able/doesn't want to help then I really don't know how to answer that.
If it's a council issue maybe the best time to ask about it is during one of their meetings?
Do you think the repos are going to be a constant issue in regards to bounties?

Everyone please let me know if you disagree with merging threads with marmistrz's thread.
If I get no negative feedback in a week, I'll assume that it's okay.

I would however like to keep discussing potential issues in this thread and hopefully we can come up with some solutions.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ilew For This Useful Post:
Android_808 pointed important things. And much of it is connected with the infra. (Community Council, I'm looking at you)

There's absolutely no way to autobuild stuff with new toolchain. gcc4.7 works for some packages on Hathor only, for some - on Apophis. Some packages need newer compiler. I suggested a potential way of doing this long time ago, but didn't receive attention or even a "thanks"

Maybe another tab for "community projects" would be a good idea? And I thought about the same - splitting the bounty.

Feel free to edit the spreadsheet in any way you like as long as it stays honest.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Is the council the correct first point of contact about problems involving the infra?
Maybe it's best to get permission from techstaff first and then get approval from council later?

Hopefully a techstaff, Council member or both could comment on that?
Since I know us owning the infra is fairly new they might just not have a documented way of doing it.

Btw could you post a link to your toolchain suggestion here?

A community projects tab couldn't hurt. If it doesn't get used it can simply be removed again.

When I get around to it, I'll make the changes in a new tab and then delete the old one once I got your approval.

about the council: idk;

There's one more problem with the infra, old as the hills. If one uploads a package by mistake, one has to ask the techstaff for removing this; this usually takes a long time or even never happens, some x11proto-input-dev is still there in the repos, breaking the scratchbox target. And it dates to the beginnings of meecolay

here the suggestion: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...5&postcount=10
And, sorry, have to take my words back, one Wikiwide did thank for it

Yes, please add a community projects tab but not delete the bounty tab. They should complement each other.

I'll have limited availability until the end of this week, please be patient. Worst-case scenario is that I'll reply next Monday.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post: