Active Topics

Originally Posted by cr0c0 View Post
This part i did not research... Where do you get the debs for free apps on the nokia store? I can definitely live with that solution. My main concern is that if i flash the n9 from scratch, and i do a restore, these apps may not be installable if they went to paid.
Browse to the free app in ovi, replace the web address from ? onwards with /download/ and press enter.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SamGan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 53 | Thanked: 90 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Manaus, Brazil
Originally Posted by cr0c0 View Post
This part i did not research... Where do you get the debs for free apps on the nokia store? I can definitely live with that solution. My main concern is that if i flash the n9 from scratch, and i do a restore, these apps may not be installable if they went to paid.
I guess they check by the phone IMEI. So they always know which applications you had installed through Ovi (either paid and free). So as long as you keep using the same Nokia account and same phone, I suppose you will be able to reinstall the applications.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto, Canada
Originally Posted by lizardo View Post
I guess they check by the phone IMEI. So they always know which applications you had installed through Ovi (either paid and free). So as long as you keep using the same Nokia account and same phone, I suppose you will be able to reinstall the applications.
I hope that works, because I have two N9 16Gb under the same Nokia account. On one N9 the wallpaper I mentioned in the first post is already installed, but I could not install it on the second one.

In other words, I can at least confirm that paid Nokia apps are not dependent solely on the account. The interesting thing I noticed is unlike real apps, the wallpaper cannot be uninstalled either through Settings or Store. So I cannot test the IMEI theory by uninstalling it and reinstalling it without resetting the phone.

Edit: And yes, I agree installing wallpapers from the store is mildly stupid, especially paid ones. But this one looked good, was free, and was the first "app" I installed on my new N9.

Last edited by cr0c0; 2012-03-29 at 15:38.

Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by l32606 View Post
I've asked the same questine to nokia store. The answer is YES.
But if you downloaded the app when it's free, you can update it without payment, even through it changes from a free app to a paid one.

so don't worry about that if you have installed them...
This is incorrect.
When apps become paid, if you downloaded the previous free version, you have to pay to upgrade, or if you need to redownload (due to moving to a new device or just because you uninstalled the app). I've experienced this personally with MusiKloud, and Gerbick's post #7 doesn't make sense otherwise.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Same here, I can't update some QAD apps because they wen't from free to paid (although the dev wanted the app to remain free for the early testers).

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto, Canada
Thanks for all the help guys, I've just downloaded all the apps I'm currently using. If they ever become paid, at least I can install the current version.

Does anyone actually knows what Nokia Store policy is for publishers on pricing? Any commercial developers here?

I am sure the N9 Store policy is same across other nokia devices and platforms.